T4

P1000582-resized.jpg

S4

SAM_4878-resized.jpg

T5

P1000591-resized.jpg

S5

SAM_4886-resized.jpg

For completeness I've included the Paisley Abbey shots posted elsewhere :)

JIm

Jim... thanks very much for that! :thumbsup: ... There doesn't seem to be too much between them (at least to my untrained eye) :rolleyes:. I prefer a couple of Panny ones, then I prefer a couple of Sammy ones too! :confused:

Jim... thanks very much for that! :thumbsup: ... There doesn't seem to be too much between them (at least to my untrained eye) :rolleyes:. I prefer a couple of Panny ones, then I prefer a couple of Sammy ones too! :confused:

You're more than welcome :)

I know what you mean but overall I'm beginning to think that the Samsung might be then one to keep for me but I think I'll wait till I can get a set during "proper" daylight as well for comparison.....

Jim

I think that the Argos deal ends today ... however, Best Buy have the Samsung WB600 for the same price and with voucher code 5IMG, you get an extra 5% off bringing the price down to ÂŁ124... although this is instore only, so not everyone can avail. ... This runs for another week.

:)

Looking forward to the "daytime" daytime comparison set, Jim. :thumbsup:

are you open to suggestions for comparisons :)? if so, how about macro/close ups and portrait shots please?

are you open to suggestions for comparisons :)? if so, how about macro/close ups and portrait shots please?

Don't mind suggestions at all - should certainly be able to sort out some close up shots - probably pretty mundane objects though.

All these so far have been forced to 400 ISO as a representative MAX ISO to use for a compact so I think I'll try some close-ups at a lower ISO.

...and don't even bother asking for some "glamour" shots :laugh:

Jim

:eek: Macro ... glamour! :blush: I think you should have a go for "research purposes" of course! :smashin:

....one Prince Albert coming right up :rotfl:

Jim

Different sort of "Knob End" :rotfl: :devil:

Jim

O.K. - the comparison continues....."Oh Yes It Does!!" :laugh: <Pantomime Mode OFF>

Took some shots with both cameras in standard macro mode - again handheld - see below :-

S10

SAM_4938-resized.jpg

L10

P1000646-resized.jpg

S11

SAM_4926-resized.jpg

L11

P1000631-resized.jpg

S12

SAM_4930-resized.jpg

L12

P1000637-resized.jpg

S13

SAM_4920-resized.jpg

L13

P1000604-resized.jpg

S14

SAM_4928-resized.jpg

L14

P1000632-resized.jpg

S15

SAM_4939-resized.jpg

L15

P1000648-resized.jpg

S16

SAM_4914-resized.jpg

L16

P1000617-resized.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
It looks like the Samsung is better in most of the macro shots :( just ordered the TZ10 too =S

EDIT: just realised I ordered the TZ10 so should be alright as it has more manual functions than the TZ7, I'll just hope so ey

Last edited:
It looks like the Samsung is better in most of the macro shots :( just ordered the TZ10 too =S

EDIT: just realised I ordered the TZ10 so should be alright as it has more manual functions than the TZ7, I'll just hope so ey

Fortunately/unfortunately the TZ has an Ace up it's sleeve for macro - as you will see when I post the next set ;)

Jim

...and finally the TZ's "secret weapon" in the macro stakes - Macro-Zooom (supposedly a form of digital zoom ?) offers 1x-3x additional macro zoom from 3cm focus range.

The first set of shots below are Macro-Zoom shots taken similarly to the previous macro set for comparison - the WB600 doesn't support this mode so no WB600 shots....

L10-MZ

P1000647-resized.jpg

L11-MZ

P1000630-resized.jpg

L12-MZ

P1000639-resized.jpg

L13-MZ

P1000628-resized.jpg

L14-MZ

P1000634-resized.jpg

L15-MZ

P1000649-resized.jpg

L16-MZ

P1000613-resized.jpg

...the remaining shots wre talen for extra comparison

L90-MZ - Hologram from Credit Card....

P1000645-resized.jpg

L91-MZ - Champagne Cork....

P1000623-resized.jpg

L92-MZ - AVF Logo from Laptop Screen....

P1000616-resized.jpg

JIm

nice comparisons Jim and I'm certainly impressed by the macros especially Pannys secret weapon mode- Macros on tripod?
The panny seems to be under exposing ever so slightly on all the 'normal' shots or is it my monitor?

nice comparisons Jim and I'm certainly impressed by the macros especially Pannys secret weapon mode- Macros on tripod?
The panny seems to be under exposing ever so slightly on all the 'normal' shots or is it my monitor?

Thanks - and all shots handheld - I think you're right about the slight under exposure - though bear in mind that for consistency with the earlier (Xmassy) set both cameras were set to -1/3EV compensation so it's interesting that on the orginal set the Panny seemed to overexpose (even at that setting) a bit and under exposes here.

If only it shot RAW...

Jim

Hiya

Signed up just to ask this question . I have just been looking at the tz8 the tz10 and the wb600 . After reading reviews and seeing your shots I really think my mind is leaning towards the tz series . I cant afford a dearer camera but am really looking at the macro which is one of the better reasons I want this camera .

After seeing those last macro shots of yours with the tz , wow , I want the tz . Can I ask though , the tz10 has gps which I really dont need so preferring the tz8 .

Finally I get to the question :)

Will the tz8 reproduce those types of macro shots ?

But seriously , if the tz10 outperforms both , please let me know .

Thanks for any replies .

Nodders

Edited this to say , I have just read the thread on the tz8 v tz10 and for very little more everyone gives the tz10 the thumbs up and hd movies at the touch of a single button sounds nice . So just really need to know about the macro , thanks :)

Last edited:
HI - Macro capability will be the same on any of the models you are considering - TZ10 has 12Mpix as opposed to 10Mpix on TZ7/8 so in theory you can crop in slightly closer with TZ10 for even larger magnification but in practice you'd hardly notice it :)

Also TZ10 has higher resolution LCD but I've used both and that doesn't make much difference anyway either IMO :)

Glad you liked the shots BTW :smashin:

JIm

TZ8 has 2.7" screen as opposed to the 3" on the TZ7/10. :)

And the TZ8 (I don't think) doesn't do AVCHD for video ? or am I getting confused with the TZ6 ? :blush:

JIm

Cheers guys , appreciate the answers .

Yeah I loved those macro shots , I keep snakes and draw and paint wildlife , so was looking for a decent macro at a nice price for those close ups , plus the host of extra features will be great .

Thanks for your time and hope to get some of my own pics up at a later date :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom