Slowly starting my home cinema set up

nickers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, im new to the forum just thought i would say hello and post my home cinema set up, nothing amazing yet, should be getting my REL strata in a few weeks then i i can sort the centre (thinking acoustic energy aliete or linear) then the rears followed by the fronts and then i can move the linns out into the bedroom. excuse the poor quality picture i'll take some new ones tonight. Any advise welcome room dimensions are 13' x 15' although the kitchen is atached to the lounge as an extra 13' x 12'

Attachments

• DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,430
Last edited:
i'll get some new ones done tonight the stand was a bargain i reckon nickle plated frame with black glass

Good start mate:smashin:those are nice chunky speakers i bet they pump out a lot of power.

yeah the linns are getting on a bit nowadays but they still fill the room nicely and really great control

some slightly better pics lol my priorities are so far (advice welcome) next either REL strata Sub, centre (still undecided) then sort those crappy rears out

Attachments

• P8260023.jpg
    P8260023.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 697
  • P8260024.jpg
    P8260024.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 546
  • P8260025.jpg
    P8260025.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 318
  • P8260026.jpg
    P8260026.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 379
  • P8260027.jpg
    P8260027.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 308
  • P8260028.jpg
    P8260028.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 310
  • P8260031.jpg
    P8260031.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
:clap:Right ok i have just ordered the acoustic energy neo 3b package :) should be here in a few days, i can then move the Linns into the bedroom until our flat mate moves out, once she is out i'll pop them into the spare room with my linn magic amp and lp12 deck. i can finally build floor to ceiling shelving, and use the new "den" as my vynal and dvd store / listening room, next up is the onkyo tx-sr606 for the neos. can anyone reccomend some sub £1000 floorstanders to replace my linns? i could go with some very nice bookshelves and use my strata for bottom end although im a bit worried that the strata and my amp wouldn't do the bookshelves any justice:suicide:

Last edited:
Off topic a bit but i see you have a ps3 and 360. which one do you use more and do you have one or the other for specific reasons?

i was weighing up the other day between a 360 elite or nintendo wii. in the end i went for the wii for something different but just wondered how you justify having the two consoles and thought if there was anything i didnt think about when purchasing.

Thanks

Nice AV rack and screen mount, looks very tidy!:smashin:

Off topic a bit but i see you have a ps3 and 360. which one do you use more and do you have one or the other for specific reasons?

i was weighing up the other day between a 360 elite or nintendo wii. in the end i went for the wii for something different but just wondered how you justify having the two consoles and thought if there was anything i didnt think about when purchasing.

Thanks

I use the PS3 as my bluray primarily, and the X-box only for gaming i.e fable 2 call of duty etc, although i use my PS3 for all my racing games (gt5, grid, dirt etc) because you can use any wheel and pedals you like (g25, driving force pro etc) However i do like forza 2 but it seems you can't use any "decent" steering wheels with the Xbox. which for me throws the xbox out the window for any good driving sims.

I must say though the xbox, wii and PS3 are aimed at 3 different markets xbox is for "hardcore gamers" the PS3 is for "Family/gaming/sims" and the wii is aimed at the "family market" i had a wii for a while but it just didn't do it for me, and its not HD:eek:. if iirc microsoft are teaming up with nintendo to create an all in one console aimed to cover the family and gamers market. it would be nice to have a more capable wii with 1080p :suicide:

Tell you what, as much as I love my PS3 (when I eventually buy another one, anyway!) seeing a console with the 360's software, graphics but the fun taken care of by Nintendo would be awesome.

Not too sure it will actually happen though!

Good setup mate, keeping a close eye on thread for the updates :)

Ok the NEOs arrived yesterday :) looking lovely. more of a side step from the LINNs though tbh. good detail and co-hesive sound. i need some stands for the rears prob going to go 70cm, ideally i would like the rears (well sides really) a couple of feet above me but i cannot wall mount (rented flat) i'll take some pictures tonight to put up. the sub really needs setting up though, i've been told :rolleyes: the sub isn't allowed to be halfway along the side wall and as such has been relegated to the corner next to the sofa, (seems a bit on the weak side but boomy? prob notch filter, finding it fustrating to set the phase on my own with no db meter:suicide:) i'll set the system up properly after i have the new amp and stands and run some freq sweeps :lesson:. But until then they can stay how they are (levels matched by ear, delays set, sub phase kinda set) but next on the list is new speaker cable for the rears and the new AV reciever (tx-sr606). Also bought apple t.v last week (cheap HD movies and goodies from the states ;) ) thats actually better than i expected although storage is an issue so i may have to void the warrenty to allow network storage. then i can share my 500GB mirror netgear SC101 (music only) accross the network so all my devices can stream music :smashin:

I must say though the xbox, wii and PS3 are aimed at 3 different markets xbox is for "hardcore gamers" the PS3 is for "Family/gaming/sims" and the wii is aimed at the "family market" i had a wii for a while but it just didn't do it for me, and its not HD:eek:.

thanks for your opinion. i know what you mean with the xbox being more for hardcore gamers. its always considered that way. battlefield on ps3 is great though. haha

maybe a 360 will be put on the ever increasing list of things to get then. haha

ok sorry about the very poor pictures but here are some. i will take better photos when i get home later

Attachments

• DSC00033.jpg
    DSC00033.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00034.jpg
    DSC00034.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 371
Ok finally managed to get some ok pics up but still suffering on the quality side. need some rear stands desperatley though :(
PB070080.jpg

PB070081.jpg

PB070088.jpg

PB070082.jpg

PB070083.jpg

PB070086.jpg

PB070087.jpg

PB070085.jpg

PB070084.jpg

PB070090.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?