The Official LG LW980T Full LED NANO 3DTV Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crunchie said:
I'm looking forward to seeing the Strictly Come Dancing final in 3D on my 980T :)

:rotfl: Now that's just a waste of a good telly :p

Dead5tar said:
What better use can a telly be put to than watching scantily clad ladies engaged in physical activity? :p

I like your thinking but I've found better 3D movies to watch scantily clad or naked ladies than come dancing lol.. My bloody valentine springs to mind ;-)

Can someone please clarify why, for 3D, the TruMotion should be turned off? Am I correct that this would reduce its refresh rate from 400Hz down to, say, 50Hz? My other LG set (37LD490) is only 50Hz and I was hoping that I would be able to enjoy smooth motion with this new 980T because panning shots on the 490 are stuttery.
I've always wondered where the 400Hz number comes from, since the display obviously isn't running at that rate. Internal frame interpolation?

LG UK said:
Hi Guys, not sure why 'expertreviews' put the S in there.... the UK model will 110% be a T (Freeview HD)
:thumbsup:

Aww shame I was getting excited about having freesat HD :-(

Hmmm thought that would have been set in stone by now Dave specially as you now have a 47inch 980t in your office?
Hope these aren't gonna go down the road of the LEX8? :eek::eek::eek:

Hey Wheres this foxy character at ??????????/ I figured with this news from earlier we would have seen at minimum 20 messages from him byy now, but whoa not a one post... this is strange

:lesson: :smashin: :clap: :boring:

Oh, Zomby, what "prior mistake" do you mean? :facepalm:

Lol... I am referring to the "press release" from Outfoxed Ya!:D You were supposed to be watching the door but became awestruck by the beauty and magnificence of the 980! I still have faith in you anyway though!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nooooo! LOL - don't leave me out the loop! I want to be in line with the rest of you to evaluate and hopefully purchase a 980 before the wife realises what I've done ;-)

My better half looked like she saw a ghost when she saw the supposed price!!! She usually doesn't care what I buy but got a bit of sticker shock when she saw this one... Good luck with that one mate, maybe you can slip one past the goalie!!!?:D

Hi Tony, I really didn't want to give the impression that I am only answering 'low lying fruit' I am answering what I have ACCESS to and allowed to respond to! With the greatest of respect to your 'lines' question we have certainly improved the visibility of them, however due to the nature of its subjectiveness and lack of a 550 next to it I, again, can't really make a solid comment.
In total honesty (for whatever reason) I never really even noticed the lines on the 550 and 650 until I got up (really) close anyway!? This is the same for the 980, for ME, I have to be much closer than I would view the TV at to see/notice/be bothered by the lines... Maybe my eyes aren't 'qualified' for 3DTV viewing!!! :( (or I just need to wear my glasses that are gathering dust perhaps....:rolleyes:) I suffer from quite bad headaches with the Active shutter type glasses so virtually all of my 3D viewing has been on the passive system.
Again, i'd like to apologies that my enthusiasm isn't coming across well enough in my writing, I think if you worked with me in my office you'd soon get fed up with me banging on about how great I think Cinema 3D is for everyone!!! :rolleyes:

Dave,
Thank you very much for the response. I am just getting frustrated because there is not much info about these issues and basically every review I have ever read has shown pics like the one I posted and cited the lines as a MAJOR issue of FPR sets. They also mention all of the benefits of FPR as well, so it is not all negative and I own a TV with this technology. I used to wear glasses as well and suffered from astigmatism, so I did not notice fine details like that before. After having laser vision correction, my eyesight is better than 20/20 (somewhere between 20/10 and 20/15 to be precise) and I notice EVERYTHING now!!! I never knew there were blades of grass, it all looked like a big green carpet before! The lines are now visible to me at approximately 3 meters! I get sick after 10 minutes of viewing active shutter sets so passive is my only option, but some of the games I love to play look unacceptable... How about that for irony!? One of the major reasons I got the surgery was because I could not stand looking through glasses that get small scratches and scuffs (which no amount of cleaning ever seems to fix!) while I play video games. It sucks having to stop on a trail while riding dirt bikes to take off my goggles and clean the fog from my glasses as well or to wear safety glasses over my prescription ones at the range. Night vision goggles are out of the question with prescription glasses as well. But now high def games look increadibly sharp and crisp to me... Until I switch to 3D and am greeted by moire and lines and artifacts and "ings" caused by the FPR!!! I know there is a way around it, movies in the cinema do not look this way. I realize it is a different method for viewing the passive images, but LG has to be aware if nothing else from all of the professional reviews that collaborate precisely with what I keep on about! I know you are only given a certain amount of info to share with us so I do not blame you. I just figured this was my chance (since you have a pre-production model) to find out what I have been wondering for the past 6 months.
Anyway, thanks for the response and I will try to be patient until I can view one in the flesh and see for myself in a month or so! Again, I am a big fan of passive 3D and truly believe it is the right technology to hold us over until large auto-stereoscopic sets become available, but I would like the same standard of PQ (all other factors considered) that unfortunately can only be acheived at present with active flicker TV's... So my options are nausea and headaches (active shutter):thumbsdow, lines and moire (FPR):thumbsdow, or continue to miss precious time that could be well spent enjoying 3D content as it was intended to be viewed.:thumbsdow Please if nothing else, let the powers that be know that lines are an issue that plague many regular people and professional reviewers alike. I really want this set and the only thing that will stop me are the lines... There has got to be a solution...:facepalm:
Thanks again Dave, no hard feelings?
Sincerely,
Tony (AKA - Mr Big!)

On sale in October means not on sale in September plus with the wifes birthday and our 10th wedding anniversary in October its not the best time to be trying to justify a 2.5k TV purchase! Presumably that 'on sale in October' isn't referring to Europe either? I tell you, looking more like November to me everyday :(

Hey good luck with the purchase my friend, just buy her something Real nice 1st, that will normally work and then you should be fine with purchasing your television at that time :smashin:

All bin getting emotional in ere this week :rotfl: Everyones thirsty for knowledge on the 980t and things don't sound to clever if I'm honest.. I'd like to here this nano tech is here to rival plasma but I'm not convinced.. I understand where Zombys coming from on the scan lines with his laser eyes but for me that's no real issue atm both be nice to know it's rectified!

I just wanna here things like.. Guaranteed no clouding no banding no strange motion and most of all a cracking promo offer :rotfl:

Come on Dave tell the powers that be WE NEED INFO :)

They ain't gonna tell us :censored: until IFA on September 4th and even then don't believe it till ya see it! We're going to be given very basic info based on what Dave sees on the pre-production model they have.

As for the lines, they are going to be there, it is the FPR filter and unless LG have completely redesigned the filter and the tech for the 980T it will not have changed. Zomby obviously can see them but I don't know how because from 3 metres away you definitely should not be able to. I know I can't on the 550 and 650 from about 4 feet or more they disappear entirely and I have great eyesight and do not wear glasses. Had my eyes tested recently and was told I am in the top 2% in the country!

As many of you have said it is likely going to be November before we can see the 980T in UK stores.:thumbsdow By that point I will be thinking of waiting for CES in January to see what is on offer next year and may end up finding I go for something else in March when all the other manufacturers release their new models. The 980T may actually end up being old news :eek:.

I ain't waiting for it, the 55" 650T is only £400 on top of what I paid for the 47" 550T now so that's where my uplift aithorisation credit + £400 is going :) Will then wait and see what next year brings...

As for the lines, they are going to be there, it is the FPR filter and unless LG have completely redesigned the filter and the tech for the 980T it will not have changed. Zomby obviously can see them but I don't know how because from 3 metres away you definitely should not be able to. I know I can't on the 550 and 650 from about 4 feet or more they disappear entirely and I have great eyesight and do not wear glasses. Had my eyes tested recently and was told I am in the top 2% in the country!

I know you guys are sick of hearing it but I am not the only one. Every single review I have read in the states says the same exact thing, with some being bothered more than others. Every sales rep at BestBuy collaborated as well and in all fairness I bought this set knowing it was an issue. The lines are less bothersome than flicker on active sets, I just don't want LG to think all of us are alright with it and attempt a fix. I realize it is inherent in the film itself but there has got to be a solution!? It is more pronounced on items such as raised lettering that pop out such as the Prince of Persia logo at the bottom of any loading screen. Things in the background with fine detail show them as well such as power lines, ropes, or other fine details. A perfect example are the eyelashes of characters in Killzone 3... Maybe a better way to describe them is to suggest having a closer look at the "jaggies." They are a direct result of the lines. Many people see jagged edges and that is basically the gap between the lines that causes them. Again, it all depends on the source (and individual) as to how bothersome or well defined they are. But I am far from being the only one that sees them. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) it was Crunchie that was bothered by them from a previous post. It is just something that I feel LG should be seriously working on. Also, you should be able to view any TV close up if you so desire without artifacts. As sick as they make me, active sets look crisp no matter how close you get to them and I find myself literally sitting back against the wall to minimize the effects... I have 3 meters between that point and the TV so I am well beyond the recommended viewing distance of "6ft" (approx 2 meters) as suggested on the display in-store. If there is any question to the validity of my claim, I would not keep on about it if it wasn't very bothersome and something that should be fixed or at least minimized in some way... After all, isn't technology supposed to continually improve and evolve? Oh well, I guess I will be waiting until next year to see what happens and this one will have to hold me over until then...:(

Last edited:
zAndy1 said:
I ain't waiting for it, the 55" 650T is only £400 on top of what I paid for the 47" 550T now so that's where my uplift aithorisation credit + £400 is going :) Will then wait and see what next year brings...

Hehe brave man.. Hope you dont regret it mate .

Zomby said:
I know you guys are sick of hearing it but I am not the only one. Every single review I have read in the states says the same exact thing, with some being bothered more than others. Every sales rep at BestBuy collaborated as well and in all fairness I bought this set knowing it was an issue. The lines are less bothersome than flicker on active sets, I just don't want LG to think all of us are alright with it and attempt a fix. I realize it is inherent in the film itself but there has got to be a solution!? It is more pronounced on items such as raised lettering that pop out such as the Prince of Persia logo at the bottom of any loading screen. Things in the background with fine detail show them as well such as power lines, ropes, or other fine details. A perfect example are the eyelashes of characters in Killzone 3... Maybe a better way to describe them is to suggest having a closer look at the "jaggies." They are a direct result of the lines. Many people see jagged edges and that is basically the gap between the lines that causes them. Again, it all depends on the source (and individual) as to how bothersome or well defined they are. But I am far from being the only one that sees them. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) it was Crunchie that was bothered by them from a previous post. It is just something that I feel LG should be seriously working on. Also, you should be able to view any TV close up if you so desire without artifacts. As sick as they make me, active sets look crisp no matter how close you get to them and I find myself literally sitting back against the wall to minimize the effects... I have 3 meters between that point and the TV so I am well beyond the recommended viewing distance of "6ft" (approx 2 meters) as suggested on the display in-store. If there is any question to the validity of my claim, I would not keep on about it if it wasn't very bothersome and something that should be fixed or at least minimized in some way... After all, isn't technology supposed to continually improve and evolve? Oh well, I guess I will be waiting until next year to see what happens and this one will have to hold me over until then...:(

Is this the LW5 your talking about? Have you tested the 980 us version in store?

Is this the LW5 your talking about? Have you tested the 980 us version in store?

It is not out yet, I was trying to find out from LG if it was an issue that has been addressed in the new flagship. Do you see them on your 550? If so is it bothersome or do you sit far back? I will be looking for the TV but I have the distinct feeling that we will be seeing them in-store around the same time. I have been following this TV closely since IFA last Sept when the LEX8 (LEX8 has been officially dropped) and 9 were anounced. As far as I understand, the 980 is adapted from that line since they were the original prototypes for nano LED. The 72" model (LZ9700 I believe) is available for sale in Dubai but it is active shutter. The questions I keep on about are the same ones I have been searching for an answer to since then... I guess I will have to be a bit more patient and wait it out until I can view one in the store. I really only bought the LW5 to hold me over and was well aware of the issues when I bought it. I am glad I did that since I may be waiting even longer now, I don't mind dropping the cash for the lower end set but expect more from the flagship. Hopefully those auto-stereoscopic sets that you and I really want are not to far off!?:facepalm:

There is an article of the LG LW9800 nano tv on flatpanelshd,

I too have been following this thread and patiently waiting for a release date. Now what is putting me off now, is as I understand this model was due to be released at the beginning of the year with Active Shutter 3D under the guise of the 950T correct? As I understand this model was pulled and re-engineered for Passive 3D and will become the 980T. So assuming an announcement is made in September, I believe it will be close to xmas before it is available to purchase. By that time assuming the only change is the Passive tech from the 950T the TV model will effectively be a year old. If I'm going with 55" + size panel, I want the latest and greatest for £2500+ (my guesstimate). Hope Nano LED fullfills the PQ promise.

Last edited:
I too have been following this thread and patiently waiting for a release date. Now what is putting me off now, is as I understand this model was due to be released at the beginning of the year with Active Shutter 3D under the guise of the 950T correct? As I understand this model was pulled and re-engineered for Passive 3D and will become the 980T. So assuming an announcement is made in September, I believe it will be close to xmas before it is available to purchase. By that time assuming the only change is the Passive tech from the 950T the TV model will effectively be a year old. If I'm going with 55" + size panel, I want the latest and greatest for £2500+ (my guesstimate). Hope Nano LED fullfills the PQ promise.
The official announcement was made by LG a couple of days ago and the 980T should be available in September or October...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom