Sony KDL-W5500 SERIES *Part 3*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a continuation of a thread that can be found here

Thanks to CHRISGEO for starting the original thread.

for reference First post of part one
The other thread was moved so there must be one for the upcoming W5500 Series which are due the first weeks of march

The new 100Hz model for 2009 replacing the immersely popular W4500

SPECS
FULL HD RESOLUTION 1920X1080
24P TRUE CINEMA
S-FORCE FRONT SURROUND
4X HDMI
USB 2.0 INPUT
ETHERNET
APPLICAST
PIANO BLACK COLOUR
SWIVEL STAND
XMB MENU
DYNAMIC CONTRAST 100.000:1(32":80.000:1,37":50.000:1)
CCFL BACKLIGHT
BRAVIA ENGINE 3
ADVANCED CONTRAST ENCHANCER
INTELLIGENT PICTURE
LIVE COLOUR
SCENE CELECT
MOTIONFLOW 100HZ WITH IB REDUCTION
ECO SETTINGS
8BIT PANEL

KDL-52W5500 (KDL52W5500) : Overview : BRAVIA TV : Sony

32",37",40",46',52"

W5710 MODEL

W5720 MODEL

W5730 MODEL

W5740 MODEL

Last post of part two

Last edited:
Hi there, AVF Virgin here:hiya:

Having read Threads 1 and 2 about the Sony W5500 series from start to finish & thoroughly confused myself - I thought I'd just ask your opinion:lease:

I am about to purchase my first ever flat screen TV and have decided to go for a 37" Sony Bravia. If there's only a cosmetic difference between the 37W5500 and the 37W5710 - WHY is there a price difference of £250 (Sony Centre).

On the web - the 37W5500 is £1049 and the 37W5710 is £799.........

Obviously, I like a bargain - but am in a panic that I'll open the box to the 37W5710 and there'll be something missing :nono:

Help please :lease:

its just that the sony centre keeps the ERP,while online retailers drop the price,there is no technical difference

I am a bit out of touch with the Sony LCD tvs and am looking at the moment to buy one. I have been looking at the 40W5500 and the Z4500 series but am not too sure which one to go for. Does the 200Hz really make a big difference or is it just a gimmick (as i have read in a few places)? Which one do you guys think is worth getting? Also does the W5500 series have 16:9? On Sony's website they only mention 14:9 in the specs page.

i am getting £1000 in gift vouchers for PCWorld and i have noticed that their price is quite expensive compared to other websites (incl Dixons). Does anyone know if PCworld do price match?

I am a bit out of touch with the Sony LCD tvs and am looking at the moment to buy one. I have been looking at the 40W5500 and the Z4500 series but am not too sure which one to go for. Does the 200Hz really make a big difference or is it just a gimmick (as i have read in a few places)? Which one do you guys think is worth getting? Also does the W5500 series have 16:9? On Sony's website they only mention 14:9 in the specs page.

i am getting £1000 in gift vouchers for PCWorld and i have noticed that their price is quite expensive compared to other websites (incl Dixons). Does anyone know if PCworld do price match?

personaly I would go for W5500: better HD Picture and better SD Pic.. W5500 is also this years model whereas Z4500 is last years model. The sound is bad though on W5500 and pretty good on Z4500 from what i've read. W5500 display ratio is 16:9. It features extra modes like 4:3 and 14:9 ratio, if you happen to have that source (correct me if I am wrong)

good luck :thumbsup:

So i presume that the W5500 is the latest and best lcd model currently offered by Sony?

So i presume that the W5500 is the latest and best lcd model currently offered by Sony?

at the moment: yes. However, the succesor of the one wich you are also interested in (Z4500) is almost on release and is called the Z5500. Dont know if its any good though. Waiting for the first reviews.

gotta ask this to the owners of the 46 inch W5500 model.
How many of you have experience clouding/backlight bleeding? is it as bad as on the 40 inchers?

i have had my 40" now for 7 weeks and in the day it is a perfect telly, but in the evenings and on dark scenes most of the left hand side looks like a light explosion. i have finally got hold of sony about this and an engineer is coming on wednesday to check it out, i'm gonna have to simulate a dark room, but sure if i put dark knight on blu ray it will show. i will report back on wednesday with his findings, but apart fromthat, love this telly and cant believe the picture quality with sky hd

Got the 46" last week and used it with a 480P Arcam Dvd component source and have to say the picture is stunning. There is no evidence of problems with backlight bleed and the blacks are oh so.... well black!

I'll let you know what it looks like with SD signal as soon as get Sky installed. Have to say I am very impressed so far :clap:

How many of you have experience clouding/backlight bleeding? is it as bad as on the 40 inchers?

I have this set since friday and no backlight bleed or clouding at all.

Does anyone happen to have a full list of settings for optimal performance for this set please?

I've had my 46" since 21st April and it's completely cloud free!

I can't claim it to be completely bleed free as there is a smidgen of this in the top corners, strongest in the top right - but this has not been detected by anyone in my family or any of my friends under normal viewing conditions. In fact, with the backlight still set on '8' (factory setting) it can only be seen in a completely dark room and with a 'no signal' input or totally dark scene. And only then if you give it a minute for your eyes to become accustomed to it.

No-one would ever know it was there without going to all that trouble to see it and I only mention it in the interests of 'full disclosure' - it is as near as dammit - perfect.

i have had an engineer come around today, and managed to simulate a dark room, and eureeka there it was two massive clouded spotlights on the left hand side of the screen, he agreed it was a problem and took some pictures to show to sony, he told me a whole new screen will be ordered and he will come to my house next week when it arrives and fit it here. i really am glad that hopefully this little glitch on an other wise perfect telly has be sorted easilly. if you got any problems i recommend you phone sony and get an engineer to have a look. will report back when new screen is fitted...:clap::clap:

Hi. Don't suppose you have any photos of what your screen looked like with the spotlights. I have a bit of a spotlight issue on the top right & left corners which really only show up when watching movies that have the black bands at the top and when I'm in the dark. They don't seem to be that bright but now that I know they are there I do seem to notice them more and more so I'm not sure if I should be asking for a replacement.

i have had an engineer come around today, and managed to simulate a dark room, and eureeka there it was two massive clouded spotlights on the left hand side of the screen, he agreed it was a problem and took some pictures to show to sony, he told me a whole new screen will be ordered and he will come to my house next week when it arrives and fit it here. i really am glad that hopefully this little glitch on an other wise perfect telly has be sorted easilly. if you got any problems i recommend you phone sony and get an engineer to have a look. will report back when new screen is fitted...:clap::clap:

to know if you were perhaps from my country. that way I'd know if sont would be willing to send out an engineer to my place as well if my future 46w5500 ever needs the same kinda attention yours needed :)

Got my 40" set today, and seems to have some clouding/bleeding down the left and right sides. Only visible when it's dark-ish, and during a dark/black scene, but very visible during those times.

I've heard various bits of advice on this. Am I supposed to give it time to settle down or not?

Hi all,
has anybody else had a problem when watching sky hd (pace box) where the screen will blank for a couple of seconds and then come back on, just as it does when first switching on the tv ??
i have had my set (40") for about two months and this has only recently started to happen, i have just changed my sky hd box from a thomson to a pace so im not sure if it may be something to do with it, its almost like the tv is losing contact with the box, it is very random on how often it occurs, tonight it did it three times in ten minutes, other times it can be days before it happens.

i had a previous sony 322 lcd about four years ago that had the same problem, in the end sony bought out a modification for the set that had to be taken to the sony repair center to have the mod fitted, after that it was fine, so im not sure if it could be a similar problem, i was just interested to see if anybody else has had this problem,

cheers

Just some quick question about KDL-52V5500 pretty please!!!

Does it have adjustable backlight ?

earphone output ?

pixel mapping on 1080p from PS3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom