The Official LG LW980T Full LED NANO 3DTV Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously lads. No one should buy this TV after this debacle. We should be boycotting LG. I for one will be telling anyone that asks for advice to steer clear of LG.

Seriously? All companies make mistakes. Are you going to boycott everyone?

Something like Sony leaking millions of people's personal (and possibly credit card details) from the play station network makes a simple error over a number of blocks on a spec sheet pale into insignificance. Or Blackberry losing their network for a few days. Just a couple of recent examples.

It's very easy to get sucked into these forums, but please maintain some perspective. If you like the TV? Great, what does it matter how many blocks its got as long as its a good picture. No, then return it and buy something else.

But a boycott? Really?

Last edited:
Yes, LG messed this up seriously.
But i give them this: they at least reacted (in some countries/regions) and pulled the 980 off the market when they noticed they screwed up...

...unlike some other Korean company that is continuing to sell and advertise with Full-HD 3D although proven otherwise, treating complaining owners as idiots, and just sitting it out. Now that's a perfect example for an image desaster! :thumbsdow

We didnt suffer any financial loss or are now stuck with an inferior set.
So far every owner in Germany that wanted to return the set had no problems doing that. If i understand correctly, you guys in UK even have the possibility to return within x-days?

Let's be honest, we're all just disappointed that our search for our perfect TV has to go on?!
I hold no grudge against LG :)

But i give them this: they at least reacted (in some countries/regions) and pulled the 980 off the market when they noticed they screwed up...

...unlike some other Korean company that is continuing to sell and advertise with Full-HD 3D although proven otherwise, treating complaining owners as idiots, and just sitting it out. Now that's a perfect example for an image desaster! :thumbsdow

We didnt suffer any financial loss or are now stuck with an inferior set.
So far every owner in Germany that wanted to return the set had no problems doing that. If i understand correctly, you guys in UK even have the possibility to return within x-days?

Let's be honest, we're all just disappointed that our search for our perfect TV has to go on?!
I hold no grudge against LG :)

Hi,

Sorry, I have been out of touch lately - be kind enough to fill me in or refer me to threads/info regarding this please!

Suave!

tabber said:

It's very easy to get sucked into these forums, but please maintain some perspective. If you like the TV? Great, what does it matter how many blocks its got as long as its a good picture. No, then return it and buy something else.

But a boycott? Really?

I totally agree here. Anyone who still wants to buy and try, go for it- so long as u know you're paying way more than u should be. Anyone (the majority I should imagine) who thinks it is too expensive for the "updated" specs don't need to buy it yet, and should wait till it drops in price. Simple.
My one concern is for people like me who have already bought while LG were still advertising this with 288 blocks, and know there's not much chance of getting any compensation back from the supplier we bought from (as LG couldn't care less)- meaning we either refund or keep for the high price we paid for the now lower spec. LG really lost my respect regarding customer service here.

So, wait till it's cheaper? Sure. Boycott? Is it really worth it? Just don't buy one yet if you're not happy with the price.

Last edited:
"...unlike some other Korean company that is continuing to sell and advertise with Full-HD 3D although proven otherwise,treating complaining owners as idiots, and just sitting it out. Now that's a perfect example for an image desaster! "

To which other Korean company do you refer GoVi?

Not much to add here today as you have all said everything I am/have been thinking!

UltiResis said:
"...unlike some other Korean company that is continuing to sell and advertise with Full-HD 3D although proven otherwise,treating complaining owners as idiots, and just sitting it out. Now that's a perfect example for an image desaster! "

To which other Korean company do you refer GoVi?

Not much to add here today as you have all said everything I am/have been thinking!

That would be Samsung and their D series 6 led 3D TV's.

Sorry to be off topic guys but:

OK that's a new one on me, since when was it proven that Samsung D series 6 are not full HD 1080P or have I entirely missed something?

Sorry to be off topic guys but:

OK that's a new one on me, since when was it proven that Samsung D series 6 are not full HD 1080P or have I entirely missed something?

Sorry to be off topic too guys :smashin:

I gleamed that information from the owners thread and the source of it seems to have come from HDTVTest.

This is the review that brought the whole issue to light

Samsung UE40D6530/ UE32D6530 (D6530) 3D LED TV Review

And this is a snippet of the paragraph in particular to save you reading through it

The vertical resolution check area of our test pattern appeared as a solid grey smudge (it’s supposed to be alternating black and white lines), and the diagonal “stipple” pattern did, too. Unfortunately for Samsung, there is a large “FULL HD 3D” logo displayed prominently on the UE40D6530′s box, which, we’re sorry to say, simply isn’t true. Given that Samsung has publicly denounced its cross-town rival LG over the latter’s usage of the term “Full HD 3D” to describe its passive Cinema 3D displays, this is more than a little ironic. We can only assume this is a promotional mistake of some sort, or that in these early days of 3D, a lack of test patterns (we had to made our own) means that TV makers may simply not be entirely or collectively aware of such limitations.

Sorry for deviating but it seems many other companies do not actually produce full HD 3D on thier sets as seen here.

The Samsung UE40D6530 isn’t the only 3DTV promoted as “Full HD 3D” to actually not be – none of the 2011 Panasonic Plasma TV panels we’ve reviewed have been able to reproduce all 1080 lines of the 3D image, although they’re very close and the limitation is nowhere near as extreme.

Done! sorry for slightly derailing the thread :rolleyes:

Missed that entirely, so the thot plickens on the Full HD 3D wars. :eek:

Thanks for that!

Had a really rubbish nights sleep- was up at 3am till 4am, and up again at 6. Could it be I'm already getting anxious and excited about getting this tv tomorrow? Most probably :laugh: Heaven help me tonight!

Haha Christmas has come early has it? Ya big kid :p (I think we're all like this really)

Speaking of which, I should go to bed and try to grab some shuteye I haven't been to bed yet and I've been up since 6AM yesterday!

Last edited:
UltiResis said:
Haha Christmas has come early has it? Ya big kid :p (I think we're all like this really)

Speaking of which, I should go to bed and try to grab some shuteye I haven't been to bed yet and I've been up since 6AM yesterday!

Yep, when it comes to new toys, I am indeed a big kid :D As my sig says, I'm older than I feel ;)

Wow u nutcase- get some sleep man! :laugh:

Something like Sony leaking millions of people's personal (and possibly credit card details) from the play station network makes a simple error over a number of blocks on a spec sheet pale into insignificance. Or Blackberry losing their network for a few days. Just a couple of recent examples.

But a boycott? Really?

Sony and Blackberry losing data was a security issue not fraud or dishonesty. LG have lied - pure and simple.

P.s. is that you LGDave?

So, wait till it's cheaper? Sure. Boycott? Is it really worth it? Just don't buy one yet if you're not happy with the price.

Lads, you seem to be missing the point. Have LG delivered a Europe-wide press release? Have they contacted all the reviewers in relation to reviewing sets with missing specs? All they have done is taken it off the sites and said sorry on a forum.

What about all the other people who buy this TV not knowing about the lower specs and at a (let's face it) really high cost? What you guys are doing is bending over backwards and taking all the bull from LG. If we were all to do that the big companies would continue to deceive. Let's not forgot it's all about profit margins for them - not consumer welfare or honesty.

If we show them we are not gonna take it lying down then they may react in more positive and honest manner.

Last edited:

I think Samsung case with D6 is actually very similar, after some time (maybe longer) they (almost) removed any reference to "Full HD 3D" in their sites. At least this wasn't supposed to be their flagship model.

More info D6x00 TVs FULL HD 3D Defect - SamyGO and also here.

But a boycott? Really?

I agree that all companies make mistakes, the main difference is when one is affected by this mistakes. It does not matter which one is worse because the one affecting you will always be the worst. I assume that when people talk about boycott is mainly about the particular product. I had no issue in buying LG's external blu ray player for my computers because it is good product. That's the difference. The number of LD block is extremely important to the main reason of the TV, it will make a far superior PQ.

.. Anyone (the majority I should imagine) who thinks it is too expensive for the "updated" specs don't need to buy it yet, and should wait till it drops in price. Simple.

My one concern is for people like me who have already bought while LG were still advertising this with 288 blocks, and know there's not much chance of getting any compensation back from the supplier we bought from (as LG couldn't care less)- meaning we either refund or keep for the high price we paid for the now lower spec. LG really lost my respect regarding customer service here.

I think it is worth it. My reason for this is simple. How will the TV reduce its price if it is selling well? Offer and demand. People like you may be entitle to a refund because you bought something which was not sold and advertised so you got the wrong product. However you will not be entitle to compensation because there is demand and someone will buy it at that price.

As you said in your post 'LG could not care less' as all other manufacturers. The only way to bring them down to their senses is when we hit them where it hurts and they lose money.

I sincerely hope that all of you who bought this TV will get some sort of compensation. When Sony made the 'mistake' with the crease they offered the sound stand as a good will gesture but only did it when people began to return the TV.

Lads, you seem to be missing the point. Have LG delivered a Europe-wide press release? Have they contacted all the reviewers in relation to reviewing sets with missing specs? All they have done is taken it off the sites and said sorry on a forum.

What about all the other people who buy this TV not knowing about the lower specs and at a (let's face it) really high cost? What you guys are doing is bending over backwards and taking all the bull from LG. If we were all to do that the big companies would continue to deceive. Let's not forgot it's all about profit margins for them - not consumer welfare or honesty.

If we show them we are not gonna take it lying down then they may react in more positive and honest manner.

I'm not missing the point at all. I understand your point. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

Okay listen, if u want to boycott them that's your choice. And if anyone else does, that's their choice. We can't all agree to it though. And while u and others are boycotting them by not buying their tv, even when it drops in price, u could be missing out on a bloody good tv- regardless of the
lower spec LED blocks.
Ok, I don't like LG now. I think their customer relations and service sucks. BUT, I have a new tv coming tomorrow that I may actually think is bloomin' great, which is more than can be said for both my Sammy D8000 LCD's. If I were to follow your suggestion, I would cancel today and still be stuck with my 42" plasma for the rest of the year, as there is nothing else out there I want. So i'll stick with not boycotting them thank u very much.

Sorry to be off topic too guys :smashin:

I gleamed that information from the owners thread and the source of it seems to have come from HDTVTest.

This is the review that brought the whole issue to light

Samsung UE40D6530/ UE32D6530 (D6530) 3D LED TV Review

And this is a snippet of the paragraph in particular to save you reading through it

The vertical resolution check area of our test pattern appeared as a solid grey smudge (it’s supposed to be alternating black and white lines), and the diagonal “stipple” pattern did, too. Unfortunately for Samsung, there is a large “FULL HD 3D” logo displayed prominently on the UE40D6530′s box, which, we’re sorry to say, simply isn’t true. Given that Samsung has publicly denounced its cross-town rival LG over the latter’s usage of the term “Full HD 3D” to describe its passive Cinema 3D displays, this is more than a little ironic. We can only assume this is a promotional mistake of some sort, or that in these early days of 3D, a lack of test patterns (we had to made our own) means that TV makers may simply not be entirely or collectively aware of such limitations.

Sorry for deviating but it seems many other companies do not actually produce full HD 3D on thier sets as seen here.

The Samsung UE40D6530 isn’t the only 3DTV promoted as “Full HD 3D” to actually not be – none of the 2011 Panasonic Plasma TV panels we’ve reviewed have been able to reproduce all 1080 lines of the 3D image, although they’re very close and the limitation is nowhere near as extreme.

Done! sorry for slightly derailing the thread :rolleyes:

'We had to made our own' (test patterns)?, Maybe i could make my own coloromiter and software to calibrate my own TV too :smashin::laugh:.

Can't comment on the Samsung LCD sets as i know nothing about them but i can assure you the Plasma 3D models are full 1080p.

I suppose theres always going to be debates on this topic but after owning both Passive and active there is a difference for 'Real 3D' , Not so noticable for animation though.

Sorry for OT :).

I think it is worth it. My reason for this is simple. How will the TV reduce its price if it is selling well? Offer and demand...

I agree mate. But while I'm saying we shouldn't boycott them, I'm also of the opinion that if anyone does want this tv, they should wait for prices to drop to a reasonable level before purchasing.

Had a really rubbish nights sleep- was up at 3am till 4am, and up again at 6. Could it be I'm already getting anxious and excited about getting this tv tomorrow? Most probably :laugh: Heaven help me tonight!

Hey fella,
I guess were all big kids ehh!, Nothing like that ring of the doorbell and opening it to find a massive box the other side :cool:.
If your still as excited in 10 days time i will be well chuffed for you :smashin:.

I have no intention of buying one but your review is the one i'm waiting for to see just how good this set really is:).

... I would cancel today and still be stuck with my 42" plasma for the rest of the year, as there is nothing else out there I want. ...
You will never know how that echos what I feel. However I rather wait, I do not like buying a TV every year. I rather buy one of the best around, at a price, and hope that it will hold for a while. Changing all the connnections and the lot is a real pain in the 'head'
Good luck with your TV. ;)

Hey fella,
I guess were all big kids ehh!, Nothing like that ring of the doorbell and opening it to find a massive box the other side :cool:.
If your still as excited in 10 days time i will be well chuffed for you :smashin:.

I have no intention of buying one but your review is the one i'm waiting for to see just how good this set really is:).

Good morning Martin :)
Cheers matey. I'm looking forward to reviewing it for u guys as well as enjoying it for myself. Camera at the ready for the quality photo's and video :smashin:

Which makes me wonder- where the heck are all the owner video's on YouTube? :confused:

You will never know how that echos what I feel. However I rather wait, I do not like buying a TV every year. I rather buy one of the best around, at a price, and hope that it will hold for a while. Changing all the connnections and the lot is a real pain in the 'head'
Good luck with your TV. ;)

I don't buy a tv every year either mate. This pio plasma 42" is one I've had for several years now, and i REALLY need a change :laugh: I was SO disappointed when I realised I had to send my second D8000 back, and put the 42" back on the wall (which seemed like a portable telly in comparison!). Cheers fella :)

Final word on boycotting LG: I think if people want to do it that's up to them. But if this tv is any good, wait for prices to drop and see what u guys think then. There's no point cutting your noses off to spite your face. End of ;)

wastedyuthe said:
I agree mate. But while I'm saying we shouldn't boycott them, I'm also of the opinion that if anyone does want this tv, they should wait for prices to drop to a reasonable level before purchasing.

Wasted try and get hold of firmware 4.004.10 before you test anything, seems to have helped my flash problem,

neosjw uploaded it for me so pm him for the download link

I will post more later today, mostly positive news so far

Last edited:
I'm not missing the point at all. I understand your point. Doesn't mean I agree with it.

Okay listen, if u want to boycott them that's your choice. And if anyone else does, that's their choice. We can't all agree to it though. And while u and others are boycotting them by not buying their tv, even when it drops in price, u could be missing out on a bloody good tv- regardless of the
lower spec LED blocks.
Ok, I don't like LG now. I think their customer relations and service sucks. BUT, I have a new tv coming tomorrow that I may actually think is bloomin' great, which is more than can be said for both my Sammy D8000 LCD's. If I were to follow your suggestion, I would cancel today and still be stuck with my 42" plasma for the rest of the year, as there is nothing else out there I want. So i'll stick with not boycotting them thank u very much.

No that's a fair point - and I will not be entirely boycotting this TV, just until the price reflects the specifications. That's what I was trying to get across.

Mrb1972 said:
Wasted try and get hold of firmware 4.004.10 before you test anything, seems to have helped my flash problem,

neosjw uploaded it for me so pm him for the download link

I will post more later today, mostly positive news so far

That's good news and glad it helped, I'll wait for your update later and if positive, I'll rollback to .10 and do a comparison, the LD definitely seems to be a little erratic on .11 and seems to be a little slow processing scene changes.

Thanks
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom