P/X value down by nearly 50% in 6 weeks !

Hopefully people will start to realise what a rip off car prices are in this country. I especially think the German car companies are guilty of charging far too much for their cars.
All IMHO of course !

I think it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. We wanted to buy a new car, have the money for it, but since px prices have collapsed we won't give our car away out of principle. The things is that I don't mind a low trade-in price if I can get a good discount on a new car as I always look at the overall deal/package. But many dealers notably Audi/BMW don't seem to be discounting their new cars, so the cycle grinds to a hold. As my wife's car a petrol large 4x4 we get offered about £2k below the glasses guide, even at the original brand dealer!

Nissan on the other hand is a total different story, I bought myself a very nice pickup truck with approximately 40% discount brand new....

Went to another dealer today , told him that I had been offered a derisory P/X value against what I wanted & if he was to do the same I'd just turn round & walk out . He asked me what I had been offered & said he'd see what he could do . I countered by saying that if he knew that he would beat it by £50 so it would be best to to start afresh . Well the Glasses guide had given me a rough estimate but I was ready to be offered maybe slightly less , maybe slightly more . He then came back after taking the car for a drive & giving it the once over , then the crucial moment arrived . Best I could do , he said , was £3600 , I had a disappointed look on my face but inside I was beaming . He then countered & said £3800 , take it or leave it . I said give me 24hrs to think it over but I will be straight with him , just waiting for the next call to see if he ups the anti any further .

One fellah was there & he said , " what is the best cash price on this particular car ? " , screen price was £11450 , salesman said " to drive away today £10,000 cash ! "

Last edited:
Went to another dealer today , told him that I had been offered a derisory P/X value against what I wanted & if he was to do the same I'd just turn round & walk out . He asked me what I had been offered & said he'd see what he could do . I countered by saying that if he knew that he would beat it by £50 so it would be best to to start afresh . Well the Glasses guide had given me a rough estimate but I was ready to be offered maybe slightly less , maybe slightly more . He then came back after taking the car for a drive & giving it the once over , then the crucial moment arrived . Best I could do , he said , was £3600 , I had a disappointed look on my face but inside I was beaming . He then countered & said £3800 , take it or leave it . I said give me 24hrs to think it over but I will be straight with him , just waiting for the next call to see if he ups the anti any further .
Good one :smashin:

One fellah was there & he said , " what is the best cash price on this particular car ? " , screen price was £11450 , salesman said " to drive away today £10,000 cash ! "
Music to my ears :)

I have finally settled on a new car because of the deal involved & "cost to change " . In the end I got £2950 against an 08 Mondeo 2.5 Titanium X , 2341 miles , 8 months old , Ford Direct with remainder of the 3yrs warranty for £11985 !

It cost me £9035 to change for what was a reputed £24,000 new motor a short while ago , maybe a £21,000 motor in reality on the dealers forecourt .

This car is incredible , quiet but toys galore , extremely stable due to the sport pack fitted , what really swayed it was that marvellous 5 cylinder 2.5 Turbo Volvo engine in it , 217 BHP & torquey enough to pull tree stumps up .

Marvellous car , vastly underrated , who wants BMW's !

Depreciation , what the hell , a large proportion of that has already passed in the last 8 months or so .

Last edited:

I hope he said something like "Aw heck, I've only got 9 nine grand I can spend today".

Sounds a great car,always rated volvo engines. Mate had a 850 t5 but had to get shut due to terrible mpg. Whats yours like?

But many dealers notably Audi/BMW don't seem to be discounting their new cars, so the cycle grinds to a hold.

Unless you want the new Q5, 10% discounts should be readily achieveable on a new Audi, maybe more. Similar story with BMW.
:lesson:
Sidicks

Last edited:
Sounds a great car,always rated volvo engines. Mate had a 850 t5 but had to get shut due to terrible mpg. Whats yours like?

My V70 has always averaged around 25 MPG in town , on a cruise on the motorway it's been about 35MPG . I haven't actually got the Mondeo yet , be towards the end of the week .

Unless you want the new Q5, 10% discounts should be readily achieveable on a new Audi, maybe more. Similar story with BMW.
:lesson:
Sidicks

10% discounts have always been available, I do not call that a discount :cool: That's a little margin that dealers can play with...No in the current climate I expect manufacturers discounts on these vehicle and them clearing out their stock pile from the fields....As such 25-35% should easily be achievable as they are, if not higher, form the non-German brands...

The price is superb , I was lucky that I didn't want a diesel version , they were nearly £4000 more !

love the new shape, pretty colour as well mate :thumbsup:

People do need to realise that in the car industry it is a two way thing.
You cannot have your cake and eat it.

Cars at the moment are at an all time low.
If you want to buy brand new there are some great deals to be had.
Second hand, from 12 months to 8 years old there are some amazing deals to be had out there.

The flip-side is that at the same time the price of the cars being sold goes down then so does the price offered to you as part-ex.
All cars have gone down in value and any car taken in part-ex needs to be sold - again at the current low prices.

In an ideal world you'd get "top dollar" for your car via part-ex against a car at a new all time low.
Alas any dealership doing this would soon find themselves out of business.

My V70 has always averaged around 25 MPG in town , on a cruise on the motorway it's been about 35MPG . I haven't actually got the Mondeo yet , be towards the end of the week .

What engine was the V70?

What engine was the V70?

140 BHP model , in my view a lot better than the 170BHP model , that needs revving to get going whereas the lower output model has more low down torque .

My recent experience at BMW.

Had a 3 years old 520se that was coming to the ends of its PCP. BMW wanted 14,500 for me to keep it.
Though about changing for something with more power such as 525d i thought 530d (list price) was too much for my bugdet.
Spent a few days dealing for the replacement and ended up getting out of my deal 2 months early (saving £800 on the 520), getting £8000 off a new 530d Msport (speced by the dealer in showroom with 1.7 miles on clock)with some extras (paint, big wheels etc...). Ultimatly the PCP payments are about £100 per month more than the 520. Great deals on new larger cars out there. What will happen in 3 years, who knows, but at least i have a final value to work with (~£17,500).

Incedently the 520 was on his forecourt for 12500 the same week. That equates to another £2000 loss the dealer had to stand and not me. He was very keen to get rid of the 530.

He also had a 06 M5 with 23,000 miles he would have taken ~25K for, now thats mega depreciation

V70SES let us know what MPG is like on Mondeo. Hell of a lot of car for money.

My bro had a Focus ST he said the MPG was shocking, don't hold out much hope of it being better in the Mondeo but who knows, I really fancy one, 2.2TDCI for me though.

Liam

My bro had a Focus ST he said the MPG was shocking, don't hold out much hope of it being better in the Mondeo but who knows, I really fancy one, 2.2TDCI for me though.

Liam

That is because he probably drove it like an ST is meant to be driven !

Liam

I have the Mondy 2.2 TDCi ST, and the mpg is pretty good. Go on motorway runs and you can get upper 40's and even 50+ depending how you drive. Around town, it's not difficult to get late 30's, early 40's.

It's a great car, loads of torque..........more so if you've had it chipped :D

But your Username is wrong now V70 :)

PM a mod, sometimes they let you change it for 'special reasons' ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom