The official LG PQ6000 Plasma thread

Member 300569

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We value feedback from our customers and your opinions will help us to improve our products and services to you.
If you own the LG PQ6000 TV, please take our quick survey by clicking <a href="http://www.avforums.com/forums/survey.php?do=take&sid=35" target="_self">here</a>.

[survey=35]185[/survey]

Introducing LG's latest Plasma TV, the PQ6000. It's HD Ready with built in Digital Freeview, 3 x HDMI and USB and will be available in 42" and 50".
42pq6000_1236086186174_m.jpg

Its key features include:

Picture:
&#8226; HD Ready
&#8226; Dual XD Engine
&#8226; Resolution: 1024 x 768
&#8226; Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 2,000,000:1
&#8226; Brightness: 1,500cd/m2
&#8226; Intelligent Sensor II
&#8226; 24p Real Cinema
&#8226; AV Mode (Cinema, Sport, Game)
&#8226; Expert Mode

Sound:
&#8226; Invisible Speakers
&#8226; Clear Voice II
&#8226; 2 Way 4 Speakers (10W x 10W)
&#8226; SRS TruSurround XT

Connectivity:
&#8226; 3 x HDMI
&#8226; USB 2.0 (JPEG / MP3 / DivX SD)
&#8226; 2 x Scart (1 x Full)
&#8226; Component
&#8226; PC Input
&#8226; Composite
&#8226; S-Video

The TV has already received the thumbs up from Cnet's Crave who highlight the design and Eco mode on the TV.

We will reveal more information and images in due course. What are your thoughts so far?

Last edited:
I know.

Am looking to buy a new TV on Thursday, and this seems to tick all the boxes

(low energy usage, nice design, plenty of inputs and cheap - ok not 1080p which i hesitate on for a set this big but you cant have it all i guess)

i would just like a few people on here who have played with it and are knowledgeable to give some feedback :).

My mate has a 42 inch pioneer plasma a couple of generations old. That too is not full HD but is awesome pic quality and am hoping being 2 years newer this one will compete with it.

My main thoughts/Q's

How does this cope with reflections, as it will be facing a marine fishtank OR a window, depending on how i arrange my room

how does it cope with fast action pan/scan on Hi Def stuff - my 32inch set struggles with being jerky

has the image retention been improved over lasy years model which seemed to have a niggle here, tho some have said its a minor issue.

how is the chroma sampling? my housemates 3 or 4 year old Phillips low def 37 inch plasma struggles terribly with this.

i assume being plasma the blacks will be stunning as usual.

Last edited:
Hi

this is VERY prelim, and just to make clear i am no expert.

My lodger has just moved out and has taken his 37 inch lowdef plasma with him so i have purchased the 42PQ6000 for £600 from Richer Sounds.

its early days, as the set has been on for all of 3 hrs but so far my thoughts are.

+great built in speakers.
+decent blacks better than any LCD i have used tho not pioneer levels..
+love the design of the panel.
+The swivel base is a god send for me and was dead easy to fit.
+nice gui
+superb gaming screen for xbox 360.
+all divx files i tried looked and played really well.

only minor niggles so far...

-there IS some image retention for a few seconds when you go from a bright screen such as a pc toolbar to a black screen.
Too early to be sure but i am thinking this wont be an issue.

-Perhaps slighly worse reflections off the screen than my lcd but that is where the swivel base comes in, and has solved my problem.

I cant really judge the image quality so far, as plasmas improve after 1st 100hrs or so of use, but even so at this early time i am impressed with the image quality certainly for the money. It is better than both my 32 inch LCD and knocks socks off my mates 4 year old 37 inch plasma with NO chroma issues i can see, nice skin tones etc and no blurring etc that you can get with LCD's. So far I have watched Sky+ which was ok, part of Bourne Supremacy HDDVD which was very nice and part of LOTR on DVD which was nice too, and a 350mb Divx rip of medium (using the pc, should have tried the memory slot) this was also good.

of all the above the sky+ was the worst (to be expected) but was still ok.

I fired up PGR IV on the xbox this morning, using compnent, 1 word.... Superb!. It was far far better than on my gaming LCD in my bedroom, blacks are better, nice to have NO blurring what so ever - my LCD struggles on occasion.

From what i can tell, xbox360 looks as good as on my mates Kuro and that is saying something.

The built in tuner picked up no channels :eek: but i havent tested the aerial point and suspect perhaps that is at fault, must borrow a freeview box am sure it will be fine. *update, yep its my antenna, still to try the inbuilt tuner tho*

---------
So in conclusion, yes, its not full HD, yes its not *quite* as good blacks as the Kuro but with what has to be close to best in class built in sound, looks stunning when it is off as well, at this price its hard not to be impressed.

am not a 10/10 kind of guy as nothing is perfect, however if your budget is £600 this HAS to be on your short list.
----------

Still to do

hook up surround sound.

fine tune the settings (so far just put on medium energy saving and vivid setting - tho vivid is WAY too bright without energy saving switched on).

hope this helps someone and will add to it, but thought i would post as there is so little about this set.

I did find myself knowing more about this set than a few of the guys in the shop, tho i still do not think the salesman believed me that it was an advertised energy usage average of less than 200W. He told me it was almost 4X that of the LG LCD and not an environmental choice! I guess they do have a lot of sets to get confused over however.

Last edited:
well I picked it up today from Richer Sounds in Sheffield, I got it for £659 with a 5 year warranty,and all home and up and running..

First Impressions at home,
Excellent and easy to setup, all up and running within a few minutes.
Picture Quality is absolutely fanatastic, a huge improvement over my 32" LCD.
Am running on low settings to run in for a while, have hooked up my Sony DVD home theatre system and ran Star Wars Return of the Sith, Stunning is the only word I can use, No IR problems as of yet, although I have connected the Wii, we havent used it yet. Now on the shopping list is a PS3...

SD Freeview is good. Like I said a huge improvement over my LCD, which is now relegated to bedroom duties LOL.......
I will review better once a few days more usuage has gone past. I hope this helps anybody thinking of this Plasma.

UPDATE.................................................

the more I watch the LG set, the more I like it. after my 32"LCD my eyes used to feel quite tired, but after watching the LG, my eyes are ok, now maybe the extra jump in screen size may help, but the overall picture qualitl, must also be playing a bigger part. I have not still not seen any IR yet. I have watched DVDs and again they look amazing. PS3 is on the shopping list, so the only console I have is a wii via the scart, so it prob wont look the best, but waiting til I have had the set a while before I use the Wii..

Hi.
I do believe this is my first post, so be gentle with me! Let me say I am no expert, just your average bloke who likes a big telly at home - I mainly watch Freeview and upscaled DVD/DIVx via HDMI and am not too bothered about FullHD. So that's me for you!!
I have last years 42PG6000 which I am more than chuffed with for my SD needs (even compared to the much lauded Panasonics) and have recommended them to my family who now have LG TVs running with no problems at all. I haven't had any problem with IR and have no issues with the black levels as some have reported. Also (and very important too) they look good on your wall/in your lounge and are very easy to use...

But, I have always had a niggle that I should've got a 50", the 50PQ6000 has a couple of features that are making me think uhmmmmm...

Couple of things I have a question on.

1) The new PQ6000 models play DIVx files through the USB port, has anyone actually used this function? Veiws please?
2) Last years PG6000 only had a standby button, do the PQ6000 models have a mechanical off switch which turns the set completely off?
3) Will LG be doing FreeSat Plasma?
4) Does anyone wanna buy a much loved 5 month old 42PG6000? (Joke!)

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

I have used the usb port to play movies and yes it works a treat, obviously depends on quality of divx file, but I can say it works as it shouild, as for the off switch, I havent looked as I leave on standby or switch off socket..

I am very pleased with the PG6000, 42" was big enough for me....But its an excellent choice.

Couple of things I have a question on.

1) The new PQ6000 models play DIVx files through the USB port, has anyone actually used this function? Veiws please?
2) Last years PG6000 only had a standby button, do the PQ6000 models have a mechanical off switch which turns the set completely off?
3) Will LG be doing FreeSat Plasma?
4) Does anyone wanna buy a much loved 5 month old 42PG6000? (Joke!)

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Welcome to the forums :smashin:

I don't have a PQ6000 (I also have a PG6000, the black levels aren't great for plasma, but they are better than LCD) but I think I can answer your 3rd question, LG have done a deal with freesat and I think that you get freesat on the PS series...but now I look I can't see anything which says that it does...

Does anyone know if there will be a 32" version of this tv? (32PQ6000?)

I popped into Richer Sounds yesterday in an attempt to buy a 32PG6000 only to find they don't stock it any more. The sales assistant told me that the PG range is now being replaced by the PQ range and that there will be a 32" version available at the end of April/early March ... but I can't find any information about it at all.

So should I be desperately be trying to find a 32PG6000 before 32" plasmas disappear forever or can I sit back and wait for the successor?

There isn't going to be a 32PQ6000 as far as I know, the 32PG6000 was a hot seller in some places but they didn't stock it at major places like Currys, PC World, Dixons or Comet which is where a decent part of this countries market comes from at least

I popped into Richer Sounds yesterday in an attempt to buy a 32PG6000 only to find they don't stock it any more. The sales assistant told me that the PG range is now being replaced by the PQ range and that there will be a 32" version available at the end of April/early March ... but I can't find any information about it at all.

So should I be desperately be trying to find a 32PG6000 before 32" plasmas disappear forever or can I sit back and wait for the successor?

I will stick my neck out and say that the LG 32” plasma was most probable a one off adventure. I cannot see any of the manufactures putting effort into them; LED seems to be the way forward for 32” at the moment. Have a look at LED compared against LCD and plasma. You will be surprised how good they are compared to LCD and even smaller plasmas.

Sadly I can confirm there won't be a 32" Plasma from LG this year. LG LCD will range from 19" to 47" in the UK with 42", 50" and 60" sizes available in Plasma technology.

I will stick my neck out and say that the LG 32” plasma was most probable a one off adventure. I cannot see any of the manufactures putting effort into them; LED seems to be the way forward for 32” at the moment. Have a look at LED compared against LCD and plasma. You will be surprised how good they are compared to LCD and even smaller plasmas.

Presumably you mean LED backlit LCD's?

I got in touch with LG to ask the same question (will there be a 32PQ6000?) and this is the reply they sent.

Thank you for your email.

We do not at present have any information as to the planned release of this model in the UK. We would respectfully request that you check our website LG Electronics and Appliances : LG UK periodically for any updates on release dates of our products.

Best regards,
LG Electronics UK Helpdesk
----------------------------------
LG Customer Services
UK: 0844 847 1400 Ireland: 0818 27 6954
Mon-Fri 9am to 8pm Sat 9am-6pm
They appear to be implying that there will be a 32PQ6000 but as yet have no clue as to when (if at all) it will be released in the UK.

I got in touch with LG to ask the same question (will there be a 32PQ6000?) and this is the reply they sent.

They appear to be implying that there will be a 32PQ6000 but as yet have no clue as to when (if at all) it will be released in the UK.

it's the same as what Panasonic said to many emails when there was rumours surrounding a 32" plasma from them, it wont come, it's LGs way of saying "we'll get you checking our website enough so that you end up getting an LG...but there's not going to be a new 32" plasma"

...it's LGs way of saying "we'll get you checking our website enough so that you end up getting an LG...but there's not going to be a new 32" plasma"

ha ha, your interpretation of their reply makes far more sense!

stein, the answer quoted below is the correct answer, but I would guess that you don't know that George Mead is the UK Marketing Manager for LG.

Cheers,

Martin.

Sadly I can confirm there won't be a 32" Plasma from LG this year. LG LCD will range from 19" to 47" in the UK with 42", 50" and 60" sizes available in Plasma technology.

You are quite correct, I didn't know that ... but do now, thanks! :thumbsup:

Now I'll get back to trying to find somewhere that still stocks the 32PG6000 then... ;)

Wasn't sure if they were still doing it since they've removed it from display in the two mega-huge-hyper-markets in York, so ta very much for the heads up on Tesco.

Hmm, question: is the PQ6000 series better than the Pana X10 range?

Pros seem to be:

-Better design (one sheet of glass, very slick looking)
-More functions (Divx playback, TruMotion 100Hz among others)
-Way more adjustments (Expert modes for ISF calibration, gamma controls etc.)

Possible cons (or Pros for the Pana) seem to be (to me):

-Reliability/Quality (pretty hard to beat Panas track record)
-Black levels + shadow detail (not sure how good the new LGs are in this regard)
-Missing Pana like "aspect" zoom mode for 4:3 SD content although it has plenty of zoom modes*
-Image Retention (still that bad?)

*the PQ6000 doesn't have a zoom mode that stretches only the outer parts of the picture and leaves the middle (where normally the faces are) pretty much untouched, right?

Can anyone who has this LG or the Panny or both (or has compared them with a friends' TV) comment on the possible cons I listed here?

I am currently thinking of buying one of these 2 units and the LG looks very tempting since it has way more features and especially the design and the IFC (that's basically what TruMotion 100Hz means right) that the Panny is missing.

Then on the other hand I always had good experiences with Panasonic in the past and they have a bit of a better track record, plus I'm not so sure about the LGs black levels/shadow detail which have been one of their weak spots in recent years as well as their past units were much more prone to image retention than PDPs of other manufacturers, so I'm kind of struggling with the decision (furthermore both cost absolutely the same which doesn't make it easier).

What about 24p? I read the PQ6000 does a 3:3 pulldown, so 24p should be judder free - is this true? Also can the TruMotion/IFC be activated during 24p playback and how good is that algorythm regarding creation of unwanted artifacts and also how good does it look when this mode is enabled (does it have a low/high setting)?

Many questions/doubts/uncertainties...
So far I could only see the X10 in the flesh, otherwise I would have tried to dissipate some of my doubt myself while trying both units 1st hand, unfortunately so far I couldn't and since I'm sure there are a few out there who are asking themselves the same questions I thought I'd try asking some people who have been in the same position or have the set at home.

TIA and have a great week everyone! :)

I posted the other day my personal results after having a look at the nee LG PS, PQ in both 3000 and 6000, also had a very good look at the Panasonic X10 because this was the set I was thinking of getting.

In a nut shell the Panasonic should stick to what they are good at and forget about budget sets, the X10 is like plasma sets used to be; par black levels and ugly looking.

In the end I opted for the 50” PQ3000, due to it going into the bedroom it looks fine. At £699 with 5 years warranty well worth it. Both 50” plasmas I have will be viewed at a distance over 12 feet so 1080p is not of real benefit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom