Epson TW3200/3600 owners thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new into projectors but I would like to buy my first one soon but I'm little worried about few things.

I can put my projector ~3meters away from screen. Projectorpoint (I think it was it...) says I can go for even 100" picture from this distance but I think I will go for 80".
Since my room is this small, is it stupid to go for TW3200 or LCD-projectors in general as I've read "pixels" can become really easily visible when watching this close... better to go for DLP in a room this small?

I'll let you know ;) very similar set up to mine I suspect, the projector is "just" over 3mtrs away and I'm looking at around 80-100" more likely be 80".

Just got the call to say the projectors arrived :clap: talk about fast delivery :eek: well done Projector Point :thumbsup:

Guess what I'm doing tonight :D

Furball

OMG :eek: its quiet big isnt it, no thats an understatement of the year, even seeing "Jmogs" un-packing photos, still doesnt do this beast justification size wise, its mahoosive.

Total re-design required on my mount (which is really only a shelf :blush:) cos it just aint big enough.

Sadly havent managed to do much more than a quick power up and check on zoom and focus on the menus just to make sure it works which is does.:smashin: Desperate too feed it some decent HD signal but that aint going to happen just yet as wifey wants some xmas stuff done first :rolleyes:

First impressions are good, although the lense shift wheels feel a bit iffy, as others have said I think, cooling is quiet, I was surprised to note that theres no extra cooling during shut down and the actual shut down fan cooling period was actually quite short ? personally would have liked to have seen it run on a little more longer but I can only presume that they have done all the figures on fan run time during shut down.

Right on with xmas ;)

Furball

PS Big thanks to ProjectorPoint from a first time user excellent service, ordered before 12pm on Tues delivered just after 2pm the following day, what more could you ask for :thumbsup:

The projector mount in the above post from CPC (Btech BT889) is the same as the one that Projectorpoint offers/offered as part of a bundle deal for the Epson 3200. It works well.

You will need a solid fixing (ie into Joists or better) to support the weight. Get advice from someone who knows what they are doing putting big things onto ceilings. I used different fixings from those supplied with the Btech mount, because I felt that there would be a risk of splitting the 8"x2" (200x50mm) joist I was going into.

This projector works well (@1080p) at the end of a 10m length of medium quality HDMI cable.

Peter

Thanks for that info.

As long as it's not going to move by itself, it looks like my best option.

Oh, and another question.

Has anyone discovered discrete power on and off codes for this PJ via a Pronto remote yet. Or indeed anyone know whether it even supports it?

I am going to order this projector shortly but want to order a screen and mount at the same time, do you think its worth paying extra money for the screens at projector Point....looking at the 87" which costs £221 - here or go for something like this manual 92" one from currys - here.

I am going to order this projector shortly but want to order a screen and mount at the same time, do you think its worth paying extra money for the screens at projector Point....looking at the 87" which costs £221 - here or go for something like this manual 92" one from currys - here.

I'd personally go for the electric, ours is even remote controlled as well, theres something about hitting the remote and the hum of the screen coming down while you wait for the PJ to warm up and you settle back knowing your in for a evenings entertainment :smashin:

Furball

Oh man, I just bought this PJ baby! The picture is out of this world! :smashin: I love it!
there's no going back to LCD's/Plasma's now...:thumbsup:

Oh, and another question.

Has anyone discovered discrete power on and off codes for this PJ via a Pronto remote yet. Or indeed anyone know whether it even supports it?

Try the codes for the Epson 2900/3100 projector - or any recent Epson projector. I had to do that with a Harmony remote and it worked for me.

Peter

Hello again:hiya:

I will most likely be ordering my first new projector on Monday sometime and at the moment i will be going for the Epson but there is another two i am considering......the Sanyo plv-z800 and the Panasonic PT-AE4000.

How does the Sanyo compare to the Epson?

And i know the Panasonic PT-AE4000 is a good bit more expensive than both these machines but would i notice a huge improvement in picture quality from sitting a maximum 10 1/2 feet away?

Thanks for any advice.

You will notice the extra performance of the AE4000 if your room is fully light controlled and has dark walls ceiling and carpets etc.

If your room has light coloured walls ceilings the difference will be marginal.

If you intend to spend £1700 or so on a AE4000 better to spend £2k on a JVCHD350 and really see a step up in performance(again if your room is good enough).

I always planned to get something like the Panasonic or the JVC but since i have been made redundant recently i need to think first.

I could get either of these higher end models but then i would need to spend a good bit of extra cash to get the correct room conditions and this would be eating up my redundancy money.

I plan to darken my 4 walls but not the ceiling at the moment and am mainly worried about black levels on the Epson although everyone on this thread seems to be over the moon with the picture.

Decisions decisions:rolleyes:

I know a projector can't compare with a good plasma for black levels.....

Anyone coming from a good quality plasma to this projector.....are you disappointed with blacks?

Thanks for the reply.

I have a fairly good Panasonic Plasma which I use for tv viewing. Black levels are clearly better than the Epson but once you watch a movie you forget about it completely. The size is a BIG compensating factor. Also due to the size you don't really compare it to the telly. You tend to compare it to what you see in movie theaters and here the Epson actually wins on black levels, brightness and colours.

Is there any lag when using the epson tw3200 with the xbox 360 or ps3?

I have a fairly good Panasonic Plasma which I use for tv viewing. Black levels are clearly better than the Epson but once you watch a movie you forget about it completely. The size is a BIG compensating factor. Also due to the size you don't really compare it to the telly. You tend to compare it to what you see in movie theaters and here the Epson actually wins on black levels, brightness and colours.

Cheers.....I think i have made up my mind.

can anyone comment on the upgrade i can expect from a Sanyo Z4

also can someone give me the mounting dimensions so i can see if by drilling extra holes i can still use my Z4 mounting plate

i was going to wait for 3D but with all these good comments and a new bulb looming for the Z4 i may give this a go

thanks

Is there any lag when using the epson tw3200 with the xbox 360 or ps3?

None. I use it with both consoles (and Wii) and it's as lag free as my telly. I Also use it with lag sensitive games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero. It's perfect.

can anyone comment on the upgrade i can expect from a Sanyo Z4

I upgraded from the Panasonic AE900 which is roughly similar to the Z4. I found it to be a massive upgrade. Better resolution, better colours, better brightness, shockingly less noisy. Everything is better :)

Cheers.....I think i have made up my mind.

I get mine TW3600 on Saturday ... I also have the Panasonic 50V20 :smashin:.

Unfortunately i don't agree with " Jmog ". The black levels and the detail in dark scenes are very pour .
I tried all the settings but i didn't manage to get anything more than average. I spend more than 3 hour trying to get the optimum results ... Nothing ....
Maybe its my fault ..... :lease: Any suggestion .

What colour mode are you using and what are you projecting onto?

And what room conditions do you have?

I get mine TW3600 on Saturday ... I also have the Panasonic 50V20 :smashin:.

Unfortunately i don't agree with " Jmog ". The black levels and the detail in dark scenes are very pour .
I tried all the settings but i didn't manage to get anything more than average. I spend more than 3 hour trying to get the optimum results ... Nothing ....
Maybe its my fault ..... :lease: Any suggestion .

I was just about to add this projector to my cart but think i will hold back to see if you can get a better picture with suggestions from the guys in this thread.

Can you take a picture of this projector running in your room conditions?

Last edited:
Distance 4 meters
Screen 120''

Mat paint walls with color like " PMS 468 " from this pic.... http://brandguide.tamu.edu/images/print/colorsPrint.jpg

You could do worse for wall colour. Mine resembles PMS7402 which is brighter than yours.

What about:
-Is the room completely dark - no other light sources than the pj?
-Which colour mode are you using? Living room and Dynamic both kill the black level in dark scenes.
-What source(s) are you using? If the source is outputting RGB over HDMI then you need to set the pj's HDMI input to Extended or you will loose a lot a dynamic range in the black/white spectrum. Optimally for movies on DVD and BD you should set the source to output YpbPr over HDMI and the pj to Normal (=non-RGB) on HDMI since that's the way they are encoded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom