thumbnail or cover art for movies on ps3

pete18

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I tried to add thumbnail for movies on my ps3 I am able to do this on my movies that are on my PS3 Hard drive by playing the movie and pause the video at the point you want the thumbnail animation to start, then hit Triangle and choose “Change Icon”. The next 15 seconds of video are rendered to a little thumbnail in not very much time.

for some reason I can't get it to work on my external hard drive the icon change buttons is there but won't let me in

is there a way like on windows media centre to add art work of movies on the folder.

many thanks

Pete

I tried to add thumbnail for movies on my ps3 I am able to do this on my movies that are on my PS3 Hard drive by playing the movie and pause the video at the point you want the thumbnail animation to start, then hit Triangle and choose “Change Icon”. The next 15 seconds of video are rendered to a little thumbnail in not very much time.

for some reason I can't get it to work on my external hard drive the icon change buttons is there but won't let me in

is there a way like on windows media centre to add art work of movies on the folder.

many thanks

Pete

Coverart only works for streamed media (using PS3 Media Server) or files stored on the internal hard drive I'm afraid

Hi All

my first post ever

i had same niggle did a bit of homework
im using ps3 media server
with cover art from
PS3 Media Server - Thumbnail Generator V2.00 - Author: Boz Bundalo
hope links are allowed sorry if not
works well on external usb hard drives
on a network or just plugged right to the ps3
hope this helps out

I tried to get this to work in the past for DVD ISO's but the cover art would not appear, do you happen to know the file extension from a DVD ISO rip using DVD Fab to get this to work?

hi
say the film is called Holiday.avi
use cover art and call it the same as film title and add to the end .cover.png
example
Holiday.avi.cover.png
also put it in the same folder as the film

would like to know if it works for you
all the best

hi
say the film is called Holiday.avi
use cover art and call it the same as film title and add to the end .cover.png
example
Holiday.avi.cover.png
also put it in the same folder as the film

would like to know if it works for you
all the best

Thanks I tried this and it didn't work - I am sure it is something I am doing wrong, the problem seems to be the file names that DVD Fab creates are long strings, I found some discussions elsewhere with people having similar problems with DVD Fab rips and there was an alternative suggestion that I'm going to try.

I'll get back to you once I figure it out - thanks again for the cover generator link this will be very handy once its all working.

Last edited:
I would like to organize my files better as well and have coverart and video thumbnails.

Right now my music, video and photos are on a hpserver, I use twonky to collect my media and its streams nicely to my ps3.

where would I install ps3 media server? on my hpserver, ps3 or my pc?

and will it interfere with my twonky system?

I would like to organize my files better as well and have coverart and video thumbnails.

Right now my music, video and photos are on a hpserver, I use twonky to collect my media and its streams nicely to my ps3.

where would I install ps3 media server? on my hpserver, ps3 or my pc?

and will it interfere with my twonky system?

Install PS3 Media Server on your PC (or your HPServer if it's running a Win or Linux OS)

Once you start using PS3 Media server you won't want to use Twonky any more. It does everythnig Twonky does only better and with extra features.

tx for the quick reply,

I am running windows home server on my hpserver, is ps3 media server compatible with that?

if yes, is the setup pretty straightforward?

tx for the quick reply,

I am running windows home server on my hpserver, is ps3 media server compatible with that?

if yes, is the setup pretty straightforward?

Yes. works fine with WHS.

download the EXE and install. Simple as. No cedcs or anything required as everything you need is in the EXE.

It has a LOT of config options but to start with just look at the navigation/share tab to add/remove the specific folders you want to see on the PS3 (by default it will make every drive visible to the PS3)

As your running WHS you will probably want to use the "install as a service" option from the General config tab once installed.

Take a look in the PS3 Media Guide linked in my sig for more info on PS3MS

excellent, so I will be able to control my ps3 media server settings (see note below) from my pc once the ps3 media server is installed remotely ? (i have no monitor hooked up to my hp server)

"You can configure Add-ins on the Add-ins page of Windows® Home Server Settings. Add-ins add additional features and functionality to Windows Home Server. For example, an Add-in might add a new tab to the Windows Home Server Console so you can manage a new service or feature. The Add-in vendor creates an .msi file that you install on your home server using the Windows Home Server Console."

Not used it on WHS myself as i stopped using WHS a while back but even if it doesn't show as a proper 'add-in' you can always just remote desktop the WHS server with MSTSC.exe

To be honest though once you have it installed and configured you will rarley touch it.

There is no recanning shared folders and stuff like in some DLNA streaming servers. it just looks after itself ;

if I am able to watch and stream all the video types I have been streaming so far will that change using ps3 media server?

I have read some posts like this (its recent):
- Convert your vobs into one big VOB and then convert that vob into one big MPEG
- Convert the ripped Dvds into a format that the PS3 likes, like mp4, avi, etc...

As you can see, this is why the PS3 is fair from an ideal streaming device
"

if I am able to watch and stream all the video types I have been streaming so far will that change using ps3 media server?

I have read some posts like this (its recent):
- Convert your vobs into one big VOB and then convert that vob into one big MPEG
- Convert the ripped Dvds into a format that the PS3 likes, like mp4, avi, etc...

As you can see, this is why the PS3 is fair from an ideal streaming device"

what format's are you movies in now?

I'm not aware of anything Twonky can stream that Ps3MS won't. The opposite infact. PS3MS will transcode anythnig the PS3 can't play into a format the PS3 will play (e.g. MKV)

i'll take a step back, I just installed the ps3 media server and I am able to see the ps3 media bar on my ps3

I can't see any of my videos, photos and music,

I checked enable media library and restarted.
Do I need to add folders manually? right now it says <all drives> so I had assume everything would sync

I actually get a DLNA protocol error (2104) has occurred when I try and access my media files on my ps3

update, i forgot to install as a windows service so I did that quit and rebooted but I still cannot see any of my media on my ps3, I can see see the PS3MS bar and stuff like youtube, gametrailers (although they don't work when i try and view - i get data corrupted error when trying to access these other tabs) -- I no longer am getting the DLNA error

update #2 - i don't know what I did but I can now see my media files - hoorah!

some of the thumbnails automatically created for videos are ok and some are pretty bad (grey screen) and a very very very small percentage of my audio cover art folders were carried over (I left it to default) . I have no idea how to fix the video thumbnails or the audio cover art but I'll keep plugging for now

Last edited:
just getting started here with thumbnails and cover art

That site that dandee suggested is pretty cool
PS3 Media Server - Thumbnail Generator V2.00 - Author: Boz Bundalo

I use itunes so all my music files are in there specific folders but my videos are categorized like this movies, tv shows etc..

1) if I want to use a site like dandee suggested does that mean I need a invididual folder for every movie like my music ? eg. Batman Folder\batman.mt2s and batman.mt2s.cover.png inside the folder?

1b) is there a way to create cover art for the actuall folder itself? eg. Batman folder?

2) If I prefer to have all movies in a the same folder, all tv shows in the same folder, how do I go about editing the video thumbnails that were automatically created? like I said in my previous post some of the thumbnails are crap

bottom line I am trying to figure out how to categorize and organize my media files on my ps3, I am familiar with apple products like apple tv which are a little easier to get a hang of

Last edited:
1) if I want to use a site like dandee suggested does that mean I need a invididual folder for every movie like my music ? eg. Batman Folder\batman.mt2s and batman.mt2s.cover.png inside the folder?

1b) is there a way to create cover art for the actuall folder itself? eg. Batman folder?

2) If I prefer to have all movies in a the same folder, all tv shows in the same folder, how do I go about editing the video thumbnails that were automatically created? like I said in my previous post some of the thumbnails are crap

bottom line I am trying to figure out how to categorize and organize my media files on my ps3, I am familiar with apple products like apple tv which are a little easier to get a hang of

Those video thumbnails always look nasty eh...Custom boxart looks so much nicer. Even easier than using that cover art generator is just doing a google image search for "moviename DVD" or "moviename Bluray" then right click\saveas and save it to the folder the movie is in as moviename.avi.cover.jpg

Now coverart is where PS3MS is quite clever.

If you want to have a folder with all your movies in together then that's fine. Just drop in a jpg or png image named the same as each of your movie's suffixed with "cover.jpg" into the same folder.

So in your movies folder you will have

Movie1.avi
Movie1.avi.cover.jpg
Movie2
Movie2.vob.cover.jpg
etc..etc..

Obviously for a folder of all the same media (TV Shows etc)..the above is a PITA so you can also just drop a jpg named "folder.jpg" into the folder of videos and it will display that image for all content in the folder. Handy for seasons of a TV show etc...

Hope that helps

That helped alot...

One strange thing did happen, I created a folder called "Test Folder" under my main "Video" Folder and then later on deleted it on my pc, however, it still shows up on my Ps3, I tried showing hidden files and folders option on my pc but it still does not show up. Any idea how I can delete this "Test Folder" from my Ps3?

That helped alot...

One strange thing did happen, I created a folder called "Test Folder" under my main "Video" Folder and then later on deleted it on my pc, however, it still shows up on my Ps3, I tried showing hidden files and folders option on my pc but it still does not show up. Any idea how I can delete this "Test Folder" from my Ps3?

Try Restarting the PS3 Media Server service.

If you have the 'media library' option enabled in PS3MS then the app creates a Cache DB on the PC and uses this Cache to help speed up PS3 XMB folder browse times. this does mean that sometimes the above happens though.

disabling the Media library will stop this problem but browsing on the PS3 will be slower....

Try Restarting the PS3 Media Server service.

If you have the 'media library' option enabled in PS3MS then the app creates a Cache DB on the PC and uses this Cache to help speed up PS3 XMB folder browse times. this does mean that sometimes the above happens though.

disabling the Media library will stop this problem but browsing on the PS3 will be slower....

Hey Uridium, this worked for that "test folder".

I have another situation, I just copied this AVI file to my server and then I tried to rename the file and it says "the file is being used by another person or program" so I quit my Ps3 server app and tried to rename but no luck. This happened to me last week with another avi file (before I was using Ps3 Media server) and the solution was to turn off the twonky sharing (my twonky sharing is disabled now though).

Any ideas?

Hey Uridium, this worked for that "test folder".

I have another situation, I just copied this AVI file to my server and then I tried to rename the file and it says "the file is being used by another person or program" so I quit my Ps3 server app and tried to rename but no luck. This happened to me last week with another avi file (before I was using Ps3 Media server) and the solution was to turn off the twonky sharing (my twonky sharing is disabled now though).

Any ideas?

Something WHS is doing maybe? Doesn't it balance data across disks automatically? It could be backing up the file while you are trying to rename it.

Something WHS is doing maybe? Doesn't it balance data across disks automatically? It could be backing up the file while you are trying to rename it.

yes, my WHS has auto backup but it not scheduled until late at night and I know when it is happening and in this case its not the problem.

I am unable to delete as well, like I said the exact same problem happen last week , unable to delete or rename until I turned off Twonky Sharing

I am using a 500Gb external HD for storing my converted DVD's to vob to play on my PS3.
Here is one for an example.

Notting Hill
Notting Hill.vob.cover.jpg

My PS3 is not seeing the Cover Art, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think you can display cover art if you are using an external hard drive, only if your streaming the media or it;s stored directly onto the PS3's HDD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom