Benq W1070 owners thread

Dan L

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be one of these already so thought I'd start one up - so people can post their set-ups and tips in one place :smashin:

Mine's almost complete (just waiting for the 3D glasses to arrive)...I'm using a Duronic 100" ceiling-mounted screen for mine.

I'm planning to use the cheap Sainsonic DLP-link 144hz glasses on the setup, they are cheap enough to be worth a punt anyway, and 3D will not be my primary use.

So, what are other people's combinations? I'd also like to hear about experimentation with settings, calibrations etc (haven't dabbled with the more advanced stuff just yet).

I'm on Ver 1.03. After 30 hours use and a lot of fiddling, I've gone back to the "STANDARD" setting again - however, I made the following changes:
- Lamp power from Normal to Smart Eco
- Gamma changed from 2.2 to 2.4
- BC Switched off

This seemed to give me the best compromise to view "Bladerunner" (to reveal the most shadow detail).

Also, because the picture is good, you can tell the difference between bluray players (!!!)
I found one test for me (for checking out how good a Bluray player is), is to look at a particular scene in the film "Dredd".
Near the beginning of the film, there's a slow motion bit with the female baddie in a bath. She raises her arm in slow motion and water drips like a sheet from her arm.
Now while that's going on, concentrate at the top line of her arm as it slowly rises, look for the special "shimmery" effect that's going on around it and consider how it looks to you.
I used this scene to determine which bluray playing device (and route) seemed to play the best.

I found that the PS3 was better than my old Panasonic BD35 (!).
It also seemed better when the signal went through my AVR receiver (Sony STR DA2400).
I have no idea why though

Last edited:
That's interesting, never really thought there would be much of a difference. I too use my PS3 for BD playback (never really saw a reason to buy a dedicated player). This runs through an HDMI matrix and then down 7.5m of cable to the the PJ.

One slight issue I have (and I'm not sure if this is the PJ or the screen, my guess is the latter) is that I can't scale the image to fit perfectly into the white space of the screen. If I get the vertical boundaries perfect, the sides spill onto the black borders approx. 1 inch each side. Wondering if anyone else has seen something similar, or if this is a common effect with projectors? There does not seem to be any fine adjustment of the image dimensions so it's impossible to correct.

That's interesting, never really thought there would be much of a difference. I too use my PS3 for BD playback (never really saw a reason to buy a dedicated player). This runs through an HDMI matrix and then down 7.5m of cable to the the PJ.
A bit off topic - but useful for anyone thinking of upgrading with a "non 3D" AVR.....
I've got a Sony STR DA2400 which can't passthru the recent HDMI stuff.

I've taken the decision NOT to upgrade this, and build around it accordingly.
The reason? The sound of the AVR is great, and because recent changes in HDMI are all about pictures (3D and 4K), I want to avoid the constant hassle of upgrading a perfectly great sounding amp all the time - just to passthru a different type of picture signal (first 3D and soon again for 4K).

So.... I use dual outputs for things. e.g. for the PS3, I use both an HDMI connection and an optical link to my "Non 3D" AVR.
TBH, I find the sound perfectly OK and tbh, I think I prefer the sound of optical. I read somewhere that optical can provide for a better sound anyway and to my ears, I think that's true.
Bizarre - going to sell the Panasonic BD35 now - its pointless keeping it.
Also, I'm thinking that unless I spend a lot, I doubt that another "3D" capable AVR would sound better to my ears!

Anyway, this AVR has 3 optical inputs which is more than enough for most 3D type situations.
So far, I've used the "TV" optical input on the AVR for the PS3 - and I'll probably use the "SAT" optical input on the AVR for the XBOX.
Now if I upgraded the blu-ray player, I'd get a Twin HDMI output bluray player (like the Sony BDPS790). If I did, it would be for things like Wi-fi etc - but the PS3 looks fine to me!

OK - this mean I could have 3 separate HDMI outputs to deal with and the original output from the AVR. To deal with this, I've bought a 4 port Auto HDMI switch for £39 (All works fine - up to 2.5 ghz)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-port-automatic-hdmi-switch-box-264788

I bought a 10 m HDMI cable (to the projector) and Toslink (Optical link) cables from Maplin.
I bought the Xbox Optical link adaptor from argos
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9052482.htm#pdpProductReviews
The other short hdmi cables from Tesco at £10 a pop - great!
I also bought a cheap flatpack shelf unit and cut out holes at the back for the leads!
It all looks fine from the front - with a load of wires behind :)

so..... the connections are as follows and all works fine!

Freeview receiver -> AVR HDMI input 1

PS3-optical out -> AVR optical input TV
PS3-HDMI out -> SWITCH input 1

XBOX-optical out -> AVR optical input SAT with this
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9052482.htm#pdpProductReviews
XBOX-HDMI out -> SWITCH input 2

Bluray player-HDMI out 1 (Picture) -> SWITCH 3
Bluray player-HDMI out 2 (audio) -> AVR HDMI 2

AVR output -> SWITCH 4

SWITCH output -> Projector
Using this approach, I'll only use one of the HDMI inputs on the projector, I'll have 4 devices connected to the projector and I still have 2 HDMI inputs spare - (maybe one for Sky if I get it?)

N.B. don't forget to switch Brilliant colour on the PS3 from Auto to off. This can cause handshaking issues if not done (I think) - you'll find it under Display Settings (near the bottom)

One slight issue I have (and I'm not sure if this is the PJ or the screen, my guess is the latter) is that I can't scale the image to fit perfectly into the white space of the screen. If I get the vertical boundaries perfect, the sides spill onto the black borders approx. 1 inch each side. Wondering if anyone else has seen something similar, or if this is a common effect with projectors? There does not seem to be any fine adjustment of the image dimensions so it's impossible to correct.
I've seen this with other projectors too, I think its just the way certain formats are.
I found that the best way to setup the projector alignment - is to use the "test pattern".
I think this flexible format thing goes with the territory of using projectors with multiple sources (unless someone else knows different?).
I know what you mean though - having to accept the black bars!

Last edited:
Some quick pics taken with a Panasonic DMCTZ8. Unfortunately, I can't good pics - so I'm doing the projector a diservice really.
I can't get it to focus properly, the colour balance appears wrong and a lot of shadow detail appears to be missed.
Best to think of them as being a minimum that can be achieved

Freeview HD TV
x3u9s8.jpg

Blade Runner 1
2s19kk1.jpg

Blade Runner 2
2j31xsy.jpg

Blade Runner 3
289wmfd.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good to me Pete!

Got my Sainsonic 3D glasses this morning also, had a quick try and all working great...only problem is it's impossible to darken my lounge enough to do it full justice in the day time, so something to look forward to later ;)

I have a Hoya lens on mine and its amazing!!! fits over the actual lens perfect so no light leakage! best of all its improved the blacks loads!!. This projector really needs a lens in a blackout room as its so bright!!

Am looking to buy the True Depth 3D glasses seem to be middle money and really good

I have a Hoya lens on mine and its amazing!!! fits over the actual lens perfect so no light leakage! best of all its improved the blacks loads!!. This projector really needs a lens in a blackout room as its so bright!!

Hi Lee, That sounds great!
I'd like to get one too - Could you answer a few qs for me please?

- Where did you get it?
- What size - should it have been larger/smaller etc
- How did you attach it?

cheers
Pete

Hi Lee, That sounds great!
I'd like to get one too - Could you answer a few qs for me please?

- Where did you get it?
- What size - should it have been larger/smaller etc
- How did you attach it?

cheers
Pete

I bought this lens and it fits perfect and I see no loss in sharpness
Hoya Filter 67 NDX2: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

All you do is put some bluetak on it and just press on :) put a tiny amount at 12 6 3 9 as if it was a clock

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Looks good to me Pete!

Got my Sainsonic 3D glasses this morning also, had a quick try and all working great...only problem is it's impossible to darken my lounge enough to do it full justice in the day time, so something to look forward to later ;)

Hi Dan where did you get them from and are they definately the 144 Hz version?

thanks
Croc

Hi Dan where did you get them from and are they definately the 144 Hz version?

thanks
Croc

Hi Croc,

I got them from eBay, seller name "nextbigthink" - £89 for 4 pairs. Like others, the outer box specs state they are 120hz but I've had no issues with 1080/24p 3D content as well as 720/60p 3D stuff (PS3/Xbox), so I can only assume they are working at 144hz for 3D blu-rays.

HTH,
Dan

Hmm, nice tip! Makes perfect sense of course - will have to try this out for myself :)

Does it dim the overall brightness/"punchiness" of the image much?

EDIT: Is this the same thing? : http://www.cameraking.co.uk/Hoya+67mm+HMC+NDx2+Filter.html

Last edited:
Yer thats the lens mate.... All buy it as it makes a huge difference and no loss in quality.

I would also advise you all buy a darbee as well which sharpens the image even more

Anyone any ideas how come I cant game 3D on my xbox 360? I have changed the resolution to 720p, the xbox seems to display 2 images side by side and the option in the projector menu is greyed out so cant select it.... Any ideas?

:)

Anyone any ideas how come I cant game 3D on my xbox 360? I have changed the resolution to 720p, the xbox seems to display 2 images side by side and the option in the projector menu is greyed out so cant select it.... Any ideas?

:)

Lee, for SBS format the game needs to be running in 1080/60i otherwise the option (as you've found) will be greyed out. Try changing on the Xbox to see if the res sticks in-game.

What game are you trying, the original CoD:Black Ops?

EDIT: 1080/50i also supports SBS 3D.

I just bought the truedepth 3D glasses from the USA and they are amazing!!!! much better than the sonic 1`s from ebay. Honestly if your looking for glasses buy them!!

Where did you order from? And in what way are they better than the Sainsonics?

Great thread idea.

I am just in the process of setting up my W1070, our first projector for some years after moving and getting rid of an LCD one.

I had the first test run yesterday after setting the position etc and was totally amazed at the picture quality, this was spiderman 3 which is 576p i think, so an HD image must be blinding quality:)

I have flicked it into Smart-Eco and Cinema mode for a start but am eagerly looking around for other settings that can enhance the already great picture. I have a custom room and a 2.1m wide 0.85 gain grey screen permanently fitted.

My library consists mainly of uncompressed MKV rips from DVD's, I have a couple of 1080p films to test as well, my media is all piped through Plex Media Centre on a Mac Mini, then into an Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR and then onto the projector.

I keep reading about Darbee boxes, are they worth getting?

Is there anything else in my setup anyone would suggest tweaking??

Great thread idea.
I keep reading about Darbee boxes, are they worth getting?

I'm curious too - but they are a lot of money for something you may not like. Having said that, they would be easy to shift 2nd hand for not much loss. They are supposed to greatly improve the depth and detail. Might wait a couple of months and try one out!

A filter is also worth considering - this thread also mentions the Hoya NDx2 filter which is also worth trying to reduce light leakage and improve the black level by reducing the light output slightly.

I find the black level very good but i have a light grey screen with 0.85 gain so maybe that's why?

Yes, i think i'll wait a while before trying a Darbee, got to settle the projector in first anyway.

Happy to report that my ND2 filter has made a marked improvement in black levels.

Tested it last night - comparing with and without the filter fitted.

It needs a dark environment (or as dark as possible) to see the best benefit - obviously too much light ambiance will raise the black level above the projectors "black level" and all you'll be doing is reducing the brightness of the image.

However, in a dark room with the PJ projecting a "black" image onto a white screen, there is a significant difference when comparing the base black level with and without the filter. It just takes the edge off of the lamp's black output to give a much deeper black.

I did not notice any artifacts/shadows cause by the filter or reflecting back into the lens. The filter is fitted straight onto the end of the lens recess, not angled.

Switching between Normal and Eco modes does not seem to raise the reference black level significantly, so that's always an option if you wanted to compensate for the slight loss of brightness.

I've yet to watch a move in full with it yet but I'm hoping for a good improvement, especially in generally dark films.

All in all £20 well spent.

Can you let us know if there is any improvement?

Where did you buy the filter from?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom