Samsung B650 Owner's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonaparte

Standard Member
Reaction score
The B650 has been released and here are some answers to the most commonly asked questions about the range.

First of all, model numbers and photos (thanks to Ziffius!):

T = The first latter on the Internal project name Samsung used. The number after that refers to the case variation.

There's a B650T2, B651T3, B652T4, B653T5, B655T2, B656T3, B657T4, B658T5. I believe the B655-B658 are for Northern Europe, so presumably have cable tuners in.

T2 = Black/ Grey U Shape.
T3 = Black/ Red U Shape.
T4 = Black/ Grey V Shape.
T5 = Black/ Red V Shape.

B650T2 UK Retailers other than DSG/ Kesa (Comet)
LCD650_f.jpg

LCD650_f_controls.jpg

LCD650_l_controls_angle.jpg

It's hard to see from the photo's, but the grey stripe is curved outwards, the front isn't flat.

B651T3 In the UK, Exclusive to Dixons Group: Currys, PC World, PC World Business and Dixons
LCD656_f_.jpg

LCD656_f_controls.jpg

B652T4 In the UK, Exclusive to Kesa Electricals Group: Laskys and Comet.
LCD657_f_h.jpg

LCD657_f_h_logo.jpg

LCD657_f_h_controls.jpg

B653T5 No Known UK retailers
LCD658_f_h.jpg

LCD658_f_h_logo.jpg

LCD658_f_h_controls.jpg

USB connectivity:

With regard to plugging in a USB harddisk, the surprising news is that can plug in up to 2 disks, 1 in each USB port. The TV recognises each drive and will let you select between them for browsing. FAT, FAT32 and NTFS formatted drives are recognised.

From the USB hard disk, the TV appears to play just about everything I have thrown at it so far including MP4, MKV, and AVIs up to 1080p. Playback is mostly flawless (although the killa clip does not play successfully). Only a couple of files have failed due to unsupported audio format. This seems to be related to the audio encoding used.

Network Connectivity

As a DLNA video renderer, it is mostly useless. Pictures and music work fine but I am yet to find a video file that is supported over DLNA. File formats are limited to the set of exact video specifications supported by DLNA which is a substantially smaller sub-set of the formats supported by the TV in USB mode.

I compromise by having a NAS with a USB connection. When I need to shift files onto the drive, I use it in NAS mode. When I need to play stuff using the TV, I plug in the USB cable.

Last edited:
Hi.

It would be nice if you could post some images of the set.

How is the glossiness of the screen? Disturbing?
Is there any high pitch or any other (unwanted) noise coming from the TV?
Is there any clouding, bleeding etc.?
Did you try any gaming - if yes. Is input lag disturbing?

So if I understand correctly, streaming of video files through DLNA (ethernet) does not work? I always had a feeling that it does. To bad :(.

What is your overall opinion about the set?

I was looking at getting this tv but after seeing it in the flesh with an sd picture input it was not a good picture, a 686 screen behind it was much better.
Can you let me know what the sd picture it like.
I am waiting for sky hd to be installed but will still watch quite a lot of stuff that is not hd and dont want a bad sd picture.
Cheers

I now have a LE40B650 at home so if you have any specific questions about the model, I can have a go at answering them.

With regard to plugging in a USB harddisk, the surprising news is that can plug in up to 2 disks, 1 in each USB port. The TV recognises each drive and will let you select between them for browsing.

From the USB hard disk, the TV appears to play just about everything I have thrown at it so far including MP4, MKV, and AVIs up to 1080p. Playback is flawless. Only a couple of files have failed due to unsupported audio format. I haven't worked out what the problem is with these files but I think the audio encoding might be unusual.

As a DLNA video renderer, it is mostly useless. Pictures and music work fine but I am yet to find a video file that is supported over DLNA.

I compromise by having a NAS with a USB connection. When I need to shift files onto the drive, I use it in NAS mode. When I need to play stuff using the TV, I plug in the USB cable.
How much did you pay? where from?

> It would be nice if you could post some images of the set.

I'm at work but I'll post photos tonight if I get the chance.

> How is the glossiness of the screen? Disturbing?

Definitely not disturbing. I actually really like the glossiness.

> Is there any high pitch or any other (unwanted) noise coming from the TV?

No, nothing from mine. I have got down behind it to check and there was nothing. The USB harddisk makes more of a hum than the TV.

> Is there any clouding, bleeding etc.?

I'm not an expert in this field but I've had a look with the lights off and a black screen looks completely uniform to me.

> Did you try any gaming - if yes. Is input lag disturbing?

I'm running the XBOX 360 over the VGA connection and it seems to run without any perceptible lag. However, a signal from the PC via HDMI/DVI has a clear and disruptive lag which I haven't worked out how to remove yet. Game mode (which largely eliminates the lag) didn't appear to be available over the PC HMDI port although I didn't spend much time looking for it.

> So if I understand correctly, streaming of video files through DLNA (ethernet) does not work? I always had a feeling that it does. To bad .

Unless you make an effort to re-encode your video files to meet the DLNA video requirements, then no, it doesn't work. Samsung ought to reconsider this in a firmware upgrade (which is possible over USB) as it defeats an otherwise extremely useful feature.

> What is your overall opinion about the set?

I am extremely pleased with it. The AVI and MKV video compatibility means the TV can use its internal upscaler on those videos (rather than relying on XBMC), and the output looks amazing.

> Can you let me know what the sd picture it like.

SD stuff looks great for me on high bandwidth channels like BBC, ITV, BBC NEWS 24. The BBC wildlife program about whales was jaw dropping, especially with motionflow enabled. The low bandwidth channels do look awful IMO (music channels, QVC etc). I don't watch them anyway.

There is already a B650 thread,I think 2 threads for the same tv is a bit much...

I'm looking at a B650 (and hopefully a NAS) to replace my Sony CRT and xbox running XBMC. Im not really too up on NAS but is it possible to have it connected to the network and to the TV via USB at the same time to save plugging and unplugging?

Can you post a pic of the screen / menu used to play video via USB? Is it easy to navigate and play files?

Do you know if subtitles will work with a video file via USB?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm still undecided between this and the Sony 40W5500 but the ability to play video files may swing my decision!

I'm looking at a B650 (and hopefully a NAS) to replace my Sony CRT and xbox running XBMC. Im not really too up on NAS but is it possible to have it connected to the network and to the TV via USB at the same time to save plugging and unplugging?

Can you post a pic of the screen / menu used to play video via USB? Is it easy to navigate and play files?

Do you know if subtitles will work with a video file via USB?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm still undecided between this and the Sony 40W5500 but the ability to play video files may swing my decision!

In order:
It will depend on your NAS. Mine (ICYBOX 902) does not support this, but plugging, unplugging the USB cable only needs to be done when new files are to be copied to the drive, so not very often.

Incidentally, the drive shuts down immediately when the TV is switched off which is a nice powersaving touch.

Photos later. Navigation is moderately user friendly though not quite as much as XBMC. Folder navigation is a touch slow. XBMC (original xbox) in 1080i over component looks excellent by the way, so a satisfying second choice when needed.

Subtitles definitely work. I tested it last night. They look great in 1080p as well.

I like this thread better. Can't you let someone else create a thread for a new tv for a change?

It's not a competition for who is the first to spot a new tv then create a new thread straight away.
:boring:

Last edited:
@ bonaparte

Do you think samsung would change the firmware to enable the playback of non DNLA stanard avi,mkv files to save us all having to recode them just to play them back via DLNA?:lease:

@ bonaparte

Do you think samsung would change the firmware to enable the playback of non DNLA stanard avi,mkv files to save us all having to recode them just to play them back via DLNA?:lease:

LOL! No idea mate. It would sound sensible wouldn't it! I guess its possible that they just reused the code from the A650 (which had exactly the same limitation) and could update it to include the new video formats in due time. Let's hope.

On a side note, I like the way it adds the USB drives and DLNA sources as video sources in the menu screen. I enabled 'Home Server' on my nokia N82 and that too popped up as a source.

@bonaparte :

hello napoleon :) i DO have some question...and since you seem kind...

1. The 100hz is adjustable, i consider that a quite revolutionary feature. Nobody seems to be doing that in 2009 !!! so i would like to know what do yot thing about the 100hz on this TV ??? can we adjust it so that it can excel in documentaries, movies sport...i mean anything????

2. Speaking of 100hz i read on hdtvtest that this feature is not usable while playing games!!!! or is it while in game mode ???

3. speaking of game mode...previously game modes from all manufacturers including samsung sucked (colours are too flashy etc....) how is this game mode? what about the fact that no 100hz is available in it ??? ( this freaks me out!!!!!!!!!!!! i am thinking of getting the B550 then....)

4. Tustredreviews said SD is dissapointing...hdtvtest said its quite good...what is it then ?????

5. is the motion + good in certain circumstances ? (top of the line still is motionflow it seems...)

THANX in advance mate :smashin:

1. Yeah, the adjustments seem good. So far, I've been using heavy judder reduction/blur reduction for wildlife type documentarys (watching the animals move smoothly is amazing), moderate reduction for TV stuff, and minimal/none reduction for film content.

2. The only input that it seems to be disabled for is the VGA in. Component/HDMI definitely has it. Game mode does disable it though (thus reducing lag).

3. Games look pretty nice to me. Prince of Persia looks a bit garish but that is the style of the game I think. Burnout looks great.

4. SD seems ok to me. I think it is quite bandwidth dependent (see above)

5. Not sure what you mean here. Motionflow usefulness depends heavily on the content. Like I said, the right content looks AMAZING with motion flow on (think underwater shark attacks etc)

When you put mkv or mpeg4 files thru the USB port with dolby digital sound , do you geth this signal out from the spdif output, so you can connect it with a reciever and get Digital suround?

thx

Good question. I don't know the answer I'm afraid, as I'm not using the optical out yet (one expensive gadget at a time...)

>
> Did you try any gaming - if yes. Is input lag disturbing?

I'm running the XBOX 360 over the VGA connection and it seems to run without any perceptible lag. However, a signal from the PC via HDMI/DVI has a clear and disruptive lag which I haven't worked out how to remove yet. Game mode (which largely eliminates the lag) didn't appear to be available over the PC HMDI port although I didn't spend much time looking for it.

That's the info I was looking for too. If you solve that problem, please inform us :)

thanx napoleon !!:) u seem happy with this set. I am thinking of getting the 32". my budget is short :rolleyes:

I was looking at getting this tv but after seeing it in the flesh with an sd picture input it was not a good picture, a 686 screen behind it was much better.
Can you let me know what the sd picture it like.
I am waiting for sky hd to be installed but will still watch quite a lot of stuff that is not hd and dont want a bad sd picture.
Cheers

If the A686 was behind it, then it would have had a better SD picture. This is because you were further from it.

@ bonaparte

If the TV has no problem playing back the files from USB. Then if could be down to the DNLA software on the PC. There are quite a few 'alternative' DNLA software you can install.

If the TV has no problem playing back the files from USB. Then if could be down to the DNLA software on the PC. There are quite a few 'alternative' DNLA software you can install.

any good ones you could surgest? really need it to play at least all the avi files i have.

any good ones you could surgest? really need it to play at least all the avi files i have.

As far as I am aware, the limitation is with the DLNA specification on the TV and not the PC software. XBMC and Windows 7 have perfectly good DLNA servers and the TV won't play MKV files from them either .

This is a fairly mammoth thread about all that:

Samsung DNLA/Wiselink/Samsung PC Share Manager Setup - CNET Samsung Forums

The Xbox 360 WILL play some stuff that the TV won't. i.e. WMV stuff. Although this is out of the DLNA spec AFAIK, Microsoft were obviously keen to have people using WMV so enabled it. Again, no MKV dice though.

I believe this is the part of the DLNA spec in question if it's of interest to anyone:

Media Format and Transport Model

The DLNA media format model is intended to achieve a baseline for network interoperability while encouraging continued innovation in media codec technology. Improvements in media codec technology result in better network bandwidth utilization and media quality for a given bit rate. DLNA requirements on media format support apply to media content that passes over the home network from a DMS or M-DMS device to a DMP or M-DMP device. The DLNA media format model defines a set of required media formats and a set of optional media formats for each of the three classes of media and for both device categories: image, audio, and video with audio (AV). Table 1 and Table 2 show the current set of required formats and optional formats as defined in the DLNA guidelines. The network interoperability model for media formats is as follows:

• All DMS, DMP, DMR, DMC, and DMPr devices, and their counterpart MHD devices, must support all formats designated in Table 1 and Table 2 as required for any of the media classes and device category they support. In the addition, all DMS/M-DMS and DMP/M-DMP/M-DMD devices may support any additional formats designated as optional for any of the media classes they support.

• Any DMP, M-DMP, DMR, M-DMD and DMPr device must be able to receive content from any DMS or M-DMS device. A DMS or M-DMS device may stream content in its native format if the receiving device supports such native format. Otherwise, that DMS or M-DMS device should transcode the native format to one of the applicable required formats or to a format understood by the rendering device.

Attachments

• x0.JPG
    x0.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 991
  • x1.JPG
    x1.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:
If the A686 was behind it, then it would have had a better SD picture. This is because you were further from it.

No as when i went closer to the 686 it still looked good.
The sd picture was just better, blacks blacker and when txt was on the samgung logo was on the it was just sharper and i did make sure they were both the same input

Have just set this tv up for my dad and can confirm the picture looks amazing in all formats, to my eye anyway!

Anyone know if it is supported by mac? as on the cd rom that comes with it it only mentions windows :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom