32LG5700 dead/stuck pixel policy

w3d

Established Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a stuck pixel on my 32LG5700 which i bought in february. (I'm pretty sure it has always been there) I have contacted the company I bought it from and they say I have to have more than 2 dead pixels for the tv to be classed as faulty. Is this correct, as I only have one so theres pretty much nothing i can do.:(

The pixel is white and sometimes other colours from different angles so I assume it isn't a dead pixel as it would just be black. (its mainly noticeable on black/dark colours)

...I have tried the flashing videos & applications and also the tapping & massaging methods but no luck. Do I just have to live with it now?

I know how fussy this sounds as it is only one faulty pixel but it is hard to ignore especially when it is a brand new tv.

Any advice?

Last edited:
You need to find LGs policy, I think it is 4 dead/stuck pixels or 2 in close proximity, I personaly would not be happy with any. Not sure there is much you can do, always best to buy mail order, check and if not happy return within the 7 day cooling off period.

Andy.

That depends how much of a techno-guy you are. It could be forewer (or most sure newer) before another dead pixel apear.
I have a friend and his LCD monitor got 5 dead pixels after a month or two- the store wouldn't replace it untill 7 dead pixels. So he made a few dead pixels by himself and he has got a replacement.
Exploring inside the TV can kill you instantly because of electro-shock, so I wouldn't do such things. I would hope another dead pixel would apear and in the meanwhile give the store a hard times hoping they would replace it just to have peace from me.

I bought the tv from Discount electrical goods and appliances - Beyond Television UK but it would have been too late to return it as it was in the box for about a week untill i wall mounted it. I never really gave it a good check-over either as i had used them before with no problems and to be quite honest, i didn't notice the pixel straight away.

Its frustrating knowing that it this is a physical fault, and theres nothing i can do about it.

I have just rang LG customer service and they have arranged for a local company to contact me regarding a possible repair. I was hoping for a straight replacement, but the service on the phone was better than i expected. They confirmed that their pixel policy requires more than 2 faulty pixels but they said they will get mine looked at any way:thumbsup:.

...chances are; they might not be able to do anything so i will have to live with it. But atleast I wasn't given a definate 'NO' on the phone.

You could always go after the shop under the sales of goods act.

You would basically have them under the 'not fit for purpose' stance as you have a bought a TV and your viewing pleasure is greatly reduced becuase your constantly drawn to the dead pixel.

Despite what LG/Every other panel manufacturer will tell you dead pixels are not an acceptable defect.

Under the SOG your 'purchase' must be 'free from visible defects', if it isnt then send it back.

Really annoys me this one. Would you accept a brand new card with a scratch on it, nope.
Would you accept an item of clothing with a mark on it, nope...

So why companies says it's ok if some pixels dont work is beyond me.

Slim

You could always go after the shop under the sales of goods act.

You would basically have them under the 'not fit for purpose' stance as you have a bought a TV and your viewing pleasure is greatly reduced becuase your constantly drawn to the dead pixel.

Despite what LG/Every other panel manufacturer will tell you dead pixels are not an acceptable defect.

Under the SOG your 'purchase' must be 'free from visible defects', if it isnt then send it back.

Really annoys me this one. Would you accept a brand new card with a scratch on it, nope.
Would you accept an item of clothing with a mark on it, nope...

So why companies says it's ok if some pixels dont work is beyond me.

Slim

I agree with you, I can't understand why the manufacturers seem to have made their own rules on what is and isn't acceptable. Its not as if there is a disclaimer printed on the box stating that the tv may have defects. If they are going to enforce the 'dead pixel returns policy', it should be made clear before purchasing. As far as I'm concerned, every pixel on that panel has been paid for and one of them is faulty...faulty returns shouldn't be rejected.

Well I have been contacted by the local repair company who basically said they won't be able to do anything for 'just one' pixel, but again; they said they would have a look anyway. I had to tell them not to bother in the end as I gathered there wasn't really any point. There was also no achievable appointment times for me, unless i was to take a day off work - which I couldn't be bothered with.

So I am still not happy!:mad:

does anyone have the contact email address for lg uk customer service; The 'CONTACT US' page on their website isn't loading properly.

I have since had a visit from a repair engineer to make a report on my issue. LG have confirmed my entitlement to a replacement TV. They have provided me with an uplift reference number to quote to my retailer which should ensure I get an exchange on my TV.

I am still very dissapointed though, as"www.beyondtelevision.co.uk" insist that I should have the TV in all its original packaging in order for them to collect it free of charge. (which obviously after all this time, has been thrown away) Otherwise, I will have to arrange return postage at my own expense and will be held responsible for any damage caused in transit?!?:mad:
What a rediculous rule! Why should it make a difference if they collect it in its original packaging or an alternative box. I shouldn't be responsible for any postage charges, how was i supposed to know I would be receiving a faulty TV.
I am returning this months after the purchase date, their request for all packaging etc only suggests to me that they intend on restocking the item.

I will not be buying from BeyondTelevision again.

What would you do in my position; bight the bullet and pay the postage? (with the possibility that it will be damaged in transit)

...I have just looked over their terms and this shouldn't apply to my situation:

www.beyondtelevision.co.uk said:
7.1 A product is deemed to be faulty upon arrival if it shows symptoms of hardware failure preventing it’s basic operation. You must contact us within 7 days from the delivery date via email to report the fault. All original manufacturers packaging should be retained for returns/refund/warranty purposes. If your goods go faulty within 7 days and you have not kept the packaging you will be referred back to the manufacturer for a warranty claim or you can return the goods to us yourself via an insured courier. If you choose to return goods yourself and goods are received back to us damaged it will be your responsibility to claim for the damage from the courier and we will not issue a refund. When our engineers have confirmed the stated fault you will be offered the following options. A). A replacement item shipped to you. B). The item is repaired and shipped back to you. Once the item has been repaired it is no longer eligible for replacement. C). A full refund providing the product is in it’s original box and packaging and complete with all accessories (remote, instructions etc).

These TV is now 3 months old, the terms only apply to any issues within 7 days.

Last edited:
this shoudnt matter to you.. the item is faulty, it could have happened 3 weeks or 3 years down the line, its broken, unrepairable, and unsellable.
the manufacturer state this.

give them the information they need, tell them that its to be replaced, and get a swap on the same day, if they can do that, swap the tv's over, then just forget about them..
this, "send the tv back, then we might give you another" is nonsense, and shouldnt apply to you.

if they still are being a pain, then all i can suggest is you contact the CAB, or consumer direct, on 08454 04 05 06, and see how they see it.
failing that, a shed load of bubble wrap, and including the remote/manual,etc is the only way, i suppose.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom