Homeplug and wireless router connecting xbox, pc and laptop

edgayton

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope you can help as I'm a bit stumped. My setup is
1. Belkin wireless router connected to a cable modem and a homeplug adapter via an ethernet port.
2. PC upstairs connected to homeplug adapter (also has a wireless card which is disabled).
3. Laptop connected via wireless
4. XBOX running XBMC connected to a homeplug adapter.

All of the above devices can connect to the internet successfully so I know that they can all connect to the router and the homeplugs are all working properly.
HOWEVER, I can't get the XBOX or the PC to 'see' each other when connected like this. The laptop can 'see' both of them.

If I connect the PC via wireless and disconnect it from the homeplug then it CAN connect with the XBOX but I really want both to be wired for greater speed and reliability.

My theory is that the connection works when it goes through the router
ie PC-->wireless-->router-->homeplug-->XBOX but that if both homeplugs are connected the XBOX and PC try to talk directly as well as through the router.

So my question is 'How can I get this working?' Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ed

Just a quick thought off the top of my head. Has the PC got a software firewall installed?

My thinking is that it may use different firewall profiles when connected wirelessly as opposed to wired and this may be stopping the Xbox connection.

Hi there,
Yes, it does have ZoneAlarm installed but I have configured it to allow access to the correct IP ranges and I've also tried turning it off completely but to no effect. Thanks for replying though.
Ed

Oh well one idea bites the dust :)

Another idea: Could you move the PC closer to the router temporarily and wire it to the router and see if if can see the Xbox then? It'd rule out any problems with your PC's Network card then.

One more thought springs to mind, are the Xbox and PC sufficiently close together to connect them via a single Homeplug and a switch?

Apologies if all of this is no use to you, I'm not totally clear on the siting of your kit so can only offer suggestions based on what I'd try :)

I've read your other post here so am trying to avoid duplication.

i have a similar setup, belking router and homeplugs, and when adding new items i got the same problem, which was resolved by adding the IP addy of the devices into zonealarm

don't ask me how as it took a while to suss it all out. the reason it may work with wireless but not wired is cuz the wireless connection may have seperate settings in zonealarm

Oh well one idea bites the dust :)

Another idea: Could you move the PC closer to the router temporarily and wire it to the router and see if if can see the Xbox then? It'd rule out any problems with your PC's Network card then.

One more thought springs to mind, are the Xbox and PC sufficiently close together to connect them via a single Homeplug and a switch?

Apologies if all of this is no use to you, I'm not totally clear on the siting of your kit so can only offer suggestions based on what I'd try :)

I've read your other post here so am trying to avoid duplication.

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I'm afraid I also posted on digitalspy and I guess there's a fair bit of cross-readership. Unfortunately the router is downstairs and the PC upstairs- don't fancy moving the PC unless I get really desperate. THe XBOX is under my TV so not close enough to anything to connect via wire (the wife wouldn't be happy either).

I think the PC's network card is OK as it can connect to the internet OK.

i have a similar setup, belking router and homeplugs, and when adding new items i got the same problem, which was resolved by adding the IP addy of the devices into zonealarm

don't ask me how as it took a while to suss it all out. the reason it may work with wireless but not wired is cuz the wireless connection may have seperate settings in zonealarm

I've tried this already (even tried turning ZoneAlarm off completely) but it doesn't work unfortunately. Thanks for suggestion though.

have you tried switching your homeplugs around, move the one from the router downstairs and the xbox one upstairs.
it could also be the wiring in your house

OK last idea for today :)

Presumably when you change from wireless to wired on your PC the ip address of the PC changes ( both NICs will have different mac addresses so, assuming you're using DHCP on the router, it'll assign a different ip address ).

I've never used XBMC but is there some way you have to tell it it's looking for a different ip address from the wireless connection or link them in someway?

OK it's time to confess to a stupid error.

Yes, I already knew that homeplugs aren't supposed to work when used with extension leads, especially surge-protected ones. However, the XBOX (which was plugged in to one of those leads) had always seemed to work so I thought I'd got away with it.

However, now I've taken it off that lead and plugged it directly into the wall it seems to connect as it should. Perhaps the circuitry could cope just about with one homeplug on the wiring but when another was introduced it tipped things over the edge?

Well, whatever the reason, things are working now. Thank you for all your constructive replies. Apologies for my own stupidity!

Ed

Hi I've just gone from connecting my PC to XBMC from a wireless bridge to one of these homeplugs. The Homeplug thats connected to my PC router goes straight in the wall and my XBOX feeds of a 4way extension lead in the living room downstairs. I had no such problems, but possibly it was some slight electrical interferance that caused the problem.

It made me test out trying the XBOX homeplug direct in the mains and I noticed that the speed of copying files almost doubled!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom