Eye strain with 42' plasma??

maxipax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Have just got a Panasonic TH42PX60, first evening with it and the wife and kids are saying there eyes hurt after watching it. Our last tv was a 30' crt one. They are sitting about 10ft away.
Have other people found this and if so does it pass...

Regards

Maxipax, have you tried turning down the brightness etc? We have a 66cm LCD
in the bedroom and my wife insists on watching it in 4:3 mode as the picture is "too large and gives her sore eyes/headaches", It has been there for 11 months now............my point is that maybe they won't get used to it............sorry.
PS, she won't even go into my room where I have my Pioneer 507 plasma:(

When I first got a PJ I had a similar experience, I found that apart from having it on for too long I wasn't really watching the television/DVD I was concentrating on something I hadn't really seen before and consequently was not blinking enough which strained my eyes. May sound daft but a week later I was fine.
Do make sure there are no bad reflections on the screen.

Hi
Have just got a Panasonic TH42PX60, first evening with it and the wife and kids are saying there eyes hurt after watching it.

Sounds to me as though you need to go into the picture menu and reduce the brightness and perhaps contrast. You might also wish to adjust the colour.

I found the default settings on my Panasonic were terrible!

David

I was the same for the first few days..I kept changing the aspect to 14:9 which gave me a picture the same size as a 37" WS...
I too went from a WS 32" crt to a 43" plasma with a 10ft viewing distance..

But now i got used to it..Am finding it to small and wish i brought a 50" :(

Like others has said..Turn the contrast/brightness down..

It will soon pass, when I first had my 42" I kept turning my head to watch what was going on .... you will soon be thinking that you should have got a 50" one (as chaparral says) mine seems so small now...had it about 2 years.. the viewing distance seems about right for the size screen...just give it time

I got mine last week and me was straining abit but this week I think me eyes adjusted to it really want a 50" now aswell lol.

To reiterate all Panasonics I have known come out the box with 'dynamic mode' on by default. This may be great for the dealers show room, but not for your living room. Turn this off as amongst anything else it can increase the likelyhood of image retention in the first few hundred hours of use.

Also I find that plasmas take a few days to a week to 'run in' and start looking really natural and fluid.

Thanks for all the advice..
Have turned to "cinema" and turned things down abit, so will see what it is like tonight.
Does the picture get better with time then??
Regards
Max

The mind receives messages from sensory cells. The mind can focus on sensory signals from the eye. Eyes that have become strained do not always deliver a clear signal. Inattention to eyestrain symptoms deprives the brain of meaningful signals.

We panicked when we first moved from 32" CRT to 50" plasma as we both got headaches and sore eyes (even remember discussing whether we should send it back to get a 42" or smaller!:suicide:). Didn't last more than a couple of weeks at most. Maybe it's something to do with moving your eyes more to take in the whole screen, which you gradually get used to? :confused:

Have turned to "cinema" and turned things down abit, so will see what it is like tonight.
Regards
Max

For some normal mode looks good again adjust the brightness and contrast. Use a Disney DVD you will likely have lying around that has THX setup in the extras for this otherwise you could buy Digital Video essentials set up disc.

I found the opposite as i was prone to the 50hz flicker from my CRT whereas the Plasma 42" I got afterwards (check sig :D) did not suffer this issue.

This is a three year old thread that has been resurrected for some reason...

Regards
Max

:D Ill bet the picture looks better by now - if it doesnt, theres no hope! (nearly 3 years later)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom