Help! I admit it I bricked my G10 now what?

leeboy2k3

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi as the title says yes I bricked my g10, I was trying to roll back the gamma hack to default.
I stupidly changed the last hex value to 20 which is for the 50" model and mine is the 46".
The reason is I rushed rereading the guide and missed the part about the last value differing due to screen size Doh! Doh!

I was only rolling back to the default as I had the xbox360 hdmi flash fault and the tv wouldnt recognize the 1612 firmware whilst it was in european mode.
The tv turns on to a green light but doesnt respond to the remote also it doesnt respond to the software remote/side panel reset as instructed by panasonic so the tv is definately bricked till the software is replaced.

Anyway the situation is this..panasonic wont uphold the warranty with my local service engineer as it was an ex display tv.
They've told him to order a main board off them and he said it'll cost £430 minus labour, and that's trade price!

Now as this is obviously a software problem I need to know where to go from here? do I look for a faulty 46" g10 to replace the main board? or does anyone know an alternative such as replacing the eeprom does anyone offer this service?

Lastly Im presuming Im at a loss sourcing a faulty g10 of a different size, as Im presuming that the software values will be wrong putting me in the same predicament?

Any help greatly appreciated.:lease:

BTW Im aware that discussing the hack is prohibited on here, Im only looking to resolve the repair.

Thanks.

Hi as the title says yes I bricked my g10, I was trying to roll back the gamma hack to default.
I stupidly changed the last hex value to 20 which is for the 50" model and mine is the 46".
The reason is I rushed rereading the guide and missed the part about the last value differing due to screen size Doh! Doh!

I was only rolling back to the default as I had the xbox360 hdmi flash fault and the tv wouldnt recognize the 1612 firmware whilst it was in european mode.
The tv turns on to a green light but doesnt respond to the remote also it doesnt respond to the software remote/side panel reset as instructed by panasonic so the tv is definately bricked till the software is replaced.

Anyway the situation is this..panasonic wont uphold the warranty with my local service engineer as it was an ex display tv.
They've told him to order a main board off them and he said it'll cost £430 minus labour, and that's trade price!

Now as this is obviously a software problem I need to know where to go from here? do I look for a faulty 46" g10 to replace the main board? or does anyone know an alternative such as replacing the eeprom does anyone offer this service?

Lastly Im presuming Im at a loss sourcing a faulty g10 of a different size, as Im presuming that the software values will be wrong putting me in the same predicament?

Any help greatly appreciated.:lease:

BTW Im aware that discussing the hack is prohibited on here, Im only looking to resolve the repair.

Thanks.

Have you told the retailer what you have done in the system menu if not i would maybe plead ignorance and just say the tv has developed a fault.

Last edited:
Have you told the retailer what you have done in the system menu if not i would maybe plead ignorence and just say the tv has developed a fault.
Yes its just panasonic they wont uphold the warranty on it due to it being ex-display.

So you havn't spoken to the retailer who sold it to you?
Yes he runs a business that trades on ebay where I bought it from him, but they offered 30 day returns and that has now expired.

This is just a stab in the dark and hopefully someone with a brain will be along shortly to confirm or dismiss if it'll work but could you get the latest firmware onto an sd card and overwrite it that way?

Don't think so.

I believe the firmware data is different to the EEPROM data, which is what the OP has altered with the hack.

This is just a stab in the dark and hopefully someone with a brain will be along shortly to confirm or dismiss if it'll work but could you get the latest firmware onto an sd card and overwrite it that way?
Im pretty sure this is a no go as the tv is unresponsive to any remote/button reset hack.
I guess if it was that easy the panasonic engineer would have told my local service centre engineer to do so.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
aargh ****, sorry then mate i have no clue.
Best of luck sorting it!

Ive found this service from comet http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/advice/914/panasonic-tv-repairs?cm_mmc=Google-_-SF||Comet%20Services%20TV%20Repair-_-TV%20Repair%20Panasonic-_-panasonic%20tv%20repair&_$ja=kw:panasonic+tv+repair|cgn:TV+Repair+Panasonic|cgid:1499997710|tsid:12086|cn:SF||Comet+Services+TV+Repair|cid:42854240|lid:134616380|mt:Broad|nw:search|crid:4214931410

It is slightly discounted, Im presuming they order the parts from panasonic? the same as my local authorized engineer, but could it be significantly cheaper?

Don't think so.

I believe the firmware data is different to the EEPROM data, which is what the OP has altered with the hack.

It is the only way the eeprom data can be restored is by having the eeprom software and relevant hardware to reprogram the board.

A local service engineer will have neither the software or the hardware available to them.

It is the only way the eeprom data can be restored is by having the eeprom software and relevant hardware to reprogram the board.

A local service engineer will have neither the software or the hardware available to them.
I was wondering why the panasonic engineer told my local to order a new main board when he could reflash mine.. profit?

Sorry Lee, looks like finding the cheapest repair possible is your only alternative:thumbsdow

A cautionary tale for all:(

Because someone from Panasonic would have to come out and flash it.

As daft as it sounds, Panasonic UK might not even have the hardware to reprogram the board. I suspect it is something that is only done at factory.

I was wondering why the panasonic engineer told my local to order a new main board when he could reflash mine.. profit?

Was it a Panasonic cs or an actual service centre engineer your local engineer spoke to?

It might be your normal service centre can only swap the board out and it needs to be sent back to a 2nd/3rd line repair centre to perform the epprom reprogramming etc (most probably in Europe)

Also when you changed the last value can you remember if the original value was 30?

The comet link could work out cheaper good luck which ever way you go

Chris

Last edited:
Was it a Panasonic cs or an actual service centre engineer your local engineer spoke to?

It might be your normal service centre can only swap the board out and it needs to be sent back to a 2nd/3rd line repair centre to perform the epprom reprogramming etc (most probably in Europe)

Also when you changed the last value can you remember if the original value was 30?

The 20 value is actually for a 42" the 50" has 40 as the last value. If it is 30 it would confirm something I'd been discussing with other posters.

thanks

Chris
Im pretty sure he spoke to the panasonic engineer and he told him to order a main board pcb.
should I phone panasonic back come clean with them as to what I did and ask them if they'll reflash the main board? at cost obviously.

Oh Im pretty sure the last value was 00 which I stupidly changed to 20 copying from the hack guide forgetting that it would differ due to screen size.

Last edited:
You have nothing to lose, mate.
Yes I'll phone my local engineer first and come clean with him see if he can persuade panasonic to take it in to be reflashed, if not i'll try comet hopefully it'll not cost any more than Ive already been quoted.

You have nothing to lose, mate.

its even possible that you could have damaged the hardware by changing the value to an extreme setting :(

its even possible that you could have damaged the hardware by changing the value to an extreme setting :(
I hope not.
Well I guess I'll know more tomorrow, unless someone knows where I could aquire a replacement main board or broken g10 other than ebay?

Oh btw does anyone know the part/serial no. of the pcb I need?
Thanks.

I hope not.
Well I guess I'll know more tomorrow, unless someone knows where I could aquire a replacement main board or broken g10 other than ebay?

I'd say its unlikely - but not impossible

if the part itself is really 400+ and Panasonic can't reflash your current one - then I would say its not economical to repair, but thats just my opinion

if you find a broken G10 presumably it has to be exact same size ?

also what happens if you spend 400 odd on a new part plus fitting and it still doesn't work ?

I'd say its unlikely - but not impossible

if the part itself is really 400+ and Panasonic can't reflash your current one - then I would say its not economical to repair, but thats just my opinion

if you find a broken G10 presumably it has to be exact same size ?

also what happens if you spend 400 odd on a new part plus fitting and it still doesn't work ?
Your a ray of sunshine! talk about kicking a man when he's down lol.
I have to be positive its depressing enough knowing I made a simple mistake.

Your a ray of sunshine! talk about kicking a man when he's down lol.
I have to be positive its depressing enough knowing I made a simple mistake.

no no - you're taking what I've said a bit too negatively

just want to make sure you don't go down a route that costs you a lot of money and you still end up with a non-working TV.

I guess a replacement board should fix it though :) :thumbsup: (theres a positive)

as another positive - there may be a way that panasonic can reset to defaults perhaps - or factory settings, without having to reblow that EEPROM ? my old Panny CRT could have its memory re-flashed via the Scart (!!!) - surprised me it did !

I don't understand why panasonic uk is not willing to give you the 1 year warranty.
Did you buy the tv second hand and not from a panasonic dealer?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom