philips 7603

Sorry for being a little insistent but how about the divx´s and mkv´s do they rock or not.:thumbsup:

Okay now i know what is banding, thanks.

What do you think about a 47 pfl 7623 d for € 990?

well ive thrown lots of vid files at it and it looks good, usually even when theyre low res as well.

Ive got seasons of old tv shows that look good, movement is smooth etc

even when streaming real time from my pc to the PS3, its GOOD if not great.

pretty great price too you got

Last edited:
thanks jendo78 i did wat u said & my pride&joy is bk up & running.no thanks 2 philips!! foned them a week ago & they still not got bk 2 me.they said they had heard there was a problem but said it was only a small amount if people having this fault!! my advice 2 EVERY 1 DON'T UPGRADE U'R TV.

Hi All,

I've just taken delivery of a 37PFL7603/10 from John Lewis. I'm quite pleased so far and settings posted earlier in this thread have helped me tweak the picture settings, many thanks.

However, soundwise, the set seems to suffer from a distinct lack of bass.
The set is currently running software version Q582E-0.64.28.0
This seems to be quite an early version, and I note in the information included in the software info page on the Philips support page that there has been a revision to increase preset bass levels.

Having read this thread, I am alarmed to see that many people seem to be having 'issues' with upgrades.

My question is, has anyone succesfully upgraded to the current software version available from Philips, 000.064.076.000 dated 3/4/09, and does it improve bass levels.

Thanks,

JP

Update is a doodle to do.

Down load file, extract it & put it onto blank memory stick.

Switch on TV, insert memory stick.

Tv will poweroff then power up.

Will do a check of the file once you confirm update it will proceed, takes couple of mins to do.

When finished asks you to remove stick.

Then turn off & on TV, its done.

Cant say had any issues with bass but then my original sw was a latter on.

More to do with EPG & some other subtle changes.

Robin...

Sorry to keep ressurrecting an old thread but as this TV is new to me, I'm still discovering things.. one of which is..

When you go into the installation menu and you get the option to assign a device to a particular input i.e. HDMI 1 - DVD or HDdigSTB for example, does this actually affect any settings or is it simply the case that it's giving the input a 'name'. The manual does not make it clear.
Also, I'm finding that if I change picture setting for one input eg HDMI 1, the changes are not reflected when I change to HDMI 2. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

JP

Thanks again, Robin.
Don't suppose I could trouble you for your picture settings, could I:)

Cheers,

same here, had the set a long time but never got the picture settings right.

any settings for ps3 use as well?

Hi, I've been looking for a 32 inch LCD for a bit and I've been really impressed with the Philips models PFL7603D and PFL7403D. They seem to look the best of the LCDs at my £500 budget.

However before I bought them, after doing a bit of digging, it seems there are people who have had problems with them(?). The firmware upgrade problems and the screen in general when using with films/games.

Can anybody please shed light if this is the case as I'll buy something else instead. I don't fancy playing about with the settings every time I have to switch between films and gaming.

Thanks in advance

Yes its naming the input.
quote]

not absolute true

for example, if you chose PC for one HDMI imput, you can change screen format on this imput.

If you chose something else "name" for HDMI imput, you got only auto format...

Last edited:
... and another thing... :lease: Should the digital audio out pass through 5.1 audio from a connected HDMI device to an amp? I've got a Sony HDD/DVD recorder connected via HDMI. I've set the HDD/DVD to output 5.1. If I connect the HDD/DVD direct to my amp, I get 5.1 sound. If I connect HDD/DVD via HDMI to TV, then digital audio out to amp all I get is 2.0 sound. :rolleyes: Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious? Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get all the kinks sorted out before my 28 day return period runs out from John Lewis:smashin:

PS Updated software this morning. All went well:thumbsup:

Contrast 85
Brightness 48
Colour 49
Sharpness 4/5
Tint Custom
RWP63
GWP63
BWP63
RBL8
GBL8
Pixel Plus off
HD Nat Mat off
Dynamic Contrast off
Noise reduction off
MPEG Artifact red off
Colour enhancement off
Active control off
Light sensor off

These are the settings I use for Sky HD and upscaling DVD playback. I sometimes use pixel plus and HD natural motion depending on my preference at the time. I find these to give me the most natural picture according to my taste.
I know many don't like the light sensor, but for me it works as my living room is very bright with natural light and this way, I dont have to fiddle with picture settings in the evening.

I don't have a PS3 so I can't comment as to their effectiveness for that.

Hope these are of use to someone.

PS still hoping if someone can tell me if the digital audio out should pass through 5.1 audio from an HDMI source as per my earlier post:lease:

My first post here and looking for some help...

I bought a 42inch model a few months ao and it's great (especially as it as only £414.99 brand new!) but after I've updated the firmware a few weeks ago when I connect my PC to the HDMI 2 with a DVI to HDMI adapter and a separate 3.5mm jack for the sound the sound doesn't work. I've set it up to give sound in the audio in settings on the HDMI 2 socket but no joy, it worked fine before the upgrade.

I've tried plugging my ipod in and no sound either so it's not the cable, also tried other HDMI's.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.

... and another thing... :lease: Should the digital audio out pass through 5.1 audio from a connected HDMI device to an amp? I've got a Sony HDD/DVD recorder connected via HDMI. I've set the HDD/DVD to output 5.1. If I connect the HDD/DVD direct to my amp, I get 5.1 sound. If I connect HDD/DVD via HDMI to TV, then digital audio out to amp all I get is 2.0 sound. :rolleyes: Any ideas?

Hi!

This is the answer I got from Philips Support when I asked them the same question You are asking now:
We would like to inform you that it happens every time when your media source (DVD, Blu-ray, ...) is protected with HDCP (Highh-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection), and is due to LEGAL REQUIREMENTS.

If your media device is connected with an HDMI cable to your TV, you will NOT have digital multichannel sound on the S/PDIF connector.

The signal on the S/PDIF (Digital Audio Out) connector will transform your digital signal to a lower specified format automatically (usually Dolby Pro Logic II).

I know that it doesn't help but at least You now know where are You standing (or some such piece of folk wisdom)... :hiya:

Cheers, MMesh.

Thanks for the info. Why Philips couldn't have put that in the manual, I don't know :confused:

It seems a bit strange to effectively disable what could be a useful feature for those of us with really old amps that only have one co-ax and one optical input and no HDMI, but looking on the bright side, it means an excuse for a new amp:smashin:

Hi. A couple of things. Does anyone know if the picture can be stretched to full screen while watching Blu-Ray through HDMI, and when I read peoples settings for sharpness I set mine at 7 as when change to 7 from a lower number the picture becomes noticably clearer and more detailed. Does setting the sharpness to 7 have this effect on anyone else. Sorry one last thing, some people claim to have game mode on this tv, I can not see it anywhere in the settings, please can someone let me know how to get this option step by step. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi. A couple of things. Does anyone know if the picture can be stretched to full screen while watching Blu-Ray through HDMI, and when I read peoples settings for sharpness I set mine at 7 as when change to 7 from a lower number the picture becomes noticably clearer and more detailed. Does setting the sharpness to 7 have this effect on anyone else. Sorry one last thing, some people claim to have game mode on this tv, I can not see it anywhere in the settings, please can someone let me know how to get this option step by step. Thanks.

Mine is Menu-TvMenu-Installation-Connections-select the input your ps3 or xbox is on then set the connection type as game

hi , i am having issues with the 47 inch , when i am switching from one hdmi to another or av ect the sound completly goes and i have to switch the tv off and then on for it to return any ideas please ive only had it 2 months

I wrote to Philips about imput lag, and they answer me:

"With regards to your query we can advise that you try connecting your PS3 to the TV via component cable, and try to use a different extension when connected via HDMI cable. Try also different PS3 picture settings. We would like to inform you that the points enclosed in your e-mail will be forwarded to the main Philips technical department for further investigation. We apologize for being unable to assist you directly on this occasion."

I try switch off active control and seems a little better.

Ih someone like to try something else....

I wrote to Philips about imput lag, and they answer me:

"With regards to your query we can advise that you try connecting your PS3 to the TV via component cable, and try to use a different extension when connected via HDMI cable. Try also different PS3 picture settings. We would like to inform you that the points enclosed in your e-mail will be forwarded to the main Philips technical department for further investigation. We apologize for being unable to assist you directly on this occasion."

I try switch off active control and seems a little better.

Ih someone like to try something else....

try selling it and finding a 7623 because it has a game mode... like me, no lag at all.

Please could somebody tell me where I could find an older version of the firmware or maybe e-mail me a copy of the file, I've tried the links posted earlier in the thread but they don't work!

I'm deperate to have sound back on my TV when my PC is connected, hasn't worked since I updated a month ago.

Thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom