TPS 2013 meeting TV preference poll

I attended the TPS meeting and preferred the...

• Panasonic 65VT65

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Panasonic 60ZT65

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Samsung 64F8500

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Pioneer KRP-600

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

toodeep

Prominent Member
Reaction score
'Another big thank you to TPS and to Steve for this weekend's event. I'm confident that the meeting thread will be busy but I thought that a poll would be interesting too. More TVs were on display but of the principle four which would attendees prefer to have taken home with them, and why?

I may be in a minority but I want the Samsung 64F8500 because Panasonic are yet to tame the 50 Hz motion bug to my eyes. The 60ZT65, 65VT60 and Kuro clearly went darker in tests to demonstrate this but all sets went plenty black when showing actual content.

If I didn't have a screen already then I'd be going for the Panasonic 65VT65. While the ZT may have some advantages there was nothing i could see that would make up for it being 5" smaller (a 65" ZT would probably change my mind though).

I've currently got both a Pioneer LX5090 (Living Room) and a Panasonic 65VT50 (Cinema Room). Until yesterday I'd always thought of the Pioneer as the better screen. However being able to look at the Pioneer and the Panasonics side by side completely showed up the Pioneers poor CMS controls. Close ups of faces / skin tones in particular looked quite frankly poor on the Pioneer and that's not to mention the pink tint over the entire image.

As it is, I think my next purchase will be a Lumagen Processor (and obviously another calibration) in an attempt to alleviate the DFC that I can see, contrary to the discussion yesterday, on 24fps Blu-ray content when watching on the Panasonic.

65" VT for me, stunning and a bargain compared to the ZT (in my opinion ok)

65" VT for me, stunning and a bargain compared to the ZT (in my opinion ok)

Yeah we all know your opinion, you never stopped going on about it yesterday lol

Most definitely the 65VT65, 99.9% of the ZT performance for 85% of the price plus an extra 5" of size, it's no brainer for me unless you're a money no object person & must simply have the best at any price.

Would happily retire the KRP now if I had funds available.

The VT is the clear winner for me. The performance difference between the VT and ZT is not significant enough for me to justify the extra cash jump for the ZT. Yep, it's a VT for me later in the year hopefully and I'll be buying from the good guys at TPS regardless wether it might be a bit cheaper somewhere else. Customer service comes first with me.

Yeah we all know your opinion, you never stopped going on about it yesterday lol

Phil's feeling wounded:)

Already got a 65VT65 from TPS and I have no regrets, best on display for me.

Far from wounded, for me the ZT was the best way overall...:thumbup:

I agree with Andy.

Other than the torch test, I couldn't discern any difference between the ZT and VT so being 6" bigger and an not inconsiderable amount cheaper, the 65VT appears excellent value for money (and makes the ZT look overpriced to me).

However, I appreciate others may see things differently of course and have different lighting conditions. As I watch in low light conditions usually I don't really see the need for the ZT's extra light absorption capabilities. The 65VT will suit me fine but just got to sell the KRP 500a now!

Sorry Phil I know I went on a bit but I honestly cannot get my head round why anyone would rather buy the ZT65 than the 65" VT65, fair enough if you haven't got room for the 65" but the 55" VT didn't look much smaller than the ZT and the picture was pretty much identical and as you yourself said you could almost have 2 55" VTs for the same price as the ZT :rolleyes: If I won the lottery tomorrow and had the choice between the ZT and 65" VT I would 100% buy the 65" VT, it's far better value for money, more immersive and there's sod all difference in PQ between the ZT and VT unless you scrutinize the picture under very specific conditions. I wasn't the only one by a long shot that couldn't see the difference between the VT and ZT , seems to me that Panasonic have done a cracking job marketing the ZT but I'm sorry it ain't worth nearly £4000, not in my book. For the same price you could get the 55" VT, a 3D 1080p projector and an Oppo 103 and I know what I'd rather have ;)
Anyway it's up to you what you spend your hard earned on and I'm sure you'll be very happy with the ZT, just doesn't impress me for the money I'm afraid but that's just me

Cheers
Andy

ZT just wins it on PQ simple as that, also the right size for me.
Sadly the ZT is too much for me so will get the 55"VT65, when I get a job that is.:(

I can see what Steve was saying about the Samsung, great set with fantastic dynamic range, sadly it lacked some punch in the middle, also didn't like the case, also too big for me.

Sorry Phil I know I went on a bit but I honestly cannot get my head round why anyone would rather buy the ZT65 than the 65" VT65, fair enough if you haven't got room for the 65" but the 55" VT didn't look much smaller than the ZT and the picture was pretty much identical and as you yourself said you could almost have 2 55" VTs for the same price as the ZT :rolleyes: If I won the lottery tomorrow and had the choice between the ZT and 65" VT I would 100% buy the 65" VT, it's far better value for money, more immersive and there's sod all difference in PQ between the ZT and VT unless you scrutinize the picture under very specific conditions. I wasn't the only one by a long shot that couldn't see the difference between the VT and ZT , seems to me that Panasonic have done a cracking job marketing the ZT but I'm sorry it ain't worth nearly £4000, not in my book. For the same price you could get the 55" VT, a 3D 1080p projector and an Oppo 103 and I know what I'd rather have ;)
Anyway it's up to you what you spend your hard earned on and I'm sure you'll be very happy with the ZT, just doesn't impress me for the money I'm afraid but that's just me

Cheers
Andy

Heh Andy

Its OK mate I was getting it from various people... just becomes the tedious after awhile lol

I agree I could get 2VT's 55" for the price of the ZT.
But after my experiences with the VT last year I got my fingers burnt, so hence I rather spend my money on a ZT or even the F8500.

In my living room it can get very bright sometimes, also very dark at night so the ZT would be perfect, and I could clearly see the difference between the VT and ZT
Also I cant really accommodate a 65" would be over kill.

As you said each to there own.
:)

Sorry Phil I know I went on a bit but I honestly cannot get my head round why anyone would rather buy the ZT65 than the 65" VT65[...]

Better filter, build quality, components and out-of-box accuracy?

That's a genuine question, by the way, not an answer.

Better filter, build quality, components and out-of-box accuracy?

That's a genuine question, by the way, not an answer.

Didn't see much evidence of the difference the filter makes in day to day use really apart from under as Steve put it 'extreme lighting conditions'. No proof the ZT has better build quality than the VT (the VT is very solidly built anyway), out of the box accuracy will vary from one set to another and I've no doubt some VTs will be more accurate out of the box than certain ZTs and anyway who isn't going to get these sorts of screens calibrated to reference standards so that's a moot point anyway. Anyway there's no point going on about it and I'm bored of doing so myself now so that's my last word on the subject, I'll concede the ZT might be 1% better in some circumstances but the price of that superiority is too much IMO, that's all. Oh and I'm watching the football on my VT right now with a big window right next to it and the sun coming in through that window (its facing west) and I can't see any reflections on the screen and its plenty bright enough so the VT is no slouch in a bright room anyway :)

Didn't see much evidence of the difference the filter makes in day to day use really apart from under as Steve put it 'extreme lighting conditions'. No proof the ZT has better build quality than the VT (the VT is very solidly built anyway) [...]

That's good to hear. I suppose I mentioned build quality because I read this on AVS:

"The gapless glass is pretty cool -- knock on the VT, and then try knocking on the ZT. Solid as a rock!"

There's was also some discussion about the transparent chin on the VT that is apparently not on the ZT.

[...] out of the box accuracy will vary from one set to another and I've no doubt some VTs will be more accurate out of the box than certain ZTs and anyway who isn't going to get these sorts of screens calibrated to reference standards so that's a moot point anyway.
I was thinking that perhaps the ZTs were more carefully set up and inspected before being sent out.

But I'm sure they're both fantastic TVs and I will defer to your greater knowledge as you have seen both and I have only seen the VT.

Thanks.

ZT for me is just a £500 lump of marketing.

Yes it's fractionally better with the lights on but that's it (IMO).

Not doing it in 65Inch was a bad error, if it was a 65 and £500 more expensive then maybe some more people would go for it (not me) but as it stands, I'll have the extra real estate of the VT every time.

ZT for me is just a £500 lump of marketing.

Yes it's fractionally better with the lights on but that's it (IMO).

Not doing it in 65Inch was a bad error, if it was a 65 and £500 more expensive then maybe some more people would go for it (not me) but as it stands, I'll have the extra real estate of the VT every time.

The ZT looks a lot darker in this video:

2013 HDTV Shootout - Panasonic VT60 vs. ZT60 Recap - YouTube

ZT left and VT right.

Believe me Fluxo, it wasn't

They actually say the same as me in your vid. Bit better in a light room but no difference in the dark.

Last edited:
Believe me Fluxo, it wasn't

They actually say the same as me in your vid.

Not quite sure why you're telling me that. I did watch the video.

Bit better in a light room but no difference in the dark.
Looks more than a bit better to me in that video.

out and out picture quality and the deepest blacks the ZT wins it hands down...however for overall value and bang for buck the VT wins it. plus its mighty close to the ZT

Sorry GP, don't agree.

ZT was better with the lights on but there no difference in the dark. Maybe in pitch dark with a totally black screen you might just about tell the difference but in any other circumstance they were identical.

Good to meet you BTW (however briefly)

Sorry GP, don't agree.

ZT was better with the lights on but there no difference in the dark. Maybe in pitch dark with a totally black screen you might just about tell the difference but in any other circumstance they were identical.

Good to meet you BTW (however briefly)

yeah good to put a face with the name...i think i have made this point on the tps meet thread. the zt is deffo blacker to my eyes on black images to me its deffo deeper...but in actual motion on a movie say kill bill we were watching, i could see no difference. so we actually agree on that element.. i also pick the VT over the ZT for extra size, and extra savings.

but i cant lie..when we watched just the demo with the flowers and stuff. i did see a difference with that. on the black framing on the slides

Fair enough. As Steve was saying, we all have different perception of things.

Fair enough. As Steve was saying, we all have different perception of things.

the only thing i couldn't test was the noise of the fans , as it was impossible in that environment to get any type of idea whether they would sound loud or not at home. i guess this is something you can only actually do when your set arrives, so theres no way of knowing whether it will bother me or not and how loud they are beforehand. they did say the air con was on, was just wondering if it was set to heat, as i started to melt by the afternoon!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom