How to export a single frame from iMovie ??

RecordablDVDfan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've got some HD footage I recorded and now loaded into imovie but I can see no way to simply save a frame as a bmp or jpg from it, anyone ?

I havent checked if its still available in '09, but in iMovie '08 you could skim to the frame you want to capture, secondary-click and there is an option for "Add still frame to project" or similar

You could then secondary-click on the frame it has captured and choose "show in finder" to access a file copy of the image (which i recall is saved somewhere within the iMovie project's package file)

Last edited:
Yep you can still do this with the 09 version but then when you export 'movie to image sequence' you get umpteen still frames, only want the one !

You dont want to export anything

Just capture the still image, then click on the image that it adds and reveal in finder to show you where it has stored the .jpg file for that frame capture

Just tried it on my iMovie '09 and it worked

Cracker says, "Just capture the still image".

How? You don't say HOW to capture the still image. Do you mean a standard screen capture? The resolution won't be high enough. When I search in iMovie for 'capture' I get no response.

I was proficient at earlier versions of iMovie, but I gotta say... iMovie 09 sucks. It is not intuitively obviously how I'm supposed to get most things done...

Yes cracker explain please how ? Just got a new top spec mac mini so I'm ready for your answer !

Another way other than 'capturing' a frame is as follows:

1. Go to the Share menu, and choose "Export using Quick-time...". In that window, choose the menu option, "Movie to Image Sequence."

2. Once you have this selected, you can choose among the preset export options or you can click the "Options" button and choose your own image type, frame rate, and even compression settings specific to your image format. (The compression settings are found by clicking the next "Options" button.)

3. Go ahead and click "Save" and head on over to your destination folder. There you will find one or more images with the image name you gave and a number.

It is slightly pesky to have to do this for each photo, but its the only way I could find.

Cracker says, "Just capture the still image".

How? You don't say HOW to capture the still image. Do you mean a standard screen capture? The resolution won't be high enough. When I search in iMovie for 'capture' I get no response.

I was proficient at earlier versions of iMovie, but I gotta say... iMovie 09 sucks. It is not intuitively obviously how I'm supposed to get most things done...

As I said above...

I havent checked if its still available in '09, but in iMovie '08 you could skim to the frame you want to capture, secondary-click and there is an option for "Add still frame to project" or similar

You could then secondary-click on the frame it has captured and choose "show in finder" to access a file copy of the image (which i recall is saved somewhere within the iMovie project's package file)

In iMovie '09 when you right-click the option is called "Add Freeze Frame"

So just do that, then right-click on the still frame it adds and choose reveal in finder

Dont see whats so hard about that!

Hi

You're all over complicating this!

Just hover over the timeline until the frame you want is being displayed, then right click and choose 'Add Still Frame to Project'. It will append your capture to the end of the project.

Steve

Ha - so you did... I missed that.

I don't understand what the confusion is about then. Your initial suggestion was perfectly concise!

I don't understand what the confusion is about then.
Really? It's pretty obvious to me that the "confusion" comes about from people not bothering to read the thread fully. Not the first time, won't be the last, but it ain't no mystery. :D

Really? It's pretty obvious to me that the "confusion" comes about from people not bothering to read the thread fully. Not the first time, won't be the last, but it ain't no mystery. :D
Well I have read all the posts so ...

In the past I was able to capture single frames as a jpg, and sometimes every frame of a clip as a jpg (often too many for my needs)........

But now with QT Version 10.0 (113) + iMovie 09 8.0.6 821 + Aperture 3.0.2 I have lost the ability to capture (and export) a single video frame.

There must be a simple solution out there somewhere. Please describe a simple process that also has an option for saving using a non right click (control?) mouse. A right click currently hides the screen.

Hold down the control key then if you have a non right click mouse ;-) Just like you have to do all across the operating system if you have a non right click mouse...

Come on peoples this is not rocket science :) Where ever you are just right click and select add still frame to project....

Hold down the control key then if you have a non right click mouse ;-) Just like you have to do all across the operating system if you have a non right click mouse...

Come on peoples this is not rocket science :) Where ever you are just right click and select add still frame to project....
Thank you. This adds a single still frame to the project. This frame can then be revealed in the finder, exported and tweaked.

Using OSX 10.6.3 what command produces the complete string of still pictures so that they can be analysed one by one please?

You can export using quicktime as a still image sequence...I do that to make animated gifs....Just set the frame rate you want to export as and off you go....Then again if you want to analyse, just zoom in on the timeline in iMovie to a single frame level and step through it one by one....

You can export using quicktime as a still image sequence...I do that to make animated gifs....Just set the frame rate you want to export as and off you go....Then again if you want to analyse, just zoom in on the timeline in iMovie to a single frame level and step through it one by one....
Thanks. The single still picture problem is solved.

But in QT Version 10.0 (113) there is no export command.

And I have yet to find the frame rate command.

The movie that I am playing with is from a Casio Exilim camera in AVI format. Is that the problem?

I didn't know iMovie could handle AVI...Export/Share same thing really....just do the bit called using quicktime...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom