Ambient light screens - DNP Supernova, Black Diamond, etc

HD-350 15ft throw high lamp iris opened showing the light scatter properties of an angular reflective screen. Black Diamond 2 1.4 110" had to overexpose to show room lightspill.

My matt white screen looks exactly the same as this when it's surrounded by black (my 'bat tent' :) ), I've got a picture somewhere on my build thread showing this: Some objects nearer the screen slightly lighting up as per your picture and the ceiling and immediate surrounding walls and ceiling black.

Now if this was the result in a room with walls and ceiling as light as mine I'd be really impressed. It seems you've gone for an ambient light screen, but then done the room as a bat cave anyway (I've seen other pictures you've posted of your room with dark grey/black walls?). :confused: If I made my room permanently as dark walled as that I wouldn't need a special screen, but I don't want to live in a black living room hence my interest in BD and similar options. I'm not interested in watching with any lighting on or during daylight, just not having the room decorated a dark colour.

Last edited:
When should I consider one of these babies over decent 1.0 gain screen?

I have no cave, and will be unable to build a tent. Just a big screen on one of the living room walls. Don't expect anything special with anything more than subdued/no lighting, as viewing will be mostly night time. Any tips?

When should I consider one of these babies over decent 1.0 gain screen?

I have no cave, and will be unable to build a tent. Just a big screen on one of the living room walls. Don't expect anything special with anything more than subdued/no lighting, as viewing will be mostly night time. Any tips?

They are reported to reflect much less light out to the sides and ceiling which then gets reflected back to the screen. Therefore in a light walled room these special screens will give a better contrast to the picture due to the reduced room reflections. They also tend to give better results than a 1.0 gain white screen if there are lights on or ambient light from windows (though not if the light is directly behind the viewer). I'm not interested in having lights on, but if these screens give a better picture in a light walled room then that's what makes them worth demoing.

Ideal AV said:
Whats a life mean? :eek: :rotfl:

actually mate they do a 114" 2.35:1 (and smaller) in the Linea Tab tensioned ones, lovely screen if i`m honest , and it has a black bottom bar as standard. thats viewing width btw screen width is + 100mm

Now isn`t that handy :D

Hello Mr Briscoe,

Good to see things going well, Ok i'll bite on this, how much for a 96" wide one or thereabouts?

Cheers Carl

Allan

Is the ReACT II available as a perforated screen?

Hello Mr Briscoe,

Good to see things going well, Ok i'll bite on this, how much for a 96" wide one or thereabouts?

Cheers Carl

no need to bite Carl :D

righto then, I need a bit more info, is it ceiling/wall mounted or inceiling,

tab tensioned or not.

let me know and i`l come back to you

cheers Allan

Ceiling and tab tensioned

righto

i`ll assume thats a ceiling mounted 16.9:1 ReActII tab tensioned with the quiet motor option and remote control.

screen area 240cm x 165cm, viewing 230cm x 129.5cm @ £1585 inc vat & delivery.

cheers Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Allan

Is the ReACT II available as a perforated screen?

I wish

unfortunatley not :(

infact if anyone out their knows of an acoustically transparent material which is as good as the ReActII please let us know :smashin:

righto

i`ll assume thats a ceiling mounted 16.9:1 ReActII tab tensioned with the quiet motor option and remote control.

just on a side note, a certain massive in the UK projector manufacturers representative saw it yesterday for the first time and said it was the best screen he`d ever seen for use in an ambient lit enviroment.

His comments and not mine I might add and he wants 2 for himself :)

trust me, he`s had them all and on demonstration at trade and public venues

cheers Al

Err 2:35 please, what's the next width up? and what is the drop?
Cheers

Err 2:35 please, what's the next width up? and what is the drop?
Cheers

the 2.35 screens are the Linea model

270cm x 145cm @ £2025

300cm x 160cm @ £2290

all prices inc control, vat delivery

Al,

are these guys planning on a dual 16/9 & 2.35 screen anytime soon? And the heights you mentioned, they include the drop? 15cm case height, then approx 30 cm drop then 115 viewable height? (270 x 145)

Confused.

Hi Carl

those sizes are the screen fabric, the viewing area is

260 x 110 & 290 x 123.5 respectively

top border 30cm as standard

case dimensions are W121 x H153mm and case length is screen width + 370mm.

I`ve asked a question today regards the dual screens, nothing planned as yet but if asked for, everytning is do-able apparently.

The ReActII material, as it has built in elasticious properties is always tab tensioned, so not available without tensioning.

cheers Allan

righto

Do you sell one about 1.8 m wide with the same options? If so can you give a price? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - very helpful.

Hi

Probably a stupid question but is the ReAct II available in a manual version? Just not too keen on a plaster job for the mains lead etc.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Graham said:
Hi

Probably a stupid question but is the ReAct II available in a manual version? Just not to keen on a plaster job for the mains lead etc.

Cheers!

No. As the screen has elastic properties it has to be tentioned to keep it flat, and thus is only available in a fixed frame or tab tensioned electric style.

Hope that helps

Thanks. So I guess there's no way to get a grey screen with a higher gain than 0.8 unless it's electric? Manual / pulldown wise only the Draper Luma seems available but that is 0.8 and would probably be too dim for whites etc

Cheers

Hi Graham

Draper also do a "Greylight" material which is a sturdy material with glass fibre support, black backed and a very light grey colour.

it has a gain of 0.93, Draper say that the surface provides more contrast, better colours even in ambient lit conditions and the viewing cone is 180dgs

Allan

Last edited:
Thanks Allan.

Maybe I could just about manage an electric screen...the price you quoted above, 1465 for the 1.8m wide screen, is that an 84" diagonal ReAct II ceiling mount? I take it it's easy to install on the ceiling?

PS apologies for so many questions!

Last edited:
Hi Graham

thats actually for a 86" diag viewing screen

these are really very easy to install as well so you shouldn`t have a problem

cheers Allan :smashin:

Hawkeye

i`m not sure i`m getting this one at all

so you have a black diamond screen in a batcave room, is that right?

if so why :confused:. Do you prefer the image the BD screen produces in your room to a matt white one ?

Hawkeye

i`m not sure i`m getting this one at all

so you have a black diamond screen in a batcave room, is that right?

if so why :confused:. Do you prefer the image the BD screen produces in your room to a matt white one ?

Hi Allan
Have you compared a batcave`s room reflectance of different screen materials ? Is a matt white just as good as an angular reflective BD/DNP in a batcave?

I found a matt white to have less perceived contrast compared to a greywolf retro reflective compared to an angular reflective Black Diamond, in a batcave, with patio doors drapes opened the Black Diamond was the only 1 capable of showing a worthwhile image.

My setup allows me to watch anytime of year drapes opened/closed with the best contrast image with minimal washout/reflectance.

Happy Xmas
Kevin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom