KDL-55 / 46 / 40 HX853 Owners Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Julian,
I keep playing 3 similar youtube videos since I found out the tv had 2 dead pixels and 1 stuck pixel 2 weeks ago. My set has 3 minor cloud spots in the corners and it didn't go away.
It's only visible sometimes during the credits. When watching a movie or playing games I don't see it. I don't worry about it much.
You seem a lot less negative about the HX853 than you were last week (http://www.avforums.com/forums/17276176-post731.html) where you said:

Sorry to hear that mate. Next week I'll be returning my faulty TV (2 dead pixels, 1 stuck pixel, 3 cloudy spots, dirty screen, minor banding, flickering screen when pc is connected via HDMI and black screen flashing during HD freeview channels).

I was thinking of a second set but after this huge thread I decided to buy a different TV brand.
I'll probably go for the Samsung 60e6500 plasma TV.
I would not recommend the HX853 to anyone.

Has something changed? I saw your post yesterday about fixing the pc flickering issue but did you fix/minimise some of the other problems (except for the faulty pixels) via more playing with the settings?

Are you now planning to go for a replacement HX853 or are you still thinking of going to the e6500 plasma? Do you still stand by the last sentence in the quote above?

- Julian

Will try that tonight - let's hope it works:smashin:

I'm sure it will work. When I changed the setting to full pixel I also changed the digital broadcast picture mode.

HOME > display > video input setting > digital broadcast picture mode > optimise for text/graphics

When I switched the digital broadcast picture mode back to optimise for video then the black screen started to flash.

You seem a lot less negative about the HX853 than you were last week (http://www.avforums.com/forums/17276176-post731.html) where you said:

Has something changed? I saw your post yesterday about fixing the pc flickering issue but did you fix/minimise some of the other problems (except for the faulty pixels) via more playing with the settings?

Are you now planning to go for a replacement HX853 or are you still thinking of going to the e6500 plasma? Do you still stand by the last sentence in the quote above?

- Julian
Tomorrow morning I'll be returing the TV due to dead/stuck pixels and dirty screen (visible in white scenes eg. internet browser). Clouding and banding again is not visible during normal viewing.
I managed to fix the annoying black screen flashing and the pc flickering screen.
The supplier don't have the hx853 in stock anymore. He said the tv will be available in about 5 -8 weeks. That is too long for me and that's one of the reason I want another tv (60e6500 plasma tv delivered within 7 days :thumbsup:).

After fixing the 2 problems I would probably keep the hx853, but it has 2 dead and 1 stuck pixels. Dirty screen, clouding and banding are minimal.

Hi all

I got my 1st set 46HX850 exchanged for a 2nd set, both suffer from DSE (Banding).

I wonder whether this only occurs with screens that are manufactured in April 2012.

My current and exchanged set are both manufactured in April 2012.

Hi all

I got my 1st set 46HX850 exchanged for a 2nd set, both suffer from DSE (Banding).

I wonder whether this only occurs with screens that are manufactured in April 2012.

My current and exchanged set are both manufactured in April 2012.

Hi lammertsm,
My tv is also manufactured in April.

I'm sure it will work. When I changed the setting to full pixel I also changed the digital broadcast picture mode.

HOME > display > video input setting > digital broadcast picture mode > optimise for text/graphics

When I switched the digital broadcast picture mode back to optimise for video then the black screen started to flash.

I just tried the full pixel mode. It worked, the black flashing has gone, but now i get this very quick zoom in/out effect, usually when the picture changes its shot angle. A strange one, i will try this other one tonight and hope for the best:smashin:

I just tried the full pixel mode. It worked, the black flashing has gone, but now i get this very quick zoom in/out effect, usually when the picture changes its shot angle. A strange one, i will try this other one tonight and hope for the best:smashin:

The zooming you are getting at scene switches is a design weakness in the TV. Sony stores separate picture settings for Progressive and Interlaced picture modes. You have probably set your picture to 'Full Pixel' to eliminate overscan during a 1080i scene. However, you also need to repeat the setting procedure whilst a 1080p scene is showing to ensure 'Full Pixel' mode is retained for both picture formats and then you wont get the overscan turning on and off at certain picture transitions.

If you view the information bar at the top of the screen (the "?" symbol on the remote) whilst watching any of the BBC HD channels, then you'll see if it's 1080i or 1080p. Go into panel settings and make sure 'Full Pixel' is selected when it's showing 1080p and 1080i.

BTW after reading this thread for many weeks, I've given up my plan to purchase a 55HX853 and will now wait for the 55HX953 and see what that brings.

Greetings All.
Let me start by saying that this thread has pretty much taken over my life for the last few days as I took delivery of my brand new 55HX853 last Saturday. I was so excited, having read many many glowing reviews online and in the press etcand also cos i was moving from a 46 to a 55( I had a 2011 nx.. i know.. i know.. lol ) However it seems I have gotten a dodgy set too!!
The clouding is simply horrendous, especially in the bottom left hand corner of the screen which is where alot of the users here have been noticing it! To my mind there is definitely a dodgy batch of these sets out there!!
That being said, I have noticed very little (if any) DSE and no banding either!
I have already requested a replacement from my retailer (where i only paid £1600 for the set, a new bdps-490 player and four pairs of the 250 glasses) which should be coming next week. Fingers crossed that it will be a problem free set!!
Anyway, to my actual point. In all the posts I havent seen anyone say they've contacted Sony customer support to make a complaint. I did so and was told that they were unaware of the problems and would only take action upon receiving a few complaints so I would urge all you people who've had issues to give 'em a quick ring and lodge a complaint!

(0844 8466 555Our call centres are open :
Mon-Fri, 09hrs-18hrs (local time)
Bank Holidays :eek:ur contact centre is closed on national bank holidays
4p per minute from a standard BT line, charges from other networks may vary. )

Yes i know that they probably dont really care and that perhaps they have indeed sent out hand-picked sets to the reviewers and then put out sub-standard sets to the retail market, but everyone is prepared to ring retailers several times and all that happens is that they get another set that may or may not solve the problem. Surely lobbying the manufacturer might just let them know that we wont stand for sub-standard sets if nothing else...

Oh, I also feel compelled to say that this tv (apart from the terrible clouding) is the best picture Ive ever seen in both HD and 3D HD. It's breathtaking at times. I used Mark's settings as a guide then tweaked!

Wish me luck with my replacement set and also accept my good wishes to all out there who have had problems with this set and my sincere hopes that we all get what we want, a fantastic tv with very few faults!!

Pete

Oh, just a quick question, where do you find out when your set was manufactured?
I will be comapring the replacement set's manufacture date to see if there is anything in the "faulty april" manufacturing theory!!

Oh, just a quick question, where do you find out when your set was manufactured?
I will be comapring the replacement set's manufacture date to see if there is anything in the "faulty april" manufacturing theory!!

at the back of your tv

You can find it at the sticker, where the serial number also is noted, at the back of the screen.
Production date is also located at the box.

Greets from the Netherlands

The zooming you are getting at scene switches is a design weakness in the TV. Sony stores separate picture settings for Progressive and Interlaced picture modes. You have probably set your picture to 'Full Pixel' to eliminate overscan during a 1080i scene. However, you also need to repeat the setting procedure whilst a 1080p scene is showing to ensure 'Full Pixel' mode is retained for both picture formats and then you wont get the overscan turning on and off at certain picture transitions.

If you view the information bar at the top of the screen (the "?" symbol on the remote) whilst watching any of the BBC HD channels, then you'll see if it's 1080i or 1080p. Go into panel settings and make sure 'Full Pixel' is selected when it's showing 1080p and 1080i.

BTW after reading this thread for many weeks, I've given up my plan to purchase a 55HX853 and will now wait for the 55HX953 and see what that brings.

But surely a single programme does not broadcast in both 1080i and 1080p?
I'll give this a try tonight though. Many Thanks!

walrusoflove said:
Greetings All.
Let me start by saying that this thread has pretty much taken over my life for the last few days as I took delivery of my brand new 55HX853 last Saturday. I was so excited, having read many many glowing reviews online and in the press etcand also cos i was moving from a 46 to a 55( I had a 2011 nx.. i know.. i know.. lol ) However it seems I have gotten a dodgy set too!!
The clouding is simply horrendous, especially in the bottom left hand corner of the screen which is where alot of the users here have been noticing it! To my mind there is definitely a dodgy batch of these sets out there!!
That being said, I have noticed very little (if any) DSE and no banding either!
I have already requested a replacement from my retailer (where i only paid £1600 for the set, a new bdps-490 player and four pairs of the 250 glasses) which should be coming next week. Fingers crossed that it will be a problem free set!!
Anyway, to my actual point. In all the posts I havent seen anyone say they've contacted Sony customer support to make a complaint. I did so and was told that they were unaware of the problems and would only take action upon receiving a few complaints so I would urge all you people who've had issues to give 'em a quick ring and lodge a complaint!

(0844 8466 555Our call centres are open :
Mon-Fri, 09hrs-18hrs (local time)
Bank Holidays :eek:ur contact centre is closed on national bank holidays
4p per minute from a standard BT line, charges from other networks may vary. )

Yes i know that they probably dont really care and that perhaps they have indeed sent out hand-picked sets to the reviewers and then put out sub-standard sets to the retail market, but everyone is prepared to ring retailers several times and all that happens is that they get another set that may or may not solve the problem. Surely lobbying the manufacturer might just let them know that we wont stand for sub-standard sets if nothing else...

Oh, I also feel compelled to say that this tv (apart from the terrible clouding) is the best picture Ive ever seen in both HD and 3D HD. It's breathtaking at times. I used Mark's settings as a guide then tweaked!

Wish me luck with my replacement set and also accept my good wishes to all out there who have had problems with this set and my sincere hopes that we all get what we want, a fantastic tv with very few faults!!

Pete

I contacted Sony customer support to make a complaint for my first and also second set.

apologies mate, must have missed your post about complaining.

I think Sonys standard reply is to tell you that they have not recieved complaints, many people complained about the 923s problem and it took months for them to acknowledge it and then they tried to bury their head in the sand, same with the 853 I even sent an email to sonylistens and was told that banding and dse would be seen on sport and that it was just the way the screen was. yeah right. I am still looking myself at either a sharp or maybe the 953 if we get info in the next 3 months.

Just out of curiosity, did you get a 3rd replacement or have you moved to another brand? And what did sony say about the whole affair?

So you've given up on the 853 sammy?
Sorry for the familiarity mate but I feel like ive gotten to know you and share your pain in the last few days as I have been reading the thread non-stop. lol.
Were both the sets you tried manufactured in April ?
I would wait for the 953 but I've sold my old 46" and can't manage without a living room tv! That and the fact that it will no doubt be well over two grand when they do finally release it. A friend who works in my local sony centre said it was unlikely to be this year, more likely next spring as the 923 has been "fixed" and is the "flagship" for now.. not for 2012, but the continuing 2011 one.. if you know what I mean!
Its such a shame because apart from that terrible clouding bottom left (which is noticeable only in dark scenes, but very distracting) this is a stunning TV!
Im just keeping my fingers crossed that my replacement is not dodgy! I've already informed my retailer that if the replacement is April manufactured then I want to test it there (in a dark room) before lugging it home and all the other kerfuffle that accompanies the change over of a large set!
What are you gonna go for instead?
Plasma is out for me for many many intolerance reasons...
Thought this was gonna be the TV of my dreams...:rolleyes:

But surely a single programme does not broadcast in both 1080i and 1080p?
I'll give this a try tonight though. Many Thanks!

You might think so, but see here ...

" ... The Freeview HD platform has always been specified to provide a 1080p25 capability. This is why STBs are mandated to have a 1080p50 output to enable seamless up-conversion to a mode which is guaranteed to be present in all display devices. A great deal of material is shot natively at 1080p25 and there are significant advantages in maintaining 1080p25 through to the viewer's display. Within a single programme interlaced may be used for moving credits, cross-fades and studio shots whereas progressive may be used for location shot material.

Up until now this capability has not been exploited and 1080p25 material was encoded using a 1080i25 encoding mode. But after a software upgrade on the 22nd/23rd March the HD encoder supporting BBC HD on Freeview HD has been set-up to automatically detect progressive material and change
encoding mode appropriately. The encoded bitstream can only change at each GOP boundary to ensure decoders maintain a consistent display. This means that each coded video sequence either contains interlaced or progressive pic_struct values within the bitstream. The transitions between interlaced and progressive modes are entirely dependent upon how a programme has been made ... "

This change took place back in 2011 and all Sony Freeview HD TVs suffer from this subtle change in the way the BBC now transmit their HD programs.

Soooo excited, picking up my 46" HX853 tomorrow!

Reading some of this thread tho it seams there are a few potential issues I need to look out for.

What is the best way to look out for these? Play with the menus?/run a certain type of br? or maybe the PS3?

Also it looks like I need to check the month of manufacture? Seems like the April batch have more issues, when did this set first get made?

1 last thing, I went to my local Currys and they had no Sony sets or glasses in store, I read that somewhere there was a offer of BOGOF, anybody know where this is/was? Can I get any Sony specs or is there a model you would recommend?

Thanks! :)

So you've given up on the 853 sammy?
Sorry for the familiarity mate but I feel like ive gotten to know you and share your pain in the last few days as I have been reading the thread non-stop. lol.
Were both the sets you tried manufactured in April ?
I would wait for the 953 but I've sold my old 46" and can't manage without a living room tv! That and the fact that it will no doubt be well over two grand when they do finally release it. A friend who works in my local sony centre said it was unlikely to be this year, more likely next spring as the 923 has been "fixed" and is the "flagship" for now.. not for 2012, but the continuing 2011 one.. if you know what I mean!
Its such a shame because apart from that terrible clouding bottom left (which is noticeable only in dark scenes, but very distracting) this is a stunning TV!
Im just keeping my fingers crossed that my replacement is not dodgy! I've already informed my retailer that if the replacement is April manufactured then I want to test it there (in a dark room) before lugging it home and all the other kerfuffle that accompanies the change over of a large set!
What are you gonna go for instead?
Plasma is out for me for many many intolerance reasons...
Thought this was gonna be the TV of my dreams...:rolleyes:

lol no need to apologise, but yes for the moment I have given up on the 853, I only ever gave one set a chance but that was more to do with my experiences with the 923 from last year. I think I will wait for the 953 now or something similar as I would prefer local dimming, although having said that I just want a set with no banding and no dse :-(

I just set up my HX855 46". Replaced a malfunctioning Philips 9706. Looks good so far but I have a couple of questions:

All material comes from my desktop computer via HDMI. The Sony automatically chose "graphics scene". Is there a way to make it automatically change into "movie scene" when playing videos in mpc-hc? If not, does it matter if I keep using the graphics scene for proper 4:4:4 Pixel Format when watching movies? What's the difference between movie and graphics, aside from all those processing features that I wouldn't use anyways?

Last edited:
lol no need to apologise, but yes for the moment I have given up on the 853, I only ever gave one set a chance but that was more to do with my experiences with the 923 from last year. I think I will wait for the 953 now or something similar as I would prefer local dimming, although having said that I just want a set with no banding and no dse :-(
Do not try ES8000 a pile of cack, have you done any investigating in to the LG 960V fully Backlit nano,terrible reviews ,but as we have learnt not to take much notice of those, seemed to have lot's of problems for early buyers,but now the owners thread seems to suggest improvement,and price falling like a stone,but obviously a risk, but nothing new their.

Do not try ES8000 a pile of cack, have you done any investigating in to the LG 960V fully Backlit nano,terrible reviews ,but as we have learnt not to take much notice of those, seemed to have lot's of problems for early buyers,but now the owners thread seems to suggest improvement,and price falling like a stone,but obviously a risk, but nothing new their.

Can't try the LG range as the gaming lag is ridiculous and apparently the array banding is poor, I would love to find a good 923 but not much chance of that now, I will wait for 953 I think, shame the sharp elites are not over this way.

really is a bonkers situation to be in when you are waiting for Sony to supply a good tv because the other manufacturers are worse. Still my xbr8 is still going strong, it might hav eto last another year.

Soooo excited, picking up my 46" HX853 tomorrow!

Reading some of this thread tho it seams there are a few potential issues I need to look out for.

What is the best way to look out for these? Play with the menus?/run a certain type of br? or maybe the PS3?

Also it looks like I need to check the month of manufacture? Seems like the April batch have more issues, when did this set first get made?

1 last thing, I went to my local Currys and they had no Sony sets or glasses in store, I read that somewhere there was a offer of BOGOF, anybody know where this is/was? Can I get any Sony specs or is there a model you would recommend?

Thanks! :)
BOGOF on 3D glasses was available a couple of months ago at Currys on the 250's and also the Sony Centres .You can get 2 for 1 via J.L. but you have to purchase tv to qualify.Only my experience but i would make sure you are going to keep your 853 before taking the plunge on 3D glasses,i ended with glasses which are of no use at present,but 250's aren't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom