Samsung D8000 owners thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linky to part 2 of the D8000 owners thread can be found here
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1462637-samsung-d8000-plasma-part-2-a.html

Last post from part 2
Contradicting my second to last post on here saying my mind was made up
about not getting one I caved in and took delivery of the 64d8000 on Monday and thought id write my findings with this TV so far.

bought from richer sounds for £2500 TV, LG 660 bluray player, 2 glasses,galaxy WiFi 5 year warranty originally tried to price match with robert whyte but they had no stock so done me there own package deal
Build date June
Screen peel none so far

All my previous TVs have been Panasonic,apart from a pioneer LX608D and
my last TV being a TH50PZ800 a nice TV apart from the black level rise and purples and greens on peoples faces on some material.
anyway back to the review the first thing I checked was posterisation and general colours that shouldn't be there and could not fault it.

Standard definition through the on board free sat tuner again excellent nice and smooth, the real black filter does a good job dulling out reflections and keeping good black levels in the day time.

Next up motion and these are totally different beasts to the Panasonic's, for instance there's no false contouring on peoples faces when they move.
Black levels are excellent with plenty of shadow detail even in day time viewing.

negatives I've noticed so far are slight line bleed and one or two brightness fluctuations and very quiet buzzing that can only be heard at night in total silence but you have to listen out for it and does not bother me and in no way intrusive.
nothing in life is perfect.

All in all I'm stunned by the quality of the image this TV produces and blows all the other TVs I have owned away. and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to a friend.

cheers longy :thumbsup:

Enjoy Part 3 gang ;)

Last edited:
Decision day tomorrow, had friends round today and all agreed that the buzzing was bad so I think I will ask for a replacement. From responses on here I guess it's a lottery as to whether or not the next one will buzz :( I will most likely ask for a Sept build as those cone with the better remote and glasses.

I think I've decided to go for the 59D6900, no issues with fast moving stuff I believe as seen when flicking through the xbox dashboard blades at speed, and low input lag, plus a low price tag!!

Unless anyone can tell me a reason I shouldn't go for this tv?

The money I save will go on a much better sound system :)

Just received a replacement TV, not turned it on yet so i can't report on any buzzing but it's a June Build. I really hope that isn't a problem seeing as I had a August build before :rolleyes:

I also have the 4 pairs of glasses that I had initially promised, still didn't come in the box though.

Last edited:
The 2nd one buzzes just as much as the first if more, it's no less directional and loud all around :(

The 2nd one buzzes just as much as the first if more, it's no less directional and loud all around :(

I feel your :( Gaz, This looks like typical BIG sammy plasma trait, The 51" D6900 i have access to is damn near silent mate. Looks like live with it or exchange for something different. I'm determind to live with my D6900 59" Buzz as 13 TV's in 18 months is just more than me or the wife can stomach.
Good luck with whatever you decide mate :)

I feel your :( Gaz, This looks like typical BIG sammy plasma trait, The 51" D6900 i have access to is damn near silent mate. Looks like live with it or exchange for something different. I'm determind to live with my D6900 59" Buzz as 13 TV's in 18 months is just more than me or the wife can stomach.
Good luck with whatever you decide mate :)

I know mate, This is the 6th in 6 months and I honestly believe this is the best of the 3 sets I have tried. I love everything about it except the damn buzz. I may just try my best to ignore and live it :(

I know mate, This is the 6th in 6 months and I honestly believe this is the best of the 3 sets I have tried. I love everything about it except the damn buzz. I may just try my best to ignore and live it :(
I would give it a 5days. If it doesnt settle OR its too dam annoying then maybe a different set?
The D6900 seems to a big hit with even the most picky (Martian :D;)).

Hi gaz,thats a real pi**er mate,as others have said i feel your pain...i would definatley reject again..and tell your retailer if they they still want your hard earned money,then get you at least a sept build(if not newer,these sets will have a p/s hum/buzz BUT it should not be intrusive,
again as others have posted,the buzz should be very slight and only noticeable late night with the volume on "0"(kids in bed,boiler not on ect!).
very suprised its a june build(wouldnt suprise me if it was a cusomer return!)...we ordered ours end of aug...and retailer had to wait 4 weeks for fresh batch from samsung uk.ours buzzed for about 2 weeks(during 150hrs running in)but now(and iv just checked)settled down to almost inaudible.....
feel your pain mate...when this has happened to me with stuff in the past iv just wanted to put the bloody thing through the window!!
good luck with getting it sorted,give your retailer some serious stick,maybee full refund and source from elsewhere?
cheers gaz

Re: Inbuilt freesat - the question is whether to use this with an HDD ( USB3) or say a Humax PVR. Yes, the Tv can only record on once source at a time, but my question is whether the unbuilt scheduler is easy yo use or too basic and stripped down? Feed back appreciated

Hi gaz,thats a real pi**er mate,as others have said i feel your pain...i would definatley reject again..and tell your retailer if they they still want your hard earned money,then get you at least a sept build(if not newer,these sets will have a p/s hum/buzz BUT it should not be intrusive,
again as others have posted,the buzz should be very slight and only noticeable late night with the volume on "0"(kids in bed,boiler not on ect!).
very suprised its a june build(wouldnt suprise me if it was a cusomer return!)...we ordered ours end of aug...and retailer had to wait 4 weeks for fresh batch from samsung uk.ours buzzed for about 2 weeks(during 150hrs running in)but now(and iv just checked)settled down to almost inaudible.....
feel your pain mate...when this has happened to me with stuff in the past iv just wanted to put the bloody thing through the window!!
good luck with getting it sorted,give your retailer some serious stick,maybee full refund and source from elsewhere?
cheers gaz

Well, I'm 2 days into running my D8000 and its still buzzing, so let's hope what you experienced also occurs with mine. I'm certainly loathe to have to return it as it seems either this is just how it is, or its a lottery. And I don't want to go to a smaller set.

With a 50hz input the buzzing is noticeably louder than with a 60hz input. (the 50hz input doubles up to 100hz. The 60hz input remains as is) Tested this by changing the output frequency from my PC's graphics card.

Mine is a Sept build by the way.

Everything else though is vastly improved over the C7000. Yes, there is still some line bleed but its far less obvious than on last years model. It's now 'subtle' rather than 'painfully obvious' it was on my prior C7000 (and I'm web browsing and typing this in using the D8000 as my monitor, and web browsing is one good way to see line bleed)

Whites are cleaner. Out of the box my C7000 already had pretty obvious horizontal pink banding in large areas of white. No real sign of this on the D8000 yet.

Image retention seems to be less of a problem too. I have already used it for gaming via my PC, and since when using the screen fit picture option there is no pixel shift option, then static menu bars/status and equipment bars in games are usually the problem area. But no visible real problem with that

Hi,

I saw a demo of the D8000 yesterday. I was totally amazed by the quality of the picture. Super sharp, great colors...etc. The big issue I saw was judder. I didn't have the occasion to verify that the source was giving a 24p signal. Do you confirm that the image is super fluid on the D8000 with the 24p coming from Blurays players like PS3?

From a general perspective, is it a judder free plasma when watching tv program, BR, and when playing video games?

Thanks!

Hi,

I saw a demo of the D8000 yesterday. I was totally amazed by the quality of the picture. Super sharp, great colors...etc. The big issue I saw was judder. I didn't have the occasion to verify that the source was giving a 24p signal. Do you confirm that the image is super fluid on the D8000 with the 24p coming from Blurays players like PS3?

From a general perspective, is it a judder free plasma when watching tv program, BR, and when playing video games?

Thanks!

Well it is, IMO, one of the smoothest TV's I have seen. Don't forget all 24p material will naturally judder and it is how it was shot. :)

Last edited:
Well it is IMO opinion one of the smoothest TV's I have seen. Don't forget all 24p material will naturally judder and is how it was shot. :)
Humm, good to hear :)

Some additional questions:
- What about image retention? Did you see it? It was a real issue in the past on Sammy plasma tvs.

- I currently own a LCD (Sharp LE830) that has clouding. I can't stand it anymore. That's why I'm considering the plasma as an alternative. As you know black levels are bad on LCD. But the D8000 doesn't seem to be the king in this area compared to the VT30. When you come from the LCD world you expect to have super black levels on a plasma. Would you say that despite the fact the D8000 doesn't have the best blacks it's definitely better than a LCD?

Humm, good to hear :)

Some additional questions:
- What about image retention? Did you see it? It was a real issue in the past on Sammy plasma tvs.

- I currently own a LCD (Sharp LE830) that has clouding. I can't stand it anymore. That's why I'm considering the plasma as an alternative. As you know black levels are bad on LCD. But the D8000 doesn't seem to be the king in this area compared to the VT30. When you come from the LCD world you expect to have super black levels on a plasma. Would you say that despite the fact the D8000 doesn't have the best blacks it's definitely better than a LCD?

IMO with a bit sensible use for a few weeks, IR is no longer an issue. I would also say that IR, in general, is a non issue as it's screen burn that you should worry about and only some serious mis-use can cause this.

Don't forget that you are comparing the black levels, on the sammy, with the TV with the best black levels currently available on the market. The Sammy has great black levels and excellent shadow and contrast detail. I would actually say that it's the later that makes biggest difference between LCD and Plasma.

Did some testing tonight and I have come to the conclusion that the TV buzzes, really badly, when outputting 50hz material but not 24hz or 60hz. I put a 3D Blu-ray (Saw 3d) into my player and as soon as the TV stated 60hz it stopped, and when it changed to 24hz it stayed quiet. I then put in Avatar (non 3D) and I just couldn't hear it (same seating position). I then thought, could it be the Hdmi connection? Anway I did some switching around but it made no difference. Also when the screen had no input (no input moving banner on screen) it still buzzed but at a lower level than when the 50hz material was on screen (HD or SD). I then went back to my TiVo and again it buzzed :( Going back to the BD player I played Avatar again and the buzzing stopped as before, I then ejected it and put in a SD DVD (American Pie) and as soon as the info banner read 50hz it started buzzing again :confused:

I have also checked the US forums and no mention of any buzzing occurred, which again highlights the above :facepalm: I just don't know what to do now as I get the feeling all these sets are the same. :suicide:

I still can only hear the tattoo like buzzing from dead centre (up to 5m away - seated 3m away) and too the right of the screen as I look at it. I can't hear it too the left. How strange? I can even simply move my head round and it disapears or put a barrior like a laptop screen in between my head and the screen and it disappears. I've watched the TV all night from, a seat of to the left and I didn't notice it once but as soon as I moved to the centre of the Sofa it was there and bad. :(

Last edited:
Did some testing tonight and I have come to the conclusion that the TV buzzes, really badly, when outputting 50hz material but not 24hz or 60hz. I put a 3D Blu-ray (Saw 3d) into my player and as soon as the TV stated 60hz it stopped, and when it changed to 24hz it stayed quiet. I then put in Avatar (non 3D) and I just couldn't hear it (same seating position). I then thought, could it be the Hdmi connection? Anway I did some switching around but it made no difference. Also when the screen had no input (no input moving banner on screen) it still buzzed but at a lower level than when the 50hz material was on screen (HD or SD). I then went back to my TiVo and again it buzzed :( Going back to the BD player I played Avatar again and the buzzing stopped as before, I then ejected it and put in a SD DVD (American Pie) and as soon as the info banner read 50hz it started buzzing again :confused:

I have also checked the US forums and no mention of any buzzing occurred, which again highlights the above :facepalm: I just don't know what to do now as I get the feeling all these sets are the same. :suicide:

I still can only hear the tattoo like buzzing from dead centre (up to 5m away - seated 3m away) and too the right of the screen as I look at it. I can't hear it too the left. How strange? I can even simply move my head round and it disapears or put a barrior like a laptop screen in between my head and the screen and it disappears. I've watched the TV all night from, a seat of to the left and I didn't notice it once but as soon as I moved to the centre of the Sofa it was there and bad. :(

Hi Gaz,
I am going to try out your theorys as i'm sure my Buzz is louder with Sky input.(D6900 that is).

Its a strange one indeed, I guess its the only 'Fly in ointment for you then ?

I'm now wondering if it's an issue with the TV running at around 100hz. I just checked another blu-ray (the Goonies) and again it stops the Tatto gun like buzzing. However, I thought I would try out the Cinema Smooth option and sure enough, there is the buzz :( Seeing as Cinema smooth converts 24hz into 96hz and I assume 50hz is mostly converted into 100hz (or am I wrong here) then could the TV, when running at this level be the cause. I have also tried the Playstation 3 and and when the XMB is on the screen and the input signal is 60hz there is no buzzing. :confused: I am really confused.

Hi Gaz,
I am going to try out your theorys as i'm sure my Buzz is louder with Sky input.(D6900 that is).

Its a strange one indeed, I guess its the only 'Fly in ointment for you then ?

I actually prefer this set a lot more than either of my previous two Samsung UE55D8000 and Panasonic PS55D8000 There are things I wish were better or as good as etc but nothing that seriously bothers me and isn't outweighed by the positives. It's just this bloody buzz and because it is only heard in certain areas of the room, and now only with certain inputs it is just annoying me.

Hi guys, I am trying to decide on a 50" set and quite attracted by the good reviews of both the Samsung plasmas, D6900 and D8000.

What is the difference between these two models and is the D8000 worth the additional £300 over the D6900.

If it is, the D800 is then in the Panasonic GT30 price range so how would it compare to that TV ?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice

Hi guys, I am trying to decide on a 50" set and quite attracted by the good reviews of both the Samsung plasmas, D6900 and D8000.

What is the difference between these two models and is the D8000 worth the additional £300 over the D6900.

If it is, the D800 is then in the Panasonic GT30 price range so how would it compare to that TV ?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice

The D8000 is much more expensive than the GT30, it's something silly like £1,400 - £1,600 compared to £1,000 - £1,300.

Comparison.
Televisions | 3DTV, LED TV, LCD TV, Plasma TV & Accessories - Samsung UK

The D8000 is much more expensive than the GT30, it's something silly like £1,400 - £1,600 compared to £1,000 - £1,300.

Comparison.
Televisions | 3DTV, LED TV, LCD TV, Plasma TV & Accessories - Samsung UK

Thanks for the comparison link on D6900 and D8000.

Looking at it though, it doesn't tell me much other than they come with different remotes and have different ECO Marks and frame finish !

The only difference I can see that might be material is the different black filter - how much difference does it make though ?

As regards the D8000 and GT30, I have seen them both for £1,300 hence my questions, what is the difference and which is better given the same price ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison link on D6900 and D8000.

Looking at it though, it doesn't tell me much other than they come with different remotes and have different ECO Marks and frame finish !

The only difference I can see that might be material is the different black filter - how much difference does it make though ?

As regards the D8000 and GT30, I have seen them both for £1,300 hence my questions, what is the difference and which is better given the same price ?

Black filter is better for daytime viewing/ambient light, though the panel on the D6900 is by no means awful in daytime, certainly not like the budget Samsung/LG's.

GT30's in this size have an issue with green patches, be aware if this if you are going to get one of these, it bothered me and a few other people. Some are not bothered by it, it's worth looking at one in a store.

I think the D8000 has a Sat tuner and the D6900 doesn't, the site info is wrong unless someone else can correct me?.

Bezel is obviously different, not sure whether the D8000 has more calibration controls and better Smart TV stuff?, that's something I have heard but may be wrong. I personally don't think it's worth the extra over the D6900 that can be had around £1000 with glasses + blu-ray player.

Black filter is better for daytime viewing/ambient light, though the panel on the D6900 is by no means awful in daytime, certainly not like the budget Samsung/LG's.

GT30's in this size have an issue with green patches, be aware if this if you are going to get one of these, it bothered me and a few other people. Some are not bothered by it, it's worth looking at one in a store.

I think the D8000 has a Sat tuner and the D6900 doesn't, the site info is wrong unless someone else can correct me?.

Bezel is obviously different, not sure whether the D8000 has more calibration controls and better Smart TV stuff?, that's something I have heard but may be wrong. I personally don't think it's worth the extra over the D6900 that can be had around £1000 with glasses + blu-ray player.

From what I can see, The D8000 has a web browser, real black Filter and Freesat Tuner. PQ wise they are very similar. You may find that with ambient light the D8000 has better black and contrast levels but in the dark this may not make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom