iPod Nano 4G versus Sansa Clip impressions

Steven

Senior Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score

Clickable thumbnail. A note on the colours. I adjusted the sliders in LightRoom to try and get the reds as close to real-life as possible. Unfortunately the blue is slightly too dark, and the lip is not as torquios-sey as in real life but I could not fix it without messing up the red

In the comparison:
Audio-Technica ESW9 headphone
iPod Nano 4G 16GB Product Red
SanDisk Sansa Clip 2GB Red
RSA Tomahawk portable headphone amplifier
Quables silvercab LOD cable

As background infromation, the reason for this test was that I was dissatisfied with the SQ of the Nano and wondered if there was more. I never take the Tomahawk out so that's that. So reading around, the Clip was widely praised and so I saw it as minimal risk to pay the £22.97 Amazon was asking (prices seem to fluctuate weekly, and between colours)

If there is demand I will also conduct a comparison with the Sennheiser PX100, Sennheiser HD600(!) and my Westone UM2 IEM

.............................................​

I have always said in the past ad naseum the ESW9 places vocals slightly forward - I wish to amend that belief now

Test - 4G Nano -> ESW9 v Clip -> ESW9. Nothing else

The 4G Nano places vocals slightly forward. Back and forth. The clip positions vocals next to your ear. Not behind, not forward. It was the Nano all along. And on that note the Nano places vocals closer to the ear, whereas the Clip places vocals further away. Difference between someone leaning their head on your shoulder speaking to you, and someone sitting two seats along away from you
And the latter is preferred...

As that way the Clip allows the vocals room to breathe and 'fill-out'. Nano seems to stunt the vocals. Slightly "electronic" and boxy.

Detail and separation wise they seem to be on par at this time but I will load more tracks and listen properly

Bass - Clip noticeably a fuller response. You know when you get that tightness in your chest from the bass[line]? You do not get that on the Nano

I feel the Clip is very neutral. Does not add anything that should not be there. Nice balanced sound. To aid with the comment about the bass, I am not suggesting the Clip adds bass that isn't there. The bass does not overpower or detract at all. The Clip does have a balanced sound. Guess that means the Nano is a mish-mash. Nano seems to sound touch harsher in comparison as well

4G Nano -> Quables LOD -> Tomahawk -> ESW9
vs
Sansa Clip -> ESW9

I do not think there is that much between them. Vocals have a minor lift and sparkle a little more, but details, separation and sound stage are about the same. Bass a slither better through the T115. But you would have to pay attention. Not a noticeable difference at all

I now firmly believe the Clip is an excellent DAP on sound quality alone. The 4G Nano is very lacking. Apple need to step their game up

On a non-SQ basis the Nano wins, but we all knew that anyway and the test was never about that. And for extra information is is believed that the bigger brothers of the Clip, the Sansa Fuze and View contain the same DAC and sound quality but they incorporate video playback and larger colour screen

As a follow-up, the View utilises a different DAC and supposedly inferior at that so stick with the Clip and Fuze

I think the Clip is great as a backup or gym DAP

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Clip does not do gapless playback. A huge let-down. Maybe even a deal-breaker for some. So SanDisk need to marry the SQ with a nicer housing and gapless

Of course Rockbox is in development for the Clip and Fuze (N.B. it is not working and still in development, so don't install if you come across it). Hopefully they get it worked out. Gapless, last.fm scrobbling and eeking more out of the SQ is all I want, though of course Rockbox offers so much more

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom