The LG LM960V Smart Cinema 3D TV Thread *Part 2*

StickyWinkey said:
Absolutly,
I'd buy a passive samsung in a heartbeat.

@bluearthling
Check the videos above, Unfortuently this tv is pretty bad. It does depend on what your going to use it for though.

If your just using it for watching normal tv, it's great :smashin:

If your going to use it for Gaming (racing and FPS in particular) 24p 2D movies, 24p 3D movies, connected to a PC/laptop etc you'll have buyers remorse within minutes as this tv does not function at all under those circumstances.

The videos posted above truly reflect how bad this tv is at very basic function, playing movies :thumbsdow

I will say, if LG can fix these issues via software or any other methods, then I'll back this tv all the way and give it 2 big thums up... Until then, this is a very bad investment, much like the 980t was for a lot of people.

I really urge LG to fix this,
I'll even beta test the firmware for them if they want.

These 24p issues happen even if using an original blu ray disc in a Blu ray player directly connect to the 960? Right

Still no comments from LG, what a joke. A VERY bad joke.

These 24p issues happen even if using an original blu ray disc in a Blu ray player directly connect to the 960? Right

Most Definetely.
This was confirmed by Anbjorn who tested his blurays and his tv exibited the same fault, he then returned his set.
My videos posted above, are from bluray players commected directly to the tv via hdmi.

The 24p "trails" bug is not "content" specific, it's apparent on any/all content that you feed through this tv in 24p/24hz.

PC
2D Bluray
3D bluray
DVD
TV Series
Files such as (AVI/MKV/MPG etc)

Even If you use plex or any media player (MPC-HC/VLC etc) in 24p or a DVR in 24p all your material will be mashed up into pixel soup.

It's a huge bug, probably the most show stopping for me. I don't send £3000 on a tv, £120 per bluray box sets, £10,000 on a home cinema AVR/speakers etc (plus all the other extras) to sit back and watch movies with 3:2 pull down judder at 60hz :confused:

24p is a fantastic standard, its the is the movie "cinema" reference standard, and my home cinema has been built to take advantage of these features. This tv counteracts this and causes me to have to fall back to 60hz, which quite frankly shocking considering its labeled as a "cinema 3D" and "cinema screen" and all the advertising of "real cinema" and 24p support this tv sells its self on... It jut doesn't work :(

Last edited:
Still no comments from LG, what a joke. A VERY bad joke.

I'm taking their silence as conformation that this issue is apparent on all the 960 range.

If it wasn't they would have shot it down immediately.
Remember they did reply saying they had passed my findings to the head of the department back in this post:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/16932429-post1272.html

They know it's there, they know it exists.
They can test this all day every day on the millions of tv they have in show rooms, factories, offices etc etc etc. it's been confirmed alright... I gaurentuee it!

They know it's real, but admitting it will probably cause offical reports from reviewers and tech mags to pick up on it and give them bad publicity.

By sitting silent... it's just a few guys, on a tech forum, posting videos of certain issues with a certain tv.

If they can fix it in firmware they will slip it out as usual with no release notes, if not, I don't think we will hear anything else about this... Thy will hope that only the techies notice it, not the average user... What they forget though, is that most average users spending £3000 on a tv in the middle of a recession ain't your average users, they are usually the tech savvy!

Last edited:
You are of course 100% right Sticky, still gets on my nerves that they've barely responded to a single issue since these were launched. I don't think the issues with the lower models have been fixed via firmware and I'll be surprised if this one is fixed either.

I don't hate LG, I actually USED to have respect for them but now... well. That's pretty much out of the window.

You are of course 100% right Sticky, still gets on my nerves that they've barely responded to a single issue since these were launched. I don't think the issues with the lower models have been fixed via firmware and I'll be surprised if this one is fixed either.

I don't hate LG, I actually USED to have respect for them but now... well. That's pretty much out of the window.

Absolutly,
Mine is going back for a full refund soon... I'd rather have £3000 sitting in my bank spare while watchng an old 24p compatible tv, than be £3000 down with 960v in the sitting room that can't do the most basic of functions.

Selling this in a year or so (with these faults) will be very difficult when these issues become more widely known and OLED is pushed.

Unless it's fixed...
As then it could probably stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of the LEDs in the market prior to moving to OLED.

It won't be long before AVForums print their review, and as I am not the only owner/member on nere to have reported these issues, I'd be surprised if its not investigated in their review...

Then and only then (imo) will LG really make a decision either wat, if they are going to fix this or leave this set to die a dishonourable death like the 980.

If they do,
I'll never furnish them with cash on any product ever again, as this is very dishonest business practices.

StickyWinkey said:
Absolutly,
Mine is going back for a full refund soon... I'd rather have £3000 sitting in my bank spare while watchng an old 24p compatible tv, than be £3000 down with 960v in the sitting room that can't do the most basic of functions.

Selling this in a year or so (with these faults) will be very difficult when these issues become more widely known and OLED is pushed.

Unless it's fixed...
As then it could probably stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of the LEDs in the market prior to moving to OLED.

It won't be long before AVForums print their review, and as I am not the only owner/member on nere to have reported these issues, I'd be surprised if its not investigated in their review...

Then and only then (imo) will LG really make a decision either wat, if they are going to fix this or leave this set to die a dishonourable death like the 980.

If they do,
I'll never furnish them with cash on any product ever again, as this is very dishonest business practices.

It sounds like the 980 all over again, even if they can fix the 24p bug, banding seems to still be present. That's the single biggest thing that bugs me about my 980, the halos I can deal with as I rarely watch TV in pitch black anyway. Very disappointed again and have we seen the fix for all the LW series issues yet ?!?!

Been lurking for som months.
Were going to buy the 980 and heard about the 960 realease and thought I was going to wait for the price to drop on the 980. Then I ceept updating me with the facts om this site of the problem of the 980 and decided to wait for the 960. Now I understand LG is a bad path and have decided NOT to buy none of them.
Have been faithful to LG for many years (have 2 tv already and was going to buy a third) but all this info have made me to abandom the sinking ship.

Regards from Sweden

Been lurking for som months.
Were going to buy the 980 and heard about the 960 realease and thought I was going to wait for the price to drop on the 980. Then I ceept updating me with the facts om this site of the problem of the 980 and decided to wait for the 960. Now I understand LG is a bad path and have decided NOT to buy none of them.
Have been faithful to LG for many years (have 2 tv already and was going to buy a third) but all this info have made me to abandom the sinking ship.

Regards from Sweden
I agree it's a shame, I was also going to buy the 980 and then awaited and waited the 960... and now I'm keeping my £3K. To charge a premium for a product any supplier must get the quality right. There's no way they are going to challenge the incumbent supplier unless they fix the 960 - even then they have probably missed the biggest chance they had. As for Oled, I might wait... and wait again ... but not for the LG Oled. They would have to do something quite incredible to change my perception. To do something once is forgivable... twice within a year ... please don't insult our intelligence.

fredwatt said:
I agree it's a shame, I was also going to buy the 980 and then awaited and waited the 960... and now I'm keeping my £3K. To charge a premium for a product any supplier must get the quality right. There's no way they are going to challenge the incumbent supplier unless they fix the 960 - even then they have probably missed the biggest chance they had. As for Oled, I might wait... and wait again ... but not for the LG Oled. They would have to do something quite incredible to change my perception. To do something once is forgivable... twice within a year ... please don't insult our intelligence.

LG is suspected to have stolen technology from Samsung for their OLED tv according to news sites. If you follow the Samsung vs Apple lawsuits i think Samung will try to prevent LG to release the set if this is true.

Last year I was looking forward to the 980. Then the dimming zone issue started and when it was clear that LG would sell a inferior product to us in the EU compared to the rest of the world I abandoned that idea. I was still hoping for the next gen TV from LG because of the passive 3d and that was the 960. But now after waiting for 1/2 year LG is going to disappoint yet again. I think I could live with most issues Sticky reported except a input lag of 100ms+, grey black and disabling of local dimming in game mode. I don't understand how you can create a tv with 2 player mode yet fail to try to play some online games or racing games for that matter. This isn't the 1990's this is 2012 and LG should certainly know that online gaming and gaming at all for that matter is a quite big thing. Now it seems I have to give up on passive 3d and go with a VT50 or ES8000 while I wait a few years for OLED prices to come down.

Too many issues with the 960, and after last years 980 disaster, I'm going to jump ship and pick up a Panny. I just have to work out if it's going to be an ST, GT or VT since the difference between them is quite small.

Add another loss to the list... thnx Sticky for your testing!
As i personally do not care about 3D we'll be ordering the VT50...

Keep up the good work!
Cheers

Add another loss to the list... thnx Sticky for your testing!
As i personally do not care about 3D we'll be ordering the VT50...

Keep up the good work!
Cheers

Why the VT50 over the GT or ST. Dropping to GT you only miss the ultra black panel but it's also over 500 euro cheaper. Dropping to the ST you also lose the 2500 FDD and dual core (but dual core is mostly for the apps, which I can't see any reason to using anyway).

The ST is nearly half the price of the VT, and it still has a magnificant picture according to tests.

Just a small update and rectification from my end.
I have not returned my LM960 yet. But I most probably will when the 65" VT50 I have ordered arrives end of May.
Not many proper reviews of the VT50 yet, specially the 65"
The 50" VT50 gets quite good reviews though.

I am by no means an expert, I just see what I see.

I must also point out that the LM960 is not a bad TV.
For your everyday TV viewing it is most of the time briliant.
However for a high end tv with a quite high price tag we should expect that it is great in all modes.
And specially as it is adverticed pretty much as the ultimate cinema unit.

Also in all fairness I think it is not right to kick LG too hard just yet as these flaws was discovered quite short time ago. It would offcourse help LG if they atleast made some sort of reply as absolute silence will for sure do more harm.
In my opinion they should be given a couple of weeks to look into the problem and hopefully rectify it.

Anbjørn

Hey guys,

I agree with everything I've read so far in here, so many of us have been let down or burnt by LG at one time or another, and now they are doing it to us allmover again? During a recession they are literally stealing money from us by seelling faulty goods, not fixing them and openly stating that it will not be looked into further unless they get a large amount of complaints.

It's like a really bad relationship, only more expensive.

We need to get this information out to other sites and other users/owners.

I find it strange that not 1 single news/tech/review site has reported that this TV is broken? I find this really very strange... All these review sites are supposed to be here to supoort the buyer... so... Where are they now? Why are they not protecting buyers by reporting that the most expensive LCD TV of 2012 is infact a Lemon?

I don't put AVFourms in that catagory, as they are currently reviewing the 960, have already spoken to me and other users about these issues in their forums, and are going to test and report any flaws they find, much like they did with the 860.

They openly support users opinions and work with users to provide open and honest reviews.

If anyone can link to, post, tweet, blog, status update etc the main "bug post" it would really help get this out other users who could fall into the LG cycle of despair.

We need to rerun these sets, hold of buying these sets, stop letting them get away with selling us broken items and then discontinuing them so that we can't replace them amd have no leg to stand on as the price plumments (much lime my £3000 980T bought at the end of 2011 which dropped to apx £1500 or so now... It's surly fraudulent (if not very questionable) business practice?

I'm going to try and contact BBC watch dog regarding my experience with the 980T and the 960V and the refusal of LG to repair or replace the tv even though they admitted fault?

I think users need to stick together, protect each other. It would be easy for me (for us) to sit back and forget about it... But if we do, LG will just keep selling broken items year after year, raking in millions of pounds/dollars etc while we struggle to find a way to deal with the loss of £3000 worth of savings for a product that was immediately discontinued, can't be replaced, and doesn't work! It's like a very clever and modern way of basic theft!

A wise man once said:
fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — You can't get fooled again :)

I think LG think that we're all a little bunch of bushes at times!

Hopefully if we work together our voices will be heard!
At best we get this issues fixed and save lots of people thousands of pounds.
At worst, nothing happens but at least we tried.

I say there's no harm in doing the right thing :thumbsup:

Just a small update and rectification from my end.
I have not returned my LM960 yet. But I most probably will when the 65" VT50 I have ordered arrives end of May.
Not many proper reviews of the VT50 yet, specially the 65"
The 50" VT50 gets quite good reviews though.

I am by no means an expert, I just see what I see.

I must also point out that the LM960 is not a bad TV.
For your everyday TV viewing it is most of the time briliant.
However for a high end tv with a quite high price tag we should expect that it is great in all modes.
And specially as it is adverticed pretty much as the ultimate cinema unit.

Also in all fairness I think it is not right to kick LG too hard just yet as these flaws was discovered quite short time ago. It would offcourse help LG if they atleast made some sort of reply as absolute silence will for sure do more harm.
In my opinion they should be given a couple of weeks to look into the problem and hopefully rectify it.

Anbjørn

I agree with everything you have said...
My only concerne is time, it's been 2 weeks already, reviews had these sets weeks before release. You and I can't be the first of the LG technicians and paid reviewers to have noticed these flaws? If we are that means we are better than all the reviewers out there and most of LGs technical staff :smashin:

What I mean Is, if we don't push them, they will most likely do what thy did with the 980t... Discontinue it and run away from the problem :(

But again,
I agree with everything you have said in every respect. I'm not disagreeing, just for me, it's already been a few weeks and I was told over the phone by LG (the quote is posted above) that they aren't going to do any thing about this until they recieve more complaints... :(

Well, if LG's official stand point is to do nothing, unless, or until they receive more complaints, then they should be taken for a ride.
And judging by what they did, or better, NOT did regarding the 980T I guess giving them some slack this time will be hard. I did not even know about this before I came here.
Hopefully tech magazines and testers investigate and follow up the findings and report them more widely for all to see.

Why the VT50 over the GT or ST. Dropping to GT you only miss the ultra black panel but it's also over 500 euro cheaper. Dropping to the ST you also lose the 2500 FDD and dual core (but dual core is mostly for the apps, which I can't see any reason to using anyway).

The ST is nearly half the price of the VT, and it still has a magnificant picture according to tests.

I'll go for the 50" (big enough for us) which got great reviews as far as i can tell. GT is indeed probably the better deal but i like the VT design more... especially after seeing it in real life...

Maybe it's more expensive but in my opinion it's really worth the 1.900 bucks...

If people dont buy the arnt going to get any complains!
Or are the suggestion us to buy just to complain??

If people dont buy the arnt going to get any complains!
Or are the suggestion us to buy just to complain??

LG said they won't investigate unless they get complaints, however if we openly state (On this LG Authorised Forum) that we are either holding back our purchase or returning our already purchased items (in my case) based on their stance, perhaps this will give them a reason to fix it.

If everyone on here who is holding out, bought a set tomorrow and complained, that's still only 19 complaints or so... Thats not enough for this to be investigated anyway... However, those 19 or so voices actually equate to over £60,000 pounds of lost revenue to LG plus bad word of mouth, bad advertising, unhappy users etc etc etc...

Once LG have your money, what's their incentive to fix your issue? There is none, they will do what they did with the 980T. Discontinue the flagship product (2 months after launch) and run away from the issue, leaving users literally thousands of pounds out of pocket.

This way they have an incentive to fix it, a better reputation, happy customers , over £60,000 pounds woth of extra sales plus good word of mouth advertising and potive user reviews etc...

If you all buy a broken tv and knowingly had over cash for a faulty product, there is no incentive to fix it...

Last edited:
Couldnt agree more... now i might just go for the Lm760T which didnt show the 24p errors when i tested it in the store... but i am more inclined to go with the VT50. So yes that is another lost sale from here aswell....

... I agree with everything you have said in every respect. I'm not disagreeing, just for me, it's already been a few weeks and I was told over the phone by LG (the quote is posted above) that they aren't going to do any thing about this until they recieve more complaints... :(
This is the point that has tipped the balance for me - I won't be buying any of the new LG TVs. In fact I have now ordered a price matched Panasonic TX-L55ET5B from JL. I was considering the LM960 but I expect to get superlative performance if I am invited to pay a premium price and for this to be backed up by excellent customer service - the LG TVs don't appear to meet this criteria. So I have saved myself £1,400 :thumbsup: and LG have lost a sale.

This is the point that has tipped the balance for me - I won't be buying any of the new LG TVs. In fact I have now ordered a price matched Panasonic TX-L55ET5B from JL. I was considering the LM960 but I expect to get superlative performance if I am invited to pay a premium price and for this to be backed up by excellent customer service - the LG TVs don't appear to meet this criteria. So I have saved myself £1,400 :thumbsup: and LG have lost a sale.
same here going for the Panasonic TX-L55ET5B as well, it might be edge lit
but as you say £1400-£1500 less i can put up with its faults.goodbye LG

same here going for the Panasonic TX-L55ET5B as well, it might be edge lit
but as you say £1400-£1500 less i can put up with its faults.goodbye LG

Absolutely,
This is my big issue,

Why should we pay £3000 for a tv that doesn't have good blacks, has no shadow detail, does not supoort 24p, has huge gaming lag, has no 3D options in pc mode (someone in the LM760 forums posted a link to a review on amazon of a HTPC user complaining of the same thing, so it appears this could affect the entire LM SERIES :eek:) and broken calibration tools etc.

When, quite rightly, you can pay pay HALF that cost, and get a tv that supports all of the above and more.

@LG
Do, you have any feedback for your owners/customers regarding this issue. Current losses for LG dus to these flaws is now sitting at over £80,000.

Additionally, this really brings into question your QC, your testers and the people who you pay to help you bug test youre software and perform reviews, considering users picked up on these flaws within hours of opening the box.

Have you ever considered beta testers or getting users to bug test your software?

Please can you give us an update on these bugs and if a fix is due/expected or is this TV going to be discontinued again like the 980T.

I'm going to post this in the Samsung threads and see if I can't get your competitors to pick this up and run with it, as it seems your currently getting away with false advertising and unethical (or very questionable) business practices which I'm sure they would like to capitalise on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom