Panoview Gray Wolf II Screen Shots

Does the grain issue is on the white matte or grey model? Does the problem has to due with the viewing distance? for example if you´re watching a 4-4.5m will you still watch the grain?

I´m asking because i´m thinking in buying this screen, the grain issue is a concern and during daylight i´ve read that´s "fine" for games and movies but at night that 1.8 gain will suffer the image for a projector with 1000 Ansi Lumens?

Thanks for all the help.

Best Regards,
Paul

Just got one of these and think they are great. But only when set up right.

It's great at rejecting ambient light, improves blacks and gives a bright picture:clap: Perfect for my set up as I have cream walls which wash out the picture on a normal white screen, a grey screen was also too dull for my P.J.

However I sit just at the point the brightness drops of noticeable (heightwise).

The sparkles are really bad in this position but become acceptable if I move up a few inches as the image brightens and the bright sparkles fade. My wife sits way off centre and prefers the duller image with no sparkles.

I need to raise my sofa about 4 inches:rolleyes: I can't lower the projector as no lens shift and the bottom of the projected image is already as low as it can go for my circumstances.

It's brand new, so should I try and brush the sparkles off? Some of them really catch the light and the screen seems like it could do with being brushed clean (they is a fine glass dust)

It's brand new, so should I try and brush the sparkles off? Some of them really catch the light and the screen seems like it could do with being brushed clean (they is a fine glass dust)

Nooooooooo!!!!!!:eek: If you 'brush them off' then your surface is gone and you'll get visible marks on the screen.

Thanks,

So not a great screen for two toddlers with mucky hands that like to point at the screen then!!

Anyway to clean them without brushing off the glass beading? (just checking for future, it's clean at the moment)

Thanks,

So not a great screen for two toddlers with mucky hands that like to point at the screen then!!

Anyway to clean them without brushing off the glass beading? (just checking for future, it's clean at the moment)

Errmm, not sure. I've read about someone's wife who tried to clean a Greywolf and took the surface off. Bottom line is try to keep their hands off, but I remember what my son was like when he was younger, so you have my sympathy.

I found that my eye line was precisely at the point where the gain drops off dramatically.

At this position the sparkles dominate the picture, yet move slightly into or out of the viewing cone and they are less distracting.

I would say the best picture is within a 20 deg cone - so only 10 deg either side of the centre of the lens and 10 deg above or below the centre of the lens.

Easier to achieve in a longer room than mine, unfortunately I can only project across the width of the room and the screen sits in front of a chimney breast in front of a plasma.

I have raised the sofa 2 inches which has helped the problem a little.

I am going to find a way of lowering my projector a little further.

When I view the adjacent wall to the screen, I can clearly see a bright halo of light on the wall, which demonstrates the viewing cone. It is fairly small, but then the wall is only 3m away from the screen.

My advice if buying this screen is to do some basic trigonometry to see if your head ends up within a 20 deg cone. You only need to know the position of the lens (light source) and the distance between the lens and the screen. (I very much doubt the lens shift can have any significant bearing on a retro reflective screen - can anyone confirm that?)

For someone in a dark room but with reflected light washing out your picture (anyone who has not painted their room and ceiling black or grey or used roller blinds around the room) and if your head would fit into the cone then it is a very good solution to a punchier picture, better blacks AND brighter images (=more contrast :clap:) - although you may find the texture a little distracting but I think most people would accept this trade off..

Update 12/11/09: Actually the texture is more than distracting it seems to effect resolution (or perceived resolution), the texture interferes with the pixel pattern on the screen. Mine is the pull up version, I assume the material must be identical to the fixed and pull down versions.

MY PJ is only a 720p projector, I imagine a 1080p would be even more affected. My white DIY white screen & UK black widow screen look better with a creamy smooth, in comparison, image. However the ambient light rejection and increase in contrast of the graywolf counterbalances the loss of detail, for me, at the moment. It's a real dilemma . The only screen I know that does what the graywold can do but has a fine enough coating not to interfer with resolution is the stewart grayhawk G3, which costs:eek:, so I can't complain for £120.

As has been said before room redecoration and a white screen is the best but I cannot paint the living room grey/black

Last edited:
Errmm, not sure. I've read about someone's wife who tried to clean a Greywolf and took the surface off. Bottom line is try to keep their hands off, but I remember what my son was like when he was younger, so you have my sympathy.

Anyone know if there is a way of cleaning without scrubbing? I have had a leak from the room above and it ran down the screen making a lovely stain.

Hope someone can advise. Thanks

Fulltopuk:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom