606/605 standby power consumption

elf-stone.com

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a 606 or 605, replacing an aging hifi with 5.1, but I can't find any information about power usage in standby on the web. I just spent a good few hundred quid upgrading my mythtv box to use 55watts idle (previously it was 130), so I don't want to undo all my hard work.

Ideally I'd like to know both idle, standby and typical power consumption.

Is there anyone out there with a watt meter who can give me some indication of these numbers?

After a bit more googling, I found this, which states that the power consumption is 0.2 watts for the 605.

http://best-seat.dk/userfiles/articlepdf/onkyo_tx_sr605.pdf

I can't find anything for the 606, but I'm assuming it's not going to differ by much.

Given that the hifi it's replacing uses 18 watts on standby (compared to 19 power on), that's pretty good. If I leave it off long enough, it should pay for itself in ooh 30 years or so :D

Why dont you just turn your stuff off at the mains when your out or you know its not going to be used for a while? 0000kw used:D:D

Well, if I turn off my mythtv box when I'm not around, it won't record any programmes, which kindof defeats the purpose :rolleyes:

But yes, I could turn off the other stuff, but I'm lazy and that just won't happen. Most modern kit should use <1 watt on standby anyway, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

its going to be similar to the 805 on standby id have thought, in which case having hdmi control on will cause the power usage to rocket in standby.

Well, if I turn off my mythtv box when I'm not around, it won't record any programmes, which kindof defeats the purpose :rolleyes:

But yes, I could turn off the other stuff, but I'm lazy and that just won't happen. Most modern kit should use <1 watt on standby anyway, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Thats what i do! My sky box has to be on at all times for the same reason to record programes so the sky is connected to a different socket and on at all times. Everything else i turn off at the wall. Saves you alot of time and money. You say lazy? You must have put some considerable amount of time in trying to find out the power consupstion, and to go and buy the equipment that helps lower that. You might aswell just flick that switch on the way to bed or on the way out!!

I do know you can also get remote control plug sockets http://stores.channeladvisor.com/cablestar/items/item.aspx?itemid=4473763&source=googlebase not sure if they use any power in standby. Dont think they will otherwise it defeats the object. :D:D:thumbsup:

its going to be similar to the 805 on standby id have thought, in which case having hdmi control on will cause the power usage to rocket in standby.
Thanks, I'll bear it in mind. My 606 is on the way now, so I'll do a few tests and report back once I've got it set up.

You might aswell just flick that switch on the way to bed or on the way out!!
Switching off at the wall really is overrated for a lot of modern equipment. My Samsung LCD TV doesn't even register when on standby. YMMV, for my kit (excluding the myth box) it's in the order of a few pence per year. I'll pay that not to have to bend down all the time ;).

not sure if they use any power in standby. Dont think they will otherwise it defeats the object
The wireless receiver would have to use some power, otherwise you wouldn't be able to switch it on wirelessly.

well, bearing in mind this is an 805 so not exactly comparable but as nobody has been able to give you 605/606 numbers yet...

with hdmi control off, my meter actually says 00 watts. so less than 1 watt. with the unit on, playing no music in multi channel direct, consumption is 122 watts. with hdmi control on, in standy, the unit is drawing 65 watts.

so, unless you fancy drawing 65w for doing sod all, just turn the hdmi control off and you should be ok lol

Cheers for the info. 65 watts does seem a bit excessive. I'll give it a go and see, but I might have to live without HDMI control. TBH I'm not even sure my tv supports it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom