Can the PS3 play Blu-Ray at 720p?

Haze

Established Member
Reaction score
Seem to be a bit of conflicting data floating around online about this so I thought I would just ask, can the PS3 display Blu-Ray discs at 720p?

Well I've just tried this with my PS3 and unfortunately with 720p set as my display mode it plays blu-rays in 480p. However if I select 1080i as my display mode then it plays blu-rays in 1080i and as most 720p TVs made support 1080i you should be fine.

Given that most of the material people will be watching on blu ray will be films then 1080i isn't necessarily such an evil, it just depends on how your tv deals with it.

I am sure it has been mentioned on these forums many times how the two consecutive frames from film material are actually two halves of the same picture rather than a true interlaced source where each frame would be from a slightly different image, so as long as your tv handles this properly those two frames can be combined to make a single frame of film without any loss in pq.

Having said that apparently a lot of displays do not do this properly so it would be nice if Sony could add 720p to the PS3 through a firmware fix in the future, if it is possible

Given that most of the material people will be watching on blu ray will be films then 1080i isn't necessarily such an evil, it just depends on how your tv deals with it.

I am sure it has been mentioned on these forums many times how the two consecutive frames from film material are actually two halves of the same picture rather than a true interlaced source where each frame would be from a slightly different image, so as long as your tv handles this properly those two frames can be combined to make a single frame of film without any loss in pq.

Having said that apparently a lot of displays do not do this properly so it would be nice if Sony could add 720p to the PS3 through a firmware fix in the future, if it is possible

My TV is a LVC 32X70, its Scaler/deinterlacer is topnotic. That said I haven't really seen any 1080i video on it yet so I can't say for sure.

If you have your HDMI display mode options set to Auto with 'ticks' against 1080i, 720p, 480p then the PS3 will pick the most appropriate autoswitching to 720p for games that don't support 1080i and using 1080i for the main menu and blu-rays. DVD's and PS1/PS2 games will play back at 480p.

If you have a 1080p TV then you'll probably have a 1080p option to tick (don't forget, not all games have a 1080i/1080p support).

Well I've just tried this with my PS3 and unfortunately with 720p set as my display mode it plays blu-rays in 480p. However if I select 1080i as my display mode then it plays blu-rays in 1080i and as most 720p TVs made support 1080i you should be fine.

Anything sold in Europe with a HD-READY logo on it, will display 1080i and 720p.

If you TV has a HD-READY logo on it, you have absolutly nothing to worry about. It's the early HD adopters, with their partial HD support, is where the problems lay...

Anything sold in Europe with a HD-READY logo on it, will display 1080i and 720p.

If you TV has a HD-READY logo on it, you have absolutly nothing to worry about. It's the early HD adopters, with their partial HD support, is where the problems lay...
well there is no problem with movies actually, since they are always in 1080p. Every TV set that supports 720p supports 1080i as well.

Problem is with games, because some older TV's dont support 720p and there are 720p games.

I think that all the European HD TV's (pre-HD Ready) have supported 720P, the lack of 720P support seems to be a US issue. I believe the problem is that there are some early Europe/UK HD sets that don't support 1080i.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom