Dash cams

Expired

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone use a dash cam in case of an accident or insurance scam ? If so could you tell what make please and how much did it cost you.

Road Hawk are releasing their new high definition version RoadHawk HD very soon within the next 2 months or so, so it may be worth waiting until then. Also consider the BlackVue HD.

Ive got the new Drift HD on my helmet, but it also comes with a dash mount if you want to pay a few quid extra. Full hd (1080p) really impressive quality despite it only 200 quid. Make sre it the new one you check out and NOT the old huge drift 170

Edit: fyi its not got built in gps

Last edited:
Didn't know whether to post in this thread or the other, but Garmin have released a car camera called the GDR-20. It integrates with one of their sat nav models. In particular the software looks very good (you can download it free from their website to have a look) and obviously interposes all relevant GPS data onto the video.

Only snag is the price and the fact you need to buy one of their sat navs with digital tv built in.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Tempted to get one for the wife, as she is infuriatingly unable to remember numberplates of people who do stupid things around her.
For example, someone overtook her as she was stopped at a zebra crossing the other day.
That's a dangerous driving charge all day, but she didn't take a note of the reg.....:-(

FZR400RRSP said:
Tempted to get one for the wife, as she is infuriatingly unable to remember numberplates of people who do stupid things around her.
For example, someone overtook her as she was stopped at a zebra crossing the other day.
That's a dangerous driving charge all day, but she didn't take a note of the reg.....:-(

Just out of interest what would you do with the footage if you had recorded it?

Sandman said:
Just out of interest what would you do with the footage if you had recorded it?

Reported them, what else?
I'd have reported them if my wife had remembered the bleedin' reg, never mind camera footage.

Can the police do anything with that information? Particularly if you/the camera doesn't see the driver.

imightbewrong said:
Can the police do anything with that information? Particularly if you/the camera doesn't see the driver.

You don't need 'proof' to report a driver just now.
Wouldn't you report someone overtaking you at a zebra crossing, with or without a camera?
If you've got the car reg, you make a complaint.
The police then go after the registered owner, or driver in the case of a leased car.
A mate's nephew was banned from driving on the word of a couple of witnesses, there was no hard proof there.

Last edited:
FZR400RRSP said:
Wouldn't you report someone overtaking you at a zebra crossing, with or without a camera?

Probably not, no - I wouldn't think it would achieve anything. I report debris on the highway though :)

A mate's nephew was banned from driving on the word of a couple of witnesses, there was no hard proof there.

I find that very surprising I must say.

I find that very surprising I must say.

Me too, would be interested to know what he was banned for.
Was it no insurance/licence?
Unlikely to be dangerous driving as that is very difficult to prove.
Driving without due care wouldnt necessarily see a ban.
Perhaps a combination of things may result in one though.

This is going off topic though. Has anyone ordered up one of these cheap dashcams yet?

imightbewrong said:
Probably not, no - I wouldn't think it would achieve anything. .

If you make a complaint, the police are obliged to contact the owner of the car and put the allegation to them.
Confronting them about their driving is better than doing nothing.

Has anyone ordered up one of these cheap dashcams yet?

I'd be keen to see what people have to say. My journey to work is progressively getting poorer and poorer with some quite frankly outrageous driving (not mine!). For £20 (ish) this seems like a no-brainer, especially with SD cards so cheap.

If they continue at this price (eBay one), I can see them being as popular as Satnav units.

After I posted about this cam I ordered one yesterday and it's been posted by the seller. I will let you know what I think about it when it arrives.

After I posted about this cam I ordered one yesterday and it's been posted by the seller. I will let you know what I think about it when it arrives.

A 720p sample would be nice to see as well, as the ones posted by a seller, as genuine as they may be (!), certainly doesn't beat something posted by a stranger online :laugh:

A 720p sample would be nice to see as well, as the ones posted by a seller, as genuine as they may be (!), certainly doesn't beat something posted by a stranger online :laugh:

The sellers postcode is UB****, where the video shown is the A66 Newport road in Middlesbrough (TS****, I know it well).
This shows that the seller is using a stock video and not one necessarily taken with the unit he is selling.

Would be interesting in seeing the actual video from this unit.

Last edited:
Sorry, double post.

The sellers postcode is UB****, where the video shown is the A66 Newport road in Middlesbrough (I know it well).
This shows that the seller is using a stock video and not one necessarily taken with the unit he is selling.

Would be interesting in seeing the actual video from this unit.

Ah, well the seller does say in the listing "Video Sample taken by Buyer" :smashin: Which is still something that could be "fishy", but benefit of doubt and all that!

Ah, well the seller does say in the listing "Video Sample taken by Buyer" :smashin: Which is still something that could be "fishy", but benefit of doubt and all that!

Had a little chuckle at him driving through no entry (to cars and motorbikes) signs at the bus station.

PCthug -

Could you tell us how police might act if a driver presented with video from a dash cam showing another person's illegal driving, e.g. parking on a zebra crossing, undertaking etc.

If the video clearly showed the driver and vehicle reg would you be able to take action and more importantly would police be interested?

If the answer was yes I'd be more interested in getting one, I drive around 50,000 miles a year and I see some pretty awful driving/accidents. I would feel a lot better about myself if I could help police enforce the more important traffic laws!

The one time I really wish I had a camera was when I saw a woman run over and kill a pedestrian right in front of me. The accident was entirely avoidable if the woman had not been speeding and/or was more observant, but in the absence of proof my word against hers was not enough to prosecute.

Last edited:
Firstly the fatal you witnessed I would be interested in more details as there should have been some charge there. I have investigated fatals and been to MANY.

The police would be interested in any offences caught on CCTV, but it depends really on the officer.
You would need to give a statement with a view of possibly going to court as its your evidence.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom