Open port on TP-Link TD-W8960N router

Reaction score
I am trying to open port 5005 on my TP link router so I can access my files on my Synology NAS remotely and have followed the instructions here:

Port Forwarding Synology DS410j on the TP-Link TD-W8960N - PortForward.com

However, when I run a couple of little tools to see if the port is open, it says it is closed.

Just to be certain I am putting the right IP address in, I have entered IP addresses of my NAS, PC and router. When I go out of the settings for the router and go back in, it chows they are open.

I have also disabled the firewall on my Windows 7 PC but the port is still showing as closed. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

When you say IP address of the router - which one are you trying?

Ideally you need to test it from a network outside yours and use your routers WAN IP address.

It's the address I put in the address bar to log into the router.

I'm pretty sure it's not working because I can't log in to my NAS from 3G on my iPhone using the Synology DS file app.

No, I was trying the IP address of my NAS from the iphone. Apparently, I need to open port 5005 on my router (IP address 192.168.1.1) to acces the files on my NAS via the internet/iphone/ipad.

No, I was trying the IP address of my NAS from the iphone. Apparently, I need to open port 5005 on my router (IP address 192.168.1.1) to acces the files on my NAS via the internet/iphone/ipad.

I thought you'd done that - that's what you said in your first post. Was that port not open then?

Sorry I'm not being clear!

On my PC, I enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar to enter my router settings. I follow the instructions linked to above. In the router "advanced settings", I go into "NAT", I enter the router's IP address and put in the "external port start" (5005) and "external port end" (5006).

The various tools I have tried suggest the port is still closed.

Entry to my NAS on the iphone is through an app, made available by Synology (the manufacturers of my NAS). The app requires me to enter the IP address of my NAS, and the username and password. However, it is not allowing access, which again suggests the port is not open.

Keiron said:
Sorry I'm not being clear!

On my PC, I enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar to enter my router settings. I follow the instructions linked to above. In the router "advanced settings", I go into "NAT", I enter the router's IP address and put in the "external port start" (5005) and "external port end" (5006).

So when you are changing these settings, what are you entering in the box for 'server ip address'? That should be the internal ip address of your NAS not your routers ip address.

from the link you gave earlier the article suggests that all the port groups need to be defined on your router.
So that would be 25 lines of Port Forwarding. In all instances the Server IP Address is the address of the NAS box (192.168.1.xxx)

Next I would suggest(on the router) you go to Advanced Setup ---- LAN and add an entry for the NAS box to the Static IP Lease List. The Synology software will probably tell you the MAC address of the NAS box. By doing this you ensure that the NAS box always gets the same IP Address from the router and therefore all your Port Forwarding rules remain current.
(On the router) go to Device Info ---- WAN. What you are looking for is the External IP Address of the router. Make a note of it as you will need it later.

Now from the posts you say you tried the IP Address of the NAS on the iPhone app,would this have been the 192.168.1.xxx address of the NAS box ? If so this is where you are going wrong. The 192.168 address scheme is private by definition and cannot be seen from the internet. Hence we have NAT / Port Forwarding to get round this. The IP Address you need to put in the iPhone app is the External IP Address of the router.

from the link you gave earlier the article suggests that all the port groups need to be defined on your router.
So that would be 25 lines of Port Forwarding. In all instances the Server IP Address is the address of the NAS box (192.168.1.xxx)

Thanks. However, advice elsewhere on the Synology forums is you only need to open 5005 for this purpose. I have also tried opening for the NAS address.

Next I would suggest(on the router) you go to Advanced Setup ---- LAN and add an entry for the NAS box to the Static IP Lease List. The Synology software will probably tell you the MAC address of the NAS box. By doing this you ensure that the NAS box always gets the same IP Address from the router and therefore all your Port Forwarding rules remain current.
(On the router) go to Device Info ---- WAN. What you are looking for is the External IP Address of the router. Make a note of it as you will need it later.
I cannot get a MAC address for the NAS. I have been through every menu item on the control panel, and there is no reference to this topic in the manual or online tutorials.Is there a little program I can run to find it? [edit: I have found out how to do this somewhere else online and will try tonight when I get home!]

Now from the posts you say you tried the IP Address of the NAS on the iPhone app,would this have been the 192.168.1.xxx address of the NAS box ? If so this is where you are going wrong. The 192.168 address scheme is private by definition and cannot be seen from the internet. Hence we have NAT / Port Forwarding to get round this. The IP Address you need to put in the iPhone app is the External IP Address of the router.
I have previously tried both and neither works.

I need to find the MAC address but the problem still remains that the port is closed!

Last edited:
Bear in mind that your routers external IP address is likely to change - ISP's don't (usually) give you the same one forever. You might care to look at DynDNS to get around this.

To test you port forward, you need to connect the client device (phone) to a network outside your LAN. You phones Cellular service should be fine, but make sure the phones Wi-Fi is turned off when testing otherwise it's likely to try to use the wifi interface rather than the cell interface which will completely side step the poot forward rules you are trying to test.

Without knowing your phone - most devices tend to try to use the "fastest" interface they can for outbound traffic and in a smartphone with a wifi and cell interface both active, it's likely to prefer the wifi interface.

I cannot get a MAC address for the NAS. I have been through every menu item on the control panel, and there is no reference to this topic in the manual or online tutorials.Is there a little program I can run to find it?

From a PC, open a CMD prompt, "ping" your NAS, the type "arp -a"

The reply from arp displays the PC's current IP Vs MAC Address cache. (Be quick though, on PC's it ages out in a few minutes.)

I will try the above advice tonight when I get home from work but I'm already intimidated by the terminology :(

For info, these people here (and I was follwoing their online instructions which didn't work) will gurantee to open your port for $29.95

PortForward.com - Automatically forward your ports with PFconfig.

I'll give it another hour tonight then admit defeat and get on to them!

What version of DSM are you using ?

I just downloaded the user guide for 410J which is based on DSM3.2. Having read through it there is a clear screen shot when using the Synology Assistant the management tab for selecting the NAS shows the MAC Address clearly.

Have you configured the NAS itself for the various services you want ?

Thanks, I'm using 3.2, which is radically different to those instructions (mens renamed etc). However someone on the Synology forum has told me where to find it.

Yes I am certain the NAS is configured correctly in terms of priveleges, enabling "webdav" (whatever that is!)

I still have the main issue however of opening the port to deal with.

From a PC, open a CMD prompt, "ping" your NAS, the type "arp -a"

The reply from arp displays the PC's current IP Vs MAC Address cache. (Be quick though, on PC's it ages out in a few minutes.)

Can you please expand on this? I know how to open CMD but the rest I don't get at all I'm afraid.

Did you check to see if Firewall on NAS is configured to allow the various services required through ?

Have you checked that UPnP is enabled on the router ?

Last edited:
Thanks yes I have checked both those things.

Given I couldn't open the port on my TP Link router, I have fished out a BT Homehub2 router which it looks like has opened the port on the BT settings but not according to the online tools. Still , no access.

OK so I finally got the MAC address, go into router settings, add it in as you suggest and it tells me it's an "invalid MAC address". Honestly :rolleyes:

How did you enter the MAC Address ? Seperated by : or - ?

:facepalm: Which router are you using ? The way of tying the IP Address and MAC address are different depending on the router.

It's a TP Link router. (I have also been trying with a BT Homehub and that won't work either!)

Other thought - did you put the letters in upper or lower case ? (Yes,some routers can be that fussy)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom