The Official LG PS8000 Plasma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 300569

Prominent Member
Reaction score
We value feedback from our customers and your opinions will help us to improve our products and services to you.

If you own the LG PS8000 TV, please take our quick survey by clicking <a href="http://www.avforums.com/forums/survey.php?do=take&sid=36" target="_self">here</a>.

[survey=36]180[/survey]

PS8000 HD Ready 1080p Plasma TV series (60- and 50-inch)

The PS8000 series features a unique single-layer design that gives the appearance of a pane of glass.

3448005384_b29ae111c3.jpg

3448006672_367b9ed253.jpg

3448008366_e7c9083d05.jpg

3285078612_d773589f3a_m.jpg

You can also find images in our Flickr sets.

Key features include:

<!-- CLOSE PARA 81 -->· HD Ready 1080p

<!-- CLOSE PARA 82 -->· THX Display Certification

<!-- CLOSE PARA 83 -->· THX Media Director

<!-- CLOSE PARA 84 -->· 600Hz Smooth Motion (sub-field driving)

<!-- CLOSE PARA 85 -->· 4 HDMI version 1.3 with Deep Colour

<!-- CLOSE PARA 86 -->· ISFccc ready

<!-- CLOSE PARA 87 -->· USB 2.0 for access to digital music and photos (JPEG / MP3 Playback)

<!-- CLOSE PARA 88 -->· LG SimpLink&#8482; Connectivity

<!-- CLOSE PARA 89 -->· Smart Energy Saving

<!-- CLOSE PARA 90 -->· LG Core Technologies

<!-- CLOSE PARA 91 -->· Super Bright Panel

Looking forward to getting your opinions on this one, more details as and when available.

H :)

Last edited:
Call me old fashioned, but I like this conventional looking design.

I'm looking forward to seeing more detail about this model.
Encouraging to see THX certification now included for the UK market, but I'm not so sure about THX Media Director - metadata encoded on (future) discs may interfere with user settings - it will be interesting to see how this works (AV Forum videos has some coverage of the technology).

I just hope that the availability of the 60" is improved - trying to locate the current model (60PG7000) has proven to be very frustrating with no dealers apparently stocking it, some listing it as available soon, and then the item disappears from their website? Maybe this is just as well with the PS8000 in the wings - lets hope for some parity in the price.

For those looking for a little more information, check out the CES2009 LG Plasma announcement on the LG Blog.

Hi,

Is LG bringing out any 46" plasmas this year?

Suave!

any improvement in black levels and with Image retention in these new models? and when are we likely to see these in stores/for sale?

there looking good though from what you have mentioned so far

Swedish test review.

Type: Plasma
• Size: 50"
• Resolution: 1920x1080
• Contrast: 2,000,000:1
• ANSI Contrast: 1500:1
• Receiver: DVB-T MPEG4
• HDMI: 4x (ver. 1,3)
• Measures: 1228x795x79 mm
• Weight: 39 kg
• Price: 16 900 SEK

I like :thumbsup:

Hi, Does anyone know if these are availible anywhera at all yet. My current TV has been sold by the wife on ebay and being collected today and My main choice of KURO 5090 has been put on hold once I have seen this. he 60 inch would be my choice. Just can't find one. Can you help please.

Thanks

Hi, Does anyone know if these are availible anywhera at all yet. My current TV has been sold by the wife on ebay and being collected today and My main choice of KURO 5090 has been put on hold once I have seen this. he 60 inch would be my choice. Just can't find one. Can you help please.

Thanks

They are out in late March early April.

Any ideas how much this is going to cost?

I am wondering if this thing can decode x264 via usb (since divx is just crap considering quality) and can I use bluetooth to route the audio of my notebook to the tv?

Hi,

Is LG bringing out any 46" plasmas this year?

Suave!

Orginal plans were to bring a 46" Plasma in but the latest situation is LG will focus on LCD business up to 47" and Plasma from 50" up (even though there are 42" Plasma in the 09 lineup)

Do you think 46" plasma would be good solution for people believing that 50" is too big but 42" too small? Does 47" LCD not suffice?

Do you think 46" plasma would be good solution for people believing that 50" is too big but 42" too small? Does 47" LCD not suffice?

I know that a lot of people, myself included, honestly believe that plasma is way ahead of LCD for all round quality of picture and, as such, I believe that you need to have a 46" as an ideal size between 42" and 50". Personally, I would seriously consider a 46" plasma but definitely not an LCD - that's my penny's worth anyway. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

lol near 30 times higher than kuro 9g and higher than last year lcd models with CCFL lamps. good job LGE :clap:

Sorry for my noobness but are you saying the LG has better black levels than the Pioneer 9G or worse?

If its better maybe this is why Pioneer have pulled out of the game because they could no longer offer superior quality if others (LG) are catching up?

I hope LG dont start to hike up their prices when the main selling point is good value for money!! You keep up the good work providing great value big screens to those of us that dont drive ferraris!! ;)

Kicking off the things I DO have an issue with, though, is image retention. A once common problem with plasma technology, LG now seems to be the only big plasma brand that really struggles with this issue. For instance, as the bright white Sony and blue Blu-ray logos that make up my Blu-ray player's &#8216;screen saver' disappeared from the screen as a disc started to play, both logos remained visible as shadowy ghosts for some seconds over the dark images that opened the disc.

I was really hoping LG had started to address image retention as a big issue and would of thought something would of been in place to combat this plague of plasmas. I have an LG with screen burn and from the sound of the review the options in place to combat this are nothing more than what i already have in my set to try and rid image retention afterwards. Whitewash etc... Nothing new here then.

If i were LG i would buy a top end pioneer, take it apart see how it does its little tricks... cough cough... ;)

Last edited:
Hi All,

At around £1000-£1100, I think this set will offer really great value - I really congratulate LG for pushing the boundary as much as they possibly could within the market segment they are targeting and doing so in such a competitive manner. There are very difficult times and LG has taken that into account and come up with a great balance between features/performance, desirability and cost, I really hope it receives more positive reviews and sells well.

Suave!

Looks good...so, who wants to buy me one eh? :D

I've read a review which says that the blacks meet the Panasonic PZ800s blacks, which are darn good! :smashin: Based on LGs improvement over the last few years, and considering that my 32PG6000 holds a few advantages over my 37PX80, I would say that we're on for a winner here! And isn't the 50" version supposed to be under £1k, that's one of the things which have been mentioned...if only I had that much money floating around :rotfl:

Also mentioned in the review I read was that IR was there in the first few days, but after a few days of testing not even a white block on a black screen could do anything more than what we see on the more resistant sets. I personally don't think it's as big an issue as made out, I use my 32PG6000 for gaming and I get a little IR, but it washes away in seconds. And there wont be any 46" plasmas or a 42" 1080p plasma

I'm a little disappointed to read that this year's models still suffer from the dreaded image retention. I personally have a real issue with this as I believe this problem should have been dealt with. In terms of the black levels, where do they get the 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio from? It certainly isn't from the darker end because of a measurement of 0.08 is true then this is pretty average at best. Fair enough, LG have done incredibly well to keep the cost of this set down and the features are incredible but still, I don't believe enough improvements have been made over the 2008 models according to some reviews. If they are true, then here are the main issues:

Still suffers from severe image retention
No native 24p support
Mediocre black levels
Ludicrously high CR claim

On the positive though we have:

Cost
THX certification
Bluetooth
USB connectivity with Divx, music and picture capabilities
Unlimited picture options
Absolutely stunning design

If you plan to game a lot or use this TV as a PC then be warned that you need to be very careful with how you use this set. Can LG Blog confirm that the 'Game' mode has been removed from the 2009 models?

@vipergrm, the 2,000,000:1 contrast is measured effectively when the tv is off, thus is limitless, unmeasureable, they could put 5,000,000:1 to be even more impressive.
all manufacturer's are at it..

@vipergrm, the 2,000,000:1 contrast is measured effectively when the tv is off, thus is limitless, unmeasureable, they could put 5,000,000:1 to be even more impressive.
all manufacturer's are at it..

Yeah, I know they are. I'm not saying that LG are any worse than the others. What I am saying is, collectively, this is so misleading for the consumer that there should be some kind of law against it. 2,000,000:1 is quite obviously totally unrealistic.

Yeah, I know they are. I'm not saying that LG are any worse than the others. What I am saying is, collectively, this is so misleading for the consumer that there should be some kind of law against it. 2,000,000:1 is quite obviously totally unrealistic.

To be fair Panasonic are claiming the same on theirs

and samsung, and sony, and philips,etc,etc,etc....they're all at it.

It seems to work too, people get attracted to the numbers even if they actually go against how the set actually performs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom