Wii Component Cables | Onkyo TX-SR706 | Signal Loss

jsvb1977

Standard Member
Reaction score
Wii | Onkyo TX-SR706 | Panasonic TH 46 PZ800U Plazma

Originally, I connected the wii using the out-of-box composite cables to the Onkyo's GAME/TV input like this:

Wii > Composite > Onkyo > HDMI > Panasonic

This set-up works flawlessly [but I am only able to send a 480i signal through the ONKYO to the TV]

I then purchased the Wii COMPONENT cables and attempted the following connections:

Wii > COMPONENT > Onkyo > HDMI > Pansonic

This set up creates "signal loss" in the form of the screen going blank, the TV losing the signal, and eventually the screen turns blue. Interestingly enough, sometimes the signal is picked up again by the TV and I can play the Wii.

Some other things to note:

The signal loss occurs when navigating back and forth from the wii menu to either game discs AND/OR WiiWare.

The Onkyo does not have any COMPONENT Inputs for the Game/TV input setting -- therefore I must use COMPONENT INPUT 1 [DVD] and then use the onkyo SET UP menu to assign COMPONENT INPUT 1 [DVD] as the GAME/TV selection.

I have NOT tried to run COMPONENT cables from the Onkyo to the TV [I am trying to minimize the total number of cables running to the TV]

After messing with many settings on both the wii and the onkyo I have returned to the original configuration and the wii is working properly again.

Anyone else having this problem? Could it just be that I bought bad Wii COMPONENT cables? Is the onkyo at fault?

Let me know your thoughts! Thank you!

I just had a play around with mine today and it seems to suffer the exact same problem. Not just switching from the Wii menu to the game but also within game going from menu to menu the signal would disappear and reappear (or sometimes not appear at all until changing channel back and forth).

I *believe* the issue is caused by the scaler in the Onkyo. Ideally, unless your TV has a really poor scaler, you want the signal to be passed straight through the Onkyo and to the TV untouched and letting the TV do all the work with displaying it.

Unfortunately, using a component input outputted via HDMI does require some sort of upscaling from the Onkyo and changing input formats from the Wii means the Onkyo has to keep 'thinking' about it thus the breaks in signal.

I'm going to try tomorrow to feed a component output from the Onkyo to the television so Wii signal should be able to go through untouched. My hypothesis is this will fix the issue, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you -- I am eager to hear about your results. I also sent an email to ONKYO about this and here is their reply:

You can try the following reset: To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATION, SPEAKER DISTANCE, LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings. If that does not correct the problem you will have to take the unit to an authorized service center for repair. Onkyo receivers come with a two year manufactures warranty on Parts & Labor from date of purchase when purchased from an authorized dealer. Refurbished Onkyo receivers come with a one year warranty on Parts & Labor from date of sale when purchased from an authorized dealer.

I am unwilling at this time to perform a system reset of my ONKYO -- but perhaps I will in the not to distant future [I dont want to undo all of the speaker set up and calibration i have done].

Jason

I found this thread in a google search while trying to diagnose the exact same problem with my setup. I noticed it first when playing Super Marion Galaxy. Oddly enough the signal loss seems to be worse at different points in the game or the longer i play the game not just when i navigate around the Wii menu. Could just be coincidence? Just wondering if there has been any resolution to the problem. I'll probably try and hook up a component cable and see if the problem continues but was hoping to see if anyone knew if that worked for sure.

Chillipepper195 was on to something [read his\her post above]. I modified my connections in the following way:

Original Connection Path:
Wii Component Cable > Onkyo > HDMI Cable > TV

Modified Connection Path:
Wii Component Cable > Onkyo > Component Cable > TV

This has solved the random signal loss.

Fortunately for me, I was able to easily hide the component cable [= happy wife].

Even more importantly, my TV automatically recognizes the signal coming from the Component Cable when I toggle over to "Game" on the Onkyo. What this means is that I do not have to manually select the Component INPUT on the TV when I turn on the Wii [= happy me].

Let me know if you come across another solution [refer to my previous post - where Onkyo suggested a reset] and let us know if you try their suggestion and if it works].

PS - Volleyball Rules.

Jason

I believe I may have the same issue. I experience signal loss almost everytime I go to the Wii Shopping Channel or the Nintendo channel (with the videos). The signal is very intermittent - sometimes I get the signal, other times I don't.

I have read on other tech forums that when the screen is all nearly white (as in the two Wii Channels) some TV's may interpret this as no signal. Does anyone know if there any truth in this?

Is this the fault of my TV or the Onkyo? Is it possible I have a defective TV or Onkyo? Or a bad cable?

I also use the DVD (input 1) for the component cables.

I have the TX-SR706. This is the configuration where I experience signal loss:
Wii component cable > Onkyo > HDMI > TV

I have tried the suggested solution above:
Wii compoenent cable > Onkyo > component cable > TV

And this seems to work. Except my picture quality is now noticably worse. Which for me isn't a very good solution. Unfortunately I also have to switch inputs to component manually on my TV.

Does anyone know another way to fix this problem?

Last edited:
Why go through the amp...the upscaling benefit is minimial IMHO (I have a 875)?

As for switching inputs...one of these does the job nicely...pricey, but good (I have an older 885 model) :smashin:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/r...ch&WT.srch=1&gclid=CL_sz--Zw5oCFYFA3god2AzHrw

I believe I may have the same issue. I experience signal loss almost everytime I go to the Wii Shopping Channel or the Nintendo channel (with the videos). The signal is very intermittent - sometimes I get the signal, other times I don't.

I have read on other tech forums that when the screen is all nearly white (as in the two Wii Channels) some TV's may interpret this as no signal. Does anyone know if there any truth in this?

Is this the fault of my TV or the Onkyo? Is it possible I have a defective TV or Onkyo? Or a bad cable?

I also use the DVD (input 1) for the component cables.

I have the TX-SR706. This is the configuration where I experience signal loss:
Wii component cable > Onkyo > HDMI > TV

I have tried the suggested solution above:
Wii compoenent cable > Onkyo > component cable > TV

And this seems to work. Except my picture quality is now noticably worse. Which for me isn't a very good solution. Unfortunately I also have to switch inputs to component manually on my TV.

Does anyone know another way to fix this problem?

Why go through the amp...the upscaling benefit is minimial IMHO (I have a 875)?

As for switching inputs...one of these does the job nicely...pricey, but good (I have an older 885 model) :smashin:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/r...ch&WT.srch=1&gclid=CL_sz--Zw5oCFYFA3god2AzHrw

Thanks, I may get a universal remote like this. For the upscaling, the difference in picture quality is very noticible to my eyes. The image is much more blurry without going through the reciever. The audio cables are also being input into the reciever for surround sound and I can't stretch the video cables directly to the tv.

audio_newb,

I am surprised that the signal quality was diminished when using the component cables connecting your onkyo to the tv. I mean, the wii is only capable of sending a 480p signal to the onkyo and the onkyo is capable of sending that 480p signal through component or hdmi out.

Even if you have the onkyo set to upconvert the signal to 1080p [hdmi] or 1080i [component] i cant imagine a huge difference in quality. In fact, most people cant notice the difference. [= my wife]

Here would be my suggestions:

1. verify that you have the onkyo set to upconvert [its somewhere in the set-up menus]. I actually have mine configured to "passthrough" so no upconversion occurs and I am pleased with the picture quality.

2. try adjusting the video settings on the TV specific to the COMPONENT input you are using. hopefully, the video changes you make to the COMPONENT input will be able to be saved specifically for that INPUT.

Fair enough mate! :smashin:

Thanks, I may get a universal remote like this. For the upscaling, the difference in picture quality is very noticible to my eyes. The image is much more blurry without going through the reciever. The audio cables are also being input into the reciever for surround sound and I can't stretch the video cables directly to the tv.

audio_newb,

I am surprised that the signal quality was diminished when using the component cables connecting your onkyo to the tv. I mean, the wii is only capable of sending a 480p signal to the onkyo and the onkyo is capable of sending that 480p signal through component or hdmi out.

Even if you have the onkyo set to upconvert the signal to 1080p [hdmi] or 1080i [component] i cant imagine a huge difference in quality. In fact, most people cant notice the difference. [= my wife]

Here would be my suggestions:

1. verify that you have the onkyo set to upconvert [its somewhere in the set-up menus]. I actually have mine configured to "passthrough" so no upconversion occurs and I am pleased with the picture quality.

2. try adjusting the video settings on the TV specific to the COMPONENT input you are using. hopefully, the video changes you make to the COMPONENT input will be able to be saved specifically for that INPUT.

I've also got mine set to "through", I've found the onkyo will automatically pass the component input to the hdmi output. Only when I set my TV's input to component then the signal will output from component on the reciever. (but this involves annoying switching of inputs - which would be minimal with the universal remote suggested, and also there is the problem with dimished picture quality).

Unfortunately my TV will not allow changes to a specific input, if I change settings for one input it changes all of the inputs.

I do notice a difference at least to my eyes in picture quality when connecting component in > component out versus component in > HMDI out.

Maybe I am just stuck here unfortunately. I wonder if getting a different TV would solve the issue and would recognize the signal better. But its very pricey to find out :p.
The TV i have is a Viewsonic VX2435wm monitor. I've had to trade it in 4 times to finally get one that works, and now the 4th one has developed a dead pixel. So maybe the tv quality just isn't good. (this is a whole seperate issue I have with Viewsonic. I'm afraid to try to replace it because I already know they will send me a refurb that has more problems. After all it was refurbed for a reason.)

If the problem is with the Onkyo it's also expensive to replace but it's under warranty. So if this is a product defect at least I may have a good chance of getting it replaced.

Or maybe the problem is in the Wii itself?

I have a feeling maybe the Wii, Onkyo, and VX2435wm will all try to blame each other for this issue. I've had very bad experiences with customer service on the VX2435wm so maybe I will start with contacting Onkyo support.

I'll try to contact them this week and will report the result here. I also want to thank everyone for their helpful responses!

Here is another forum and they think the problem might be the TV
http://digg.com/gaming_news/Wii_in_480P_FREAKS_OUT_on_certain_HDTVs

Last edited:
Hello,

Found this searching after already having reported my fault to Onkyo via Richer Sounds. I had the same problem with my Wii connected to my 607 using Component & converting to HDMI to connect to my TV.

This worked perfectly well for 9 months or so, but eventually started going wrong around Christmas. It seemed to be every 30 seconds that the screen went blank, which caused all sorts of problems trying to play games. Connecting the Wii directly to the TV eradicated the issue, as did connecting the Wii to the Onkyo and the amp to the TV using Component.

My amp is currently with Onkyo so I will update this thread once I hear back!

Cheers

Kev

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom