Apple Macs do my head in

I was curious to see if there has been a fix yet as you rightly point out, some of the articles are old. I'm amazed that there hasn't been any progress in the last 3 years, there seem to be a lot of people suffering the same issue and it would not take months of coding to allow customised mouse acceleration curves!

Actually it appears there are very few people "suffering" as this is literally the only instance I can recall reading of in about 5 years of perusing Mac forums.

Actually it appears there are very few people "suffering" as this is literally the only instance I can recall reading of in about 5 years of perusing Mac forums.

Got to agree. Never heard anyone moan about the tracking speed on a Mac before. Just up the settings and away it goes. Just the same as XP (which I used all the time at work) for me and both can be ramped up further to make the cursor a blur :D

Even with my old mighty mouse it takes very little t move the cursor over the screen on my Mini which doesn't have any 3rd party mouse software installed.

I've never had a problem, and I don't think it has changed much for years. I suspect the problem occurs when you try to control the cursor in large moves across the screen the same way you make smaller moves, by watching to see how it responds. That's not how Mac users do it, AFAIK, certainly not how I do it. A quick flick and return moves the cursor right across the screen to the approximate area of interest, leaving the mouse in the place it started, and only then do you use visual feedback to position the cursor precisely. For shorter distances, I seem to move the mouse in a sort of circle, starting faster in the desired direction then slowing down to finish the fine adjustment. These flicks take only a fraction of a second to do.

The same flick gestures can also be used to reposition the mouse on the desk while leaving the cursor in about the same place on the screen. I also do pick up and replace the mouse for this. But my forearm always remains resting stationary on the desk while I'm mousing. I would think all my mouse movements fit in a fixed three inch circle.

I always have acceleration ("tracking") set to maximum in System Prefs for this mode of mousing.

Last edited:
You say you move from iMacs to Macbooks said you always used a Mighty Mouse, have you attempted to use another mouse on them at all?

If you used a mouse with its own built in DPI control or a higher USB Polling rate (1000hz instead of 125hz) you might have less of a problem.

Never had a problem with this myself once the mouse preferences is set correctly. My only gripe is why Apple does not skew more of the tracking range towards the faster side.

Maybe OP's mouse is partially broken?

I moved to Mac from using Windows and never have had a problem with my iMac's mouse pointer speed etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom