Nokia 808 PureView

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what does everyone think of this one? I'm a little undecided at the moment.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-808-pureview/specifications

41megapixels is obiously hugely impressive, and looking at some of the pics(see the bottom of the below link) it would mean the end of those photo opportunities I often lose when not carrying a dedicated camera and my phone not being up to the job.

It's running [-]Symbian[/-] Nokia Belle, which while offputting for many, is actually a relief to me as I'm still a fan of Symbian(does everything I need, and totally reliably too from my experience) and not so keen on the little play time I've had with WP7.

The phone itself certainly isn't a looker though, to be expected it's going to carry some heft with that huge lense, but I was hoping it would still look a little more premium than it appears in the pics and videos I've seen.

My current options for my next phone are the N9(which I love), the 808 PureView and the Sony Xperia P. Jut=st have to think which features I'm more looking for from my phone.

Nokia 808 PureView

Nokia-808-PureView-White_back-and-front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jT2tAqcWP4o

Nokia 808 PureView [Hands-on][41-Megapixel Camera][MWC 2012][HD] - YouTube

So anyone else here interested in this one, or am I alone in being tempted by a somewhat ugly Symbian smartphone with an outstanding camera in 2012?:)

Shame no Blue/Cyan colour(would have been my first choice), seems strange having Black, White and Red only.

Last edited:
I got a bit to go yet on my contract...but i like the camera...my n9 takes a good pic... so it will be what i will look at when my contract is up thou...

Very interested, design looks fine (not a lot you can do with the huge sensor bulge, except make the whole phone that size).

TBH, I'm rather underwhelmed by it. I had expected Nokia would really push the boat out with an N8 successor but guess maybe they would not want it to steal the limelight from the latest WP7 handsets.

I mean, 41MP camera is very impressive but 360x640 screen, 1.3GHz single core processor (interesting to see how that handles shifting all those pixels), just 16GB internal memory and those looks, Ooh!! All in all rather meh! I think.

TBH, I'm rather underwhelmed by it. I had expected Nokia would really push the boat out with an N8 successor but guess maybe they would not want it to steal the limelight from the latest WP7 handsets.

I mean, 41MP camera is very impressive but 360x640 screen, 1.3GHz single core processor (interesting to see how that handles shifting all those pixels), just 16GB internal memory and those looks, Ooh!! All in all rather meh! I think.

Most of the above doesn't bother me, Symbian is known as being super effecient on its processors and RAM, had it been on Android then I might have been a little concerned. [EDIT2]Just read that there's apprently a dedicated scaling chip which handles decoding the pictures.

As for the memory, it's expandable up to 48GB(not sure if that's combined or on top of the 16GB) using a microSD so more than enough for the average user I would think.

One of my disappointments is the battery, 1400 mAh doesn't fill me with confidence for being out and about snapping photos. Another thing I was hoping for was a shutter, really get annoyed how nobody seems to use these anymore, Looking at my old SonyEricsson K750 just makes me wonder why?!

[EDIT]At least battery is removeable, smart move there and quite a relief, looks like it's dual sim too.

Anyway, dinner eaten so off to read a few hands-on previews:)

Last edited:
Speaking of size[EDIT]oh, the above comment disappeared:confused:[EDIT], just been looking into that, it's very similar in size and dimensions to the E7(which I currently own). A tiny bit longer, slightly narrower, and slightly thicker with obviously the added bulk for the sensor/lense.

Should be ok for me as I've been fine with the E7. I'm happier with those dimensions than these slim but massive screened smartphones that are all the rage at the moment. It's about the maximum I think I'd find comfortable though.

808 PureView
  • Size: 123.9 x 60.2 x 13.9 mm (17.95 mm at camera)
  • Weight (with battery): 169 g

E7
  • Size: 123.7 x 62.4 x 13.6 mm
  • Weight (with battery): 176 g

Sorry deleted my prev post as wasn't 100% sure about those size comparisons I was making.

Check out the case that Nokia has designed for it:

Nokia Europe - Nokia Hard Cover CC-3046 for Nokia 808 PureView - Overview

Haha, reminds me of the old shutter cap that came with my good old N93:laugh: That piece of string is asking for trouble getting caught on something while removing the phone from your pocket, just was it was on the N93.

Just furthers my point about the lack of shutter for the camera(like the K750i for example) though, that's the only part that needs protecting as you could simply replace the back if that got damaged so the case should be needless IMO.

I'm very happy with this feature set. The only really big disappointment is the horrendously small battery. No smart phone should be packing less than 1650mAh, preferably 2000mAh. I know it's user replaceable, and I know Symbian's power management is great, but it's still a continuous and deliberate oversight on Nokia's side. So annoying. Use that camera heavily and it'll be a paper weight pretty quickly, I suspect.

I have a Galaxy S2 as a daily runner with the 2000mAh battery - hard use will see it go from 6am to after midnight easily with every radio on and active widgets, pulling emails. Medium use is 2 days. That's not bad.

I also owned a (Dreadful) Nokia Lumia 800 for the last 2 weeks - Absolutely awful phone. Battery life measured on one hand in hours. Buggy software, crashing, dropping calls, not ending calls, phantom 100% battery drains at night, wouldn't boot for hours after running flat and a very limited OS. Never again with a Windows Phone. Just awful. And Nokia 'Care' was pathetic.

I loved Symbian on the N8 I just sold - but Belle did take a lot of functionality away from the handset over Anna. I'm not sure why Nokia decided to remove so many useful little features that had been in the OS for years?

I'll be giving this phone a go as a second handset along side the SGS2, simply because Symbian is tried and tested. Not sure if i'll be selling the Samsung any time soon though, damn, that's a cracking handset. :)

Nokia still have a huge uphill task to get back to health - phones like this won't help with shareholder's confidence (Nokia shares dropped 5.6% on this announcement today!) but it will please a few old Nokia loyals who appreciate seeing a 'Dead' OS taking the top spot long after it's obituary was published!

I'm very happy with this feature set. The only really big disappointment is the horrendously small battery.

We'll have to wait for some in depth reviews to see how long it lasts under heavy camera use. I should think for general use it will be absolutley fine. If I was going on holiday and using it as my main point and shoot then I can see myself carrying a spare battery just in case.

I'm really excited about this phone, easily the best thing at MWC this year IMO. I've been looking to upgrade my p&s camera recently, but given my fetish for all things phone related it would make sense for me to hold off for this instead. I actually like the design of the handset too, looks futuristic, when I whip it out people will be like: 'what the ****!' :cool:

Having read a few previews on various websites, one thing that is getting on my nerves already is the amount of so called experts commenting on how you shouldn't consider this phone due to being on Symbian OS, meaning it's clunky(it isn't!) and won't be seeing much if any support.

They do realise support for Symbian has been promised until 2015(we've already seen Anna and Belle, next is Carla then Donna), and that support for the existing Symbian^3 phones has actually been very good up to now? Reason I get annoyed is that the constantly give the impression that if you're on Android you're set for lifetime support which is far from the truth and support for many Android phones has often been pretty shocking(more down to the companies than the OS). Support for my Android powered Motorola Milestone for instance dried up within a matter of mere months and left the phone lacking feautures that were promised, and my Symbian powered Nokia E7 received far better support than the Android equivalent HTC Desire Z that my wife owned.

Fair enough Android has a constant flow of apps heading to its market, but if that's the point these reviewers/bloggers are trying to make they should be clearer, very damaging and misleading to the casual mobile buyers.

Anyway, rant over, just had to get it off my chest:)

Last edited:
So, those that are considering the 808, which colour are you fancying?

Nokia Europe - Nokia 808 PureView with 41 MP camera

Nokia_808_PureView_black_Back_400x400.png
Nokia_808_PureView_white_Back_400x400.png
Nokia_808_PureView_red_Back_400x400.png

With the lack of Blue I'm not sure which I prefer. The White and the Red have the nicer colour contrast with the black details, although would be concerned the White could easily get dirty/dull with use, and Red does make it look even less of a phone and more a camera(good or bad?).

Probably be boring and play it safe with the Black if I do choose an 808 over the N9, it's the classic after all and White does seem to be the new Black lately so far from unique(although the White N9 certainly does still tempt me).

White one for me, would then be able to add some funky back covers without them clashing ;)

They all look good but I'm leaning towards red, it looks really nice in white but I think most people will choose white and there aren't many red phones about. I bet my network (orange) don't offer this on contract so I'll have to fork out full whack, but then that will give me more colour choice.

White one for me, would then be able to add some funky back covers without them clashing ;)

Guess the same could be said for black, strangely Nokia are only doing the official hard back in black and red/black, at least so far. Guess either would go with the white mind you.

They all look good but I'm leaning towards red, it looks really nice in white but I think most people will choose white and there aren't many red phones about. I bet my network (orange) don't offer this on contract so I'll have to fork out full whack, but then that will give me more colour choice.

Brave:) although I agree it will be more different and that's one of the things that could tempt me to red. Can imagine my workplace full of "why'd you choose the womans colour?" though:laugh: All a bit matcho in my work:rolleyes:

What are the chances they're holding back on the Blue/Cyan colour for when a WP7 varient becomes available down the line? I'm guessing likely.

See I reckon white is more girly than red...

Having looked at the cases again I could go for the black handset with the black/red case, that would give me best of both.

See I reckon white is more girly than red...

Having looked at the cases again I could go for the black handset with the black/red case, that would give me best of both.

:DWouldn't argue with you either way, to be fair none are particularly girly IMO, not like the Magneta(pink) N9 for instance.

The only coloured parts are the back cover and the surround (hardly anything visible from the front). Replacing the back leaves very little of the original cover. Sorted :)

Need to get rid of N9 soon to prepare :)

Need to get rid of N9 soon to prepare :)

Please do drop me a PM when you're about to pop it on the classifieds(assuming you sell it here), I'm still very much undecided between the 808 and another N9 and depending price could be tempted with a preowned N9;)

I think a 'burnt orange' colour would look great against the black camera surround. (I made that colour up, but I'll know what I mean...if I saw it!)

In lieu of there being no blue or orange, i'll be having a black one.

Edit: Added 2 mock-up colours that I'd like to see. Please. Mr. Elop :)

Nokia_808_PureView_blue_Back_400x400.jpg

Nokia_808_PureView_orange_Back_400x400.jpg

Nokia_808_PureView_limegreen_Back_400x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, now if those two were options(similar to colours Nokia have used previously with the N8 and E7 etc.) they'd be my first and second choice over the others.

As I mentioned earlier, wouldn't be one bit surprised if Elop is holding those colours back for when they're able to do a WP7 varient.

The orange is nice. How about lime green? :D

Either way, I'm not too stressed about which colour I get...as long as I can get a UK one asap :)

I think Nokia will be licensing this tech out to every company that it can, but it would also be good to see Nokia produce its own line of compact cameras / PMP's with the PureView imaging. Stripped of radios (well keep wifi) and basic camera centric OS, they could keep the price right down and sell millions. Either way, I can see this becoming 'the' way forward for all levels of photography. (coupled with some stunning L glass lenses - this would be a great feature on DSLR's for live view image cropping for zooming)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom