The Official LG PJ350 Plasma Thread

Get in quick, Dixons pricematched it a few days ago & it still stands....
LG 42PJ350 42" HD Ready Plasma TV at low prices | Dixons

I'm dithering here......
I'm sure they'll be good deals up to the World Cup.....Hmmnnnnn

Thanks for that - just ordered one - and also found a 2% discount code on the web - "MVC2" so got it for £397.82 delivered. And a chance to win 2 tickets to the World Cup Final!!

Edit 7/5 - Gone up today to £449 on Dixons!

Last edited:
Thanks for that - just ordered one - and also found a 2% discount code on the web - "MVC2" so got it for £397.82 delivered. And a chance to win 2 tickets to the World Cup Final!!

Let us know how you get on with it.
I have a feeling I'll still be dithering by early next week !!!

Seems that the Argos site could do with some TLC as they also claim to be offering FREE HOME DELIVERY on all TV's yet want to take £5.99 still!!:rotfl:

Seems that the Argos site could do with some TLC as they also claim to be offering FREE HOME DELIVERY on all TV's yet want to take £5.99 still!!:rotfl:
It seems Dixons price matched Argos including the £5.95 deliver charge so showing as £405.94 with free delivery. Dixons will deliver in 3+ days - had option for Sunday but will be out for part of the day, so it's coming Monday - will let you know what I think when I've got it set-up.

Just to answer my own question. Had a look at both screens last night.
The PJ350 does NOT play movies despite what LG told me via customer service. The PJ550 does play movies & MKV as a couple of people have already pointed out.

Interestingly the PJ350 had a low firmware of 3.14 on it.....

Now, to plasma or to LCD, that is the question

Now, to plasma or to LCD, that is the question

Ah, that's a question you'll have fun with, in the simplest terms (I'd write more but I'm a bit pushed for time) you'll get better black levels and depth of picture on the plasmas, as well as better motion handling without any trumotion systems which have side effects. You'll also get better viewing angles if that's a problem and they're generally considered better in a room with relatively little ambient light compared to LCDs which are better suited to brightly lit rooms. The problem with plasmas is that they suffer from image retention, and that's possibly one of the biggest problems for many, so long gaming sessions aren't recommended, as well as long periods of watching news channels and things like that. They also have a tendency to look washed out in brighter rooms.

LCDs are basically the opposite, problems with black levels and contrast, but this can be covered in bright rooms (like in stores), but they do get washed out in dimmer lighting. They have the usual motion problems of LCD, although that problem is being reduced a lot, the viewing angles are smaller than on plasmas, but of course if you view it straight on it doesn't matter.

I think that plasma technology is largely thought to be the one which offers the best picture quality by a lot of the experts, the problem most people face are practical ones, such as having an issue with image retention or watching in a bright room where it's not going to look its best.

do you know how to activate service mode for this model???
There are a few things to try. Probably dependent on what firmware you are on.
1.Press and Hold OK button on remote as well as TV panel at the same time for a few minutes. Then enter 0000 as the password.

To save the changes press OK in Remote.

2. I/R Hack - http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack - Worked for me (I used a Nokia N73 on a LH2000 )
3. If the firmware has service mode locked then you could downgrade the firmware ( if you can find it on the net) and unlock that way.

Look forward to your feedback.

I picked this TV up from Argos whilst it was still at the bargain price of £399.99 (just got up to £570) and i must say i am absolutely one hundred percent happy so far. The picture through the HDMI (Xbox 360 and LG upscaling dvd player) is immense. Even relatively low quality divx avi files look crisp and sharp, however the TV actually does a better job of upscaling than the dvd player. The SD signal through the inbuilt freeview tuner is fine, and although not amazing the picture is nice and crisp, with no visible artifacts.

My only real gripe with this tv is the fact it doesn't have a headphone socket, which if like me, you only have a standard hi fi to hook it up to isn't the best. This is fine though as easily connected through av out on dvd/xbox. Sound is nice and robust through the tv speakers, however as you would expect lacks any real depth and bass.

Comes highly reccomended!

Dixons delivered yesterday - gave me a 4 hour slot and the driver rang 20 minutes before to say he was on his way - very impressed.

Set-up very easy, and auto scan found 88 DTV channels, which is good considering I've only got a loft aerial and there's a splitter on the down aerial lead.

Picture quality excellent on Freeview; also tried connecting my Toshiba laptop through HDMI and playing some MKV files which displayed in good HD quality.

Still playing with the picture settings - nice feature of being able to save profiles in 2 'Expert' slots as my ideal viewing is very different from my wife's - probably something to do with me being partially colour blind!

Can confirm that the USB slot will only show jpeg pictures and play MP3 files - no option for movies. I've a Transcend 320gb USB portable disk drive that takes its power from the USB and it had no problems accessing and playing the 16gig of music on that.

Thoroughly recommend this set.

interesting thread. I recently bought a LG42PJ350 and mine plays avi files but not MKVs, even though it states on LG's website that it plays MKVs.

This is a great TV my only gripe is that I've only had it for 3 weeks and I watch BBC World News on it for around an hour every morning - yesterday I discovered the BBC logo had burned-in to the screen. Pretty annoyed after only a few hours of use. I'm hoping it'll disappear over time, I'm now watching the BBC with brightness and contrast right down and zoomed in to avoid making it worse. Anyone else have experience of IR or Burn-in like this?

you're going to get IR after having it on screen for an hour, in particular the BBC news stuff because it's quite bright, but I watch BBC news on my PG6000 for an hour every morning and although I get IR it always clears up quickly. You just need to have some kind of viewing in between (ie during the day/evening)

Cheers for reply. How long do you think the IR will take to disappear, or do you think it might be permanently damaged already? It's been there a three days now and seems to be fading.

It's hard to say, especially as I haven't been able to try out the new models to test for it, run the white wash for a bit, maybe 30 minutes, and see if anything's happened, if not then just don't watch BBC news for a couple of days, or use the zoom to get past the graphics on screen, and see if it fades, it should do.

Thanks, I'll try the whitewash. Do you, or anyone else reading, recommend using the orbiter setting for the first couple of hundred hours of viewing to help prevent any further IR?

I use the orbiter setting all the time, and have done since day 1, to be honest it doesn't do much difference, but for small graphics (like a lot of TV logos) it's pretty good. You might see the screen hop occasionally to start with but you wont see it after a little while.

interesting thread. I recently bought a LG42PJ350 and mine plays avi files but not MKVs, even though it states on LG's website that it plays MKVs.
xVimfuegox - where are you based? And could you show the link for the website, I can only find that it supports photos and music on the LG website.

Would they have different spec for the same model number in different countries?

Now i know not 2 do long 360 sessions and leave the news one for long..

i just copped my 42 today...Love it

and got red dead redemption 2night @ 12 on pre order so it's even better

need my Hd cable box tho

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got one 3 days back and it's really a wonderful plasma. Never regretted, esp since here in Singapore, it plays all kinds of video such as avi and mkv!!

If only it plays mp4 as I do have some 720p videos in mp4 format but seriously I am very happy that avi and mkv is fully supported.

I now transferred all my movies to a 1500gb external 3.5" hdisk and connects to pj350 via usb without any trouble. No more thumbdrives!!:clap:

I just got one 3 days back and it's really a wonderful plasma. Never regretted, esp since here in Singapore, it plays all kinds of video such as avi and mkv!!

If only it plays mp4 as I do have some 720p videos in mp4 format but seriously I am very happy that avi and mkv is fully supported.

I now transferred all my movies to a 1500gb external 3.5" hdisk and connects to pj350 via usb without any trouble. No more thumbdrives!!:clap:

I have the same Tv hiro, i'm Italian but mine don't play DivX, Divx HD or MKV. It's only play jpeg and mp3 files. Please can u tell me wath is the firmware version of your plasma?

Tanks a lot!

I have the same Tv hiro, i'm Italian but mine don't play DivX, Divx HD or MKV. It's only play jpeg and mp3 files. Please can u tell me wath is the firmware version of your plasma?

Tanks a lot!

mine is V03.12.00

btw mine has a 'Divx HD' logo between the Protective skin glass and energy saving plus

believe it is firmware related. have u checked yours? think in ur country, lg wants you to buy the higher end version.

btw mine has a 'Divx HD' logo between the Protective skin glass and energy saving plus

believe it is firmware related. have u checked yours? think in ur country, lg wants you to buy the higher end version.

Tanks hiro, yes in italy probabily the Lg wanna place different product at different price, btw mine version is 3.14 .

Then all we need to downgrade my firmware from 3.14 to 3.12...

This is a god point of start!:thumbsup:

Tanks hiro, yes in italy probabily the Lg wanna place different product at different price, btw mine version is 3.14 .

Then all we need to downgrade my firmware from 3.14 to 3.12...

This is a god point of start!:thumbsup:

All the best my friend. Hope to hear good news from you!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom