Samsung PS59D6900 owners thread Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've still got your TV by Xmas I'll eat Santa's hat. I can see your talking yourself into returning it :D

Best get munching then mate ;), my days of returning TV's are over, I'm bloody sick of it myself to be honest and the wife boot me out if i swap again.
Just going to have to enjoy the stunning bits and 3D and put up with the turds.

blows my set out the water for outright punch and Clarity even with both overhead lights on.

So thats me confused.

It's one occasion where smaller is better mate ;) The 51" has the same amount of pixels in a much smaller space so it will always look that bit sharper. I bet if you put your dad's 51" next to a 40" it would have a similar effect. An good example (albeit a bit more extreme) is if you watch a youtube video in it's window it looks nice and sharp, but if you fullscreen it it looks soft and indistinct. The source has the same detail, it's just each pixel is now larger.

I thought this going from a 50C7000 to the 59er. I've combated this by upping the sharpness to around 25 and when watching footy I whack edge enhancement on too which seems to separate the players from the pitch on long shots quite nicely.

Best get munching then mate ;), my days of returning TV's are over, I'm bloody sick of it myself to be honest and the wife boot me out if i swap again.
Just going to have to enjoy the stunning bits and 3D and put up with the turds.
Hat here ready and waiting to eat :smashin:

It's one occasion where smaller is better mate ;) The 51" has the same amount of pixels in a much smaller space so it will always look that bit sharper. I bet if you put your dad's 51" next to a 40" it would have a similar effect. An good example (albeit a bit more extreme) is if you watch a youtube video in it's window it looks nice and sharp, but if you fullscreen it it looks soft and indistinct. The source has the same detail, it's just each pixel is now larger.

I thought this going from a 50C7000 to the 59er. I've combated this by upping the sharpness to around 25 and when watching footy I whack edge enhancement on too which seems to separate the players from the pitch on long shots quite nicely.

No mate i'm not talking about Sharpness :), they are both fine on that front, Its the outright Punch / peak whites and clarity of the panel that i notice to be way ahead of mine, Enen sat at 1.5-2mtrs away.

This new F/W has throttled my set and its very noticable now, I have F/W 1019 on usb but i won't be going anywhere near the 51" with it ;)

Well, I gave GT5 a whirl, but the novelty lasted a few hours, am not a big racing game fan. Superb graphics though.

Killzone 3 is a good crack, but I've had immense fun with Crysys 2, the whole game and 3d experience is superb. Also been loving Wipout HD, but am not sure if that is PS3 exlusive or not, but its great in 3D.

I've got the latest Batman here, but not fired that up yet. Am soooo looking forward to MWF3 and Uncharted 3, but will have to wait until Christmas Eve for those.

The 3D on GT5 can be setup to get amazing results, best 3D pop out Ive seen on a game, incar views are amazing if watching your driver and the small Italian town track works very well. Crysis2 was just awful on my GT30 really hard to see the enemy outside naf game too IMO. Super stardust is good for a blast. Ill give Wipout another go, wasnt impressed first time I played it. Now deciding what to get betwean Batman and Uncharted, cant get both as moneys a bit tight.

Mose said:
Really?? Everything I'm watching in 3D is set to 10 as default, not bothered me until I got into playing some games in 3D. Must be a way of changing that surely.

Normally in the game menu

Right, since my 59er is going back tomorrow I thought I'd run a little A/B test with firmwares 1016 and 1019. Watching a lot of black bars and dark scenes over the weekend I've come to this conclusion as far as my set goes (and this is only by eye since I don't have a light meter). Black levels at 24Hz and 50Hz have definitely raised slightly but my 60Hz levels seem largely the same. Also the brightness on 24Hz and 50Hz has definitely dropped a notch but I haven't seen much of a difference with 60Hz TBH. With my HTPC I can select my output refresh whilst viewing a film so it's easy to compare. I didn't witness any real fluctuations in the black levels on black bars other than the perceived one: i.e. if you have a bright scene the black bars look very black, but on dark scenes they appear to get lighter - they don't really it's just your senses being fooled! There's some good youtube videos kicking about demonstrating this. A guy has a piece of grey card and when he puts it on a white sheet of paper it looks jet black, but when he puts it on a black piece of paper it looks mid grey. Something like that anyway. For whatever reason though 60Hz doesn't seem to have dimmed as much as 50Hz. The splash screen as my 360 boots up is the same as it was and one of my front ends for XBMC is still white enough to sear my eyeballs when set a 60Hz. Maybe it's all us UK owners complaining about brightness pops whilst watching broadcast TV @ 50Hz has prompted Samsung to stiff us whilst leaving the 60Hz NTSC crowd alone :mad:

I haven't noticed that LCDesque bluish casts to my blacks at all though. They're still greyish :p

I tried NewPlasma's settings for 1019 as well. Tried them at first during the day and thought it made everyone look like they'd been living underground for too long!!! Night time viewing was a different matter altogether. Watched a couple of episodes of Breaking Bad and Toy Story 3 and have to admit to being pretty darn impressed. Toy Story in particular was sublime. Even though it was the 2D version some scenes had such great depth of detail they "felt" almost 3D. Well done that man.

As for the haziness it must be source related. Like I said Breaking Bad and Toy story were jaw dropping but The Walking Dead was awful. The whole episode was like someone had put a sheet of tracing paper over the telly. I "acquired" a rip of the American showing and watched it back on my HTPC and it was exactly the same. Pretty shoddy.

Upshot is though, regardless of how impressed I am with NewPlasma's settings, I'll leave the firmware on the new TV arriving Wednesday as is.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Your not the only one but as far as i am aware it is filmed like that with filters so to recreate the look of George Romero's 1978 classic Zombie film Dawn of the Dead.

Hope that helps in an explanation and not the picture quality of course:smashin:

Been sleeping on my options, Decided to accept the 51" version has more punch on less settings than the 59" and just crank up cell and contrast to whatever it needs to be to look the same even if its maxed out. I didn't want to to have to do that but as the drive has been throttled in the last F/W i guess it won't harm the set anyway.:)

Hi Simon,

Your not the only one but as far as i am aware it is filmed like that with filters so to recreate the look of George Romero's 1978 classic Zombie film Dawn of the Dead.

Hope that helps in an explanation and not the picture quality of course:smashin:

That makes sense. It does have that washed out colour palette and slight softness you get with 70s films.

Well, that's the "bleeding" faulty 59er away this morning. Just have to see what tomorrow brings with the new one. Like I've said before, I'll put up with a buzzer as long as it doesn't have terrible line bleed. My first ever experience with Comet so if it is a turkey then we'll see how good their customer service is since I've heard some horror stories :rolleyes:

Having said that I'll know within a few minutes of switching on if there's any line bleed or DSE as I've got plenty on my Sky box cued up and ready to go. In fact to be on the safe side I'll probably just unclip the box so I can leave the tape sealed and test the tv for faults before I even put the stand on. That way if it's not right I can simply slide the box back on and reject the TV under the distance selling regs. The only downside being I'll feel somewhat guilty knowing some other poor mug will end up with it!

I'm sure buying houses and having kids is less stressful than buying new tellys :eek:

Normally in the game menu

Matt, I've toyed with some of the in game 3D settings and they don't really make a great deal of difference. Its the set's 3D depth that I need to change.

Mose said:
Well, I gave GT5 a whirl, but the novelty lasted a few hours, am not a big racing game fan. Superb graphics though.

Killzone 3 is a good crack, but I've had immense fun with Crysys 2, the whole game and 3d experience is superb. Also been loving Wipout HD, but am not sure if that is PS3 exlusive or not, but its great in 3D.

I've got the latest Batman here, but not fired that up yet. Am soooo looking forward to MWF3 and Uncharted 3, but will have to wait until Christmas Eve for those.

Cheers mate, will add those to my Christmas list lol

panman40 said:
I haven't been to my parents place for a couple weeks now, 'to see any TV anyway. Was up there tonight and i'm now confused as to what to do with my 59":rolleyes:.
I said from the start the 51" has more Pop than mine and after this latest F/W its even more apparent. I did see several brightness pops tho but obviously still on 1016.

Movie mode on his with

Cell 15
Contrast 85
Default WB.

blows my set out the water for outright punch and Clarity even with both overhead lights on.

So thats me confused.

That's odd mate, my 59" has plenty of pop.. Adjusted all my settings last night and the PQ is fantastic :confused:

I'm not getting any of the fluctuations with the new 1019 f/w, noticed the letterbox borders pop a few times but not the actual picture its self.

panman40 said:
Been sleeping on my options, Decided to accept the 51" version has more punch on less settings than the 59" and just crank up cell and contrast to whatever it needs to be to look the same even if its maxed out. I didn't want to to have to do that but as the drive has been throttled in the last F/W i guess it won't harm the set anyway.:)

Have my cell 20, contrast 88, brightness 48, sharp 25, colour 44, gamma 0, standard mode.. Do find I have to adjust gamma depending on what I'm watching tho

I'm still working on the alternative software option being greyed out. I've always upgraded using the USB download from the Samsung support site. Could anyone who has uprgraded using the TV's online upgrade option check to see if they have the alternative software option ungreyed and selectable?
Cheers

That's odd mate, my 59" has plenty of pop.. Adjusted all my settings last night and the PQ is fantastic :confused:

I'm not getting any of the fluctuations with the new 1019 f/w, noticed the letterbox borders pop a few times but not the actual picture its self.

Have my cell 20, contrast 88, brightness 48, sharp 25, colour 44, gamma 0, standard mode.. Do find I have to adjust gamma depending on what I'm watching tho

Martin says I should pop round yours and have a look at your 59" before I commit to swapping my 51" for it so when's a good time mate if you don't mind me popping round to have a look?

Cheers

zAndy1 said:
Martin says I should pop round yours and have a look at your 59" before I commit to swapping my 51" for it so when's a good time mate if you don't mind me popping round to have a look?

Cheers

Sure Andy, I'm home Tomorrow afternoon or Thursday. I'll pm you my number just giz a text and let me know when's best for you.

Could do with some help. I've never really noticed motion blur until the last LG 550t that I had. I noticed it a lot and it really annoyed me. Since getting one of these I've been noticing blur a lot on it too, even though plasma shouldn't have it. Now am I just noticing natural panning blur from the camera or is it faulty? It's really starting to do my head in now. Everything that moves seems to blur. Is everyone elses nice and sharp and blur free on pans or am I just picking up on something that is on all tvs?
I've also noticed that on a lot of fast moving credits that they have a double image as they scroll up or across the screen, again, is this something you lot get or is it just mine. Alan Carr the other night was terrible when the credits rolled across the screen at the end, you could hardly read them they were so blurred by a clear double image.
I've got a feeling I'm going to have to call someone out as it can't be right.

Could do with some help. I've never really noticed motion blur until the last LG 550t that I had. I noticed it a lot and it really annoyed me. Since getting one of these I've been noticing blur a lot on it too, even though plasma shouldn't have it. Now am I just noticing natural panning blur from the camera or is it faulty? It's really starting to do my head in now. Everything that moves seems to blur. Is everyone elses nice and sharp and blur free on pans or am I just picking up on something that is on all tvs?
I've also noticed that on a lot of fast moving credits that they have a double image as they scroll up or across the screen, again, is this something you lot get or is it just mine. Alan Carr the other night was terrible when the credits rolled across the screen at the end, you could hardly read them they were so blurred by a clear double image.

That sounds normal to me. The BBC tend to scroll their credits very fast, which will give a double image on Plasma.

The easiest way to spot if it is source related is to pause your source.

Nibbo68 said:

I have had the same issue. I never noticed motion blur on any of my previous plasmas. I then brought a UE55D8000 and it suffered bad. Exchanged for a 55VT30 and again I could see it, which added to the 50hz bug made the set unwatchable for me. I actually thought the blurring was the 50hz issue at first. Then i exchanged it for the PS64D8000 and I could still see the blur but not the 50hz bug. I can now see it at the Cinema where I never noticed it before.

I get the feeling it's something that is more noticeable on bigger screens and once you see it you continue to see it :( Having said that though my latest of 3 PS64 D8000 is far better at motion blur than the rest :) so maybe, how bad it is, is dependant on the specific panel.

gaz2810i said:
I have had the same issue. I never noticed motion blur on any of my previous plasmas. I then brought a UE55D8000 and it suffered bad. Exchanged for a 55VT30 and again I could see it, which added to the 50hz bug made the set unwatchable for me. I actually thought the blurring was the 50hz issue at first. Then i exchanged it for the PS64D8000 and I could still see the blur but not the 50hz bug. I can now see it at the Cinema where I never noticed it before.

I get the feeling it's something that is more noticeable on bigger screens and once you see it you continue to see it :( Having said that though my latest of 3 PS64 D8000 is far better at motion blur than the rest :) so maybe, how bad it is, is dependant on the specific panel.

I was afraid of that although I'm not really sure what mines like compared to others. I might pop into Currys tomorrow and see if I notice it on all of their different sets. It might just be me being a fussy git and noticing it now.

I was afraid of that although I'm not really sure what mines like compared to others. I might pop into Currys tomorrow and see if I notice it on all of their different sets. It might just be me being a fussy git and noticing it now.

He fella, I have been a bit negative about my '51 V 59 issue lately :rolleyes:, I can hand on heart say the only TV i have had that does not suffer any sort of 'Noticable' Motion issues is my 2008 LZD 80 Panny. Even then if i go right up close and study hard there is a little Judder.
All other sets including the VT20's had either judder / Blur or worse Both :thumbsdow.

I see the 'Fine Blur' you talking about on both the 59 and 51 but i have been able to accept it and now because i don't look out constantly for it its a Non issue thank God !.

I know excatly what you mean tho Nick and to be honest i have always been Puzzled at this '1080P Motion Resoloution' test :confused:, No TV i have seen looks 1080P with motion :confused:.

Hi Mate :), Cheers for those settings, Looks like me running Cell at 16/17 and contrast 85 could be the issue, Its just the 51" is on Movie mode (less Pop than Standard anyhow) with cell 15 and contrast 85. I guess this could just be a standard difference then between the 2 sizes ?
Martin.

panman40 said:
Hi Mate :), Cheers for those settings, Looks like me running Cell at 16/17 and contrast 85 could be the issue, Its just the 51" is on Movie mode (less Pop than Standard anyhow) with cell 15 and contrast 85. I guess this could just be a standard difference then between the 2 sizes ?
Martin.

I couldn't have cell full on like that before the f/w update.. Was using your settings previously and all was looking spot on.

He fella, I have been a bit negative about my '51 V 59 issue lately :rolleyes:, I can hand on heart say the only TV i have had that does not suffer any sort of 'Noticable' Motion issues is my 2008 LZD 80 Panny. Even then if i go right up close and study hard there is a little Judder.
All other sets including the VT20's had either judder / Blur or worse Both :thumbsdow.

I see the 'Fine Blur' you talking about on both the 59 and 51 but i have been able to accept it and now because i don't look out constantly for it its a Non issue thank God !.

I know excatly what you mean tho Nick and to be honest i have always been Puzzled at this '1080P Motion Resoloution' test :confused:, No TV i have seen looks 1080P with motion :confused:.

They can display at that resolution with some motion but it drops off significantly with panning speed. Panasonic used to show off a graph that had lines of resolution on the y axis, with panning speed on the x.

This is the best I could find with a quick search:facepalm:.

neo-motion.jpg

I couldn't have cell full on like that before the f/w update.. Was using your settings previously and all was looking spot on.

Cheers, I hope it was ok that i reccommended Andy to have a squizz at your 59 incher mate :blush::laugh:,

Now wheres my remote :suicide::rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom