LG TV Buyers Guide

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOW UPDATED FOR 2010

Hi,

There are a few general HD TV buyers guides around the forums so I thought I'd make one specifically for the LG TVs of this year (it's been an empty weekend :D)

This guide goes with the guide which has been made by LG themselves, it's found here - Find the Plasma or LCD TV thats right for you - LG TV guide Do use that as well, it will give you a bit more information in some areas and will give you some suggested models, but in my guide I explain some of the features included on the new models, what they mean, what they do and how they help in getting you the best possible picture. I'll also explain the differences between LCD and plasma technology, establish some of the myths about the technologies, and try and help you through the buying process as a whole.

This can be used as a general buying guide, but it does focus on the LG models, so be especially careful when considering TVs from other manufacturers, especially when looking at specs such as contrast ratios.

If there are any mistakes then please let me know, I've read through it and didn't see any but there might be some. As I have stressed in the guide, do check the features I list with the models to make sure I'm right (and if I'm not let me know!). And if there are any suggestions on how I could make it better then also post on here or let me know through PM.

Also note that 'SD' means 'Standard Definition' (so SD TV = Standard definition television) and 'HD' means 'High Definition' (so HD TV = High definition television). It is a long read but I have included a contents so you can jump to a specific section if you want. It's a PDF, so click the link to download.

Hope it helps somebody, if you have any further questions then please do ask on here :thumbsup:

Also note that this is one way of going about it, there are obviously other ways of narrowing down which TV is best for you, but this worked well for me and for those who I've suggested it to.

edited on 20th July - Backlight issues added as LCD con
edited on 21st July - Motion smearing added in motion handling of LCD con
edited on 25th July - Expand on features, added 'after buying'
edited on 27th July - Expanded/Corrected some features, added info on blu-ray and HDTV
edited on 1st Aug - Correction on 200Hz and LH4000 models, added link to FAQ
edited on 13th Sept - Added borderless range, info on sevice menus
edited on 23rd Sept - Corrected info on picture wizard, general gramma corrections
edited on 29th Sept - Added info on registering your TV
MAJOR UPDATE on 18th April – added 3D TV, freeviewHD and other new bits of technology, updated models for 2010
edited on 24th April - added passive 3D tech and OLED
edited on 4th Dec - Added PX990 to product list, small 2D-3D description

Attachments

• LG TV buyers guide 2010.pdf
    227.5 KB · Views: 1,336
Last edited:
This is a very comprehensive, useful and exacting guide there mate, well done. You must be very bored indeed!!!

love it! this really helps people seperate the marketing b/s you hear all the time from companies as big as LG and puts it into reality terms!

Thanks,

I've just added backlight uniformity as a potential LCD issue, that must have slipped my mind, if there's anything else missing and you notice then say and it will be added :thumbsup:

Hi, that is a superb guide. I've only just had the time to quickly skim read it right now, will properly read it after my work shift.

Specifically I was looking to see about smearing for LCD. I've recently purchased a 26LH2000 for gaming and can see a lot of smearing especially with the black/very dark colours. I may be able to exchange it (within next 4 days), so I'm just wondering does a 100hz tv fix this smearing?

If so then I'll try to get the 32LH5000. Didn't get it initially because I wanted a smaller tv. If you have actually talked about the black smearing in LCD in the guide then ignore me. I'll look again after work. Thanks

Black smearing is another thing, but I didn't mention it, I might add it on, but I thought it was largely removed from the LG LCDs. If you're gaming then I would recommend the LH7000 over the LH5000 though, both have 100Hz in 32" sizes, but the LH7000 has better blacks, which is good for gaming. As far as I know 100Hz might help smearing to an extent, not sure how much though seeing as the 100Hz Sonys and Samsungs still suffer a bit

EDIT: motion/black smearing has been added under the motion con of LCDs, thanks smally for pointing it out

Last edited:
That's great. I hadn't noticed the 32LH7000 before, unfortunately it's not available at the place I bought my 26LH2000, hopefully I will be allowed to exchange it for the 32LH5000 (obviously will have to pay a bit more). If not, oh well, I still really like LH2000.

Well the LH5000 is still an excellent set, well worth the dosh, I'm sure you'll be glad with the extra size as well, as soon as you adjust to it after a week (at the most).

Update: Just undergone a significant change, I added a front page (although that's a strong word for what it really is!) and an 'after buying' section where I go over image retention prevention (including why high brightness can be a good thing ;)), calibration and cables. I also added something about image retention earlier on in the guide (what it is) and added a few things under the 'features' section, input lag , pixel response time, interlaced/progressive and de-interlacing are now explained.

Again, if there are any issues with it (with anything; wrong facts, confusing wording, spelling etc...) then let me know, I don't plan to add anything else now, unless something pops into my head :D

Thanks again Monarch.
Tell me, how do you know so much about hdtv's?

Do you work in the industry?

No, I simply had to look for 2 TVs myself and I bought the TVs...initially I gave people on here my opinions while I waited for people to reply to my posts, then I didn't need to post anymore, but I carried on giving people my opinion, I've just picked stuff up and searched around in the depths of the town/surrounding towns here and seek out these TVs...I'm a bit wierd but have somehow retained my previous life :D

To be honest I feel like I should take it somewhere at times, I wont reveal my 'life situation' though...it might damage my reputation (can I call it that? :rolleyes:) ;):rotfl::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wont reveal my 'life situation' though...it might damage my reputation (can I call it that? :rolleyes:) ;):rotfl::rolleyes:
oooooooo, now i wanna know!! maybe you're a traffic warden!?... or.....Gordon Browns number 1 fan?!... ;)

oooooooo, now i wanna know!! maybe you're a traffic warden!?... or.....Gordon Browns number 1 fan?!... ;)

:rotfl: God no! I'm just the one you'd probably avoid in Currys :suicide:

:rotfl: God no! I'm just the one you'd probably avoid in Currys :suicide:

I doubt that! from your posts on here it seems like you are the last of a dying breed! (someone in a electrical superstore who actually knows something about TV's...!!?) ;)

Well I'm not in an electrical superstore, Gordon Brown's statistics would probably advise you to avoid me though ;)

p.s. I'm not a criminal, so don't worry about that...:rotfl:

Well I'm not in an electrical superstore, Gordon Brown's statistics would probably advise you to avoid me though ;)

p.s. I'm not a criminal, so don't worry about that...:rotfl:

Doh!! i give up! a politician? a traffic cop!? swine flu inventor!?!... 3 of the things I personally like to avoid! OR you work for Samsung and realise that LG really are the better brand!? hehe :D

Doh!! i give up! a politician? a traffic cop!? swine flu inventor!?!... 3 of the things I personally like to avoid! OR you work for Samsung and realise that LG really are the better brand!? hehe :D

swine flu inventor :rotfl:...no! that's not funny...:suicide::rolleyes:

No, I'm a long haired, slightly scruffy, music loving and 'untrustworthy looking' student with too much free time...a good one though...:lesson:

ahhhhhh, I can remember laying in bed till 1pm...... probably cos it was only today.... :D

It is great that you have taken the time to produce this.

I have only had a quick scan but found your descriptions most helpful. Well done and thank you for sharing you knowledge.

David Isom

Comments on my LG expereinces:

I purchased an LG42PG600 a while back as a budget set for our dining roomn. Whilst it is not a patch on Pioneer neither was its price. LG customer service is awful. Having said that I would buy again due to the value for money and it seems they are very forward thinking with new features.

George pointed out a few things to me which will be added tomorrow (probably), I'll be adding a bit more info on the divxHD and things like that, correcting the 600Hz subfield feature to the LG sets specifically and adding a bit more info about bluetooth, I might even add a couple of things about blu-ray if I'm bored! So if any of that is of interest then check up again in the next day or two and it should be added

Ok, the update has been done, there's a bit more info on blu-ray and HDTV at the end, and some of the features have been added too (bluetooth, divxHD) and the 600Hz description has been corrected as it was slightly out before,

thanks George for pointing them out, if there's anything else (or if there's any mistakes at all, grammar, spelling etc...then let me know)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom