Samsung UE**ES8000 and all UE**ES ranges calibration thread

at work at mo so dont have the settings, but all i did was setup on a black picture at night and adjust all until the bleed went, i suspect the pic is darker now, but the bleed is bareable

Ok, if you can post them when you get a chance that would be good. I have no bleed but I'd like to be able to slightly darken the black bars so they're jet black without causing crush on the picture.

Ok, if you can post them when you get a chance that would be good. I have no bleed but I'd like to be able to slightly darken the black bars so they're jet black without causing crush on the picture.

my crazy settings still working on it for white balance

i set back to default and hmm im not sure

my crazy settings still working on it for white balance

i set back to default and hmm im not sure

Cheers though I can't see any difference so I'll keep at 25s for now ;)

makes the pic darker for me when i set and then reset back its brighter

You're right, the picture was darker but not the black bars. Messing with the WB settings especially the offset without a proper calibration is risky, there's a massive swing in colour between the settings.

It did help a little bit with the posterization though maybe it's just crushing it, haven't made my mind up yet.

About the black bars, they don't worry me to be honest, the main thing is the actual picture, I'd say I'm getting 95% jet black without crush, there#s no point in having it so dark you miss the detail.

You're right, the picture was darker but not the black bars. Messing with the WB settings especially the offset without a proper calibration is risky, there's a massive swing in colour between the settings.

It did help a little bit with the posterization though maybe it's just crushing it, haven't made my mind up yet.

About the black bars, they don't worry me to be honest, the main thing is the actual picture, I'd say I'm getting 95% jet black without crush, there#s no point in having it so dark you miss the detail.

when i look at pics like the below

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/dell2005_backlight_bleed2.jpg

i realise i dont have light bleed or much of it, its a little lighter in the corner but its nothing compared to this pic

Last edited:
It won't let me view the picture

I'd say mine isn't too bad either, I've posted lots of pics so won't post any more.

OK pleased with my TV the motion and voice controls are ace.
Using mostly Areanmans setup though Ive turned the backup up a little and they seem to be quite nice, used Avatar as a trail run. Ive also noticed the standard "Natural" mode look quite good, or is it just in this film, what do you guys think?

Not much bass on that?

I use my surround mostly so haven't really bothered with the TV sound, movie seems to be the best default but just put it in standard and mess with the equaliser until you're happy.

I use my surround mostly so haven't really bothered with the TV sound, movie seems to be the best default but just put it in standard and mess with the equaliser until you're happy.

Ok, what do you make of the "Natural" picture quality setting?

Hi! Any good settings for gaming (xbox360, ps3)? With game mode on I am still not convienced with image quality.
Thanks!

Ok, what do you make of the "Natural" picture quality setting?

They're a bit too bright for me with faces a bit orange, too much colour and I suspect Black Tone and dynamic contrast set to max.

It's not really bad but too OTT for me.

I’ve had my 55ES8000 for a week now so I thought I’d add the settings I got using the HD DVD version of the Digital Video Essentials (DVE) disc in my HD DVD player and the SD version in a Blu Ray player. This is what I got:
Brightness 45,
Sharpness 20 (maybe a bit less),
Colour 47,
Tint G49 R51.
Other settings I am using are purely subjective and are:
Picture Mode at Standard,
Back light 9,
Contrast 85.

With Picture Mode at Movie (horrible colours) and a variety of settings for backlight and contrast I still got the same calibrated results for the other settings.

In 3d was as above except colour at 49 and tint at 50/50.
Overall the TV is great :love: but I’ll post some of my minor negatives in the main thread.

Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I have the above tv and wondered what the biggest size usb stick the tv will take. I have tried 32gb sandisk usb and it worked fine. I then bought a 64gb and the tv failed to recognise it. Is this normal or is it a duff usb? my mac pics it up perfectly.

Thanks in advance troops.

awesome which sandisk usb is it

has anyone actually played around with white balance and the other settings i.e cyan , yellow , green etc... can you only do these adjustments in movie mode

Last edited:
@ Arenaman have played with most of the settings posted here. Yours seem to match my eyes the best with a slight tweaking. TV has no signs of bleed or torchlight at the moment.
Have not tried any 3D stuff yet.
Still sorting 2D.
Am now loving the set. "My 2nd". The first one had a fault.

has anyone used the expert patterns built into the menus.
how come no one seems to use them?
i set my brightness and colour tint/saturation but I'm not sure what I'm doing when it comes to contrast.any advice anybody?

@ Arenaman have played with most of the settings posted here. Yours seem to match my eyes the best with a slight tweaking. TV has no signs of bleed or torchlight at the moment.
Have not tried any 3D stuff yet.
Still sorting 2D.
Am now loving the set. "My 2nd". The first one had a fault.

Glad to hear it :smashin:

arenaman do you keep the same settings for 3d veiwing ?

Arenaman,

First I just want to thank you for your settings. I like them very much to say the least. However, Im wondering if you use the same settings regardless of the source you are watching? Do you use the same settings for sd material and hd material? Same settings for gaming etc? Just got my 2nd set because i thin purple line appeared on the 1st one and now I have to re-do all the settings again...

Also are you still using the same settings as displayed in post 97?

Last edited:
Whoops just realised that there is a seperate calibration topic here. So i will repost this here. :blush:

Well I have had this TV for just over 3 weeks now and I am pretty happy with it. When you get a good quality HD source going through it the picture can be stunning.

If anyone is interested I have posted the settings I am using along with some sample pictures. It goes without saying that viewing it yourself is going to look better than a photograph of the screen. For reference my TV is on the latest 1018 firmware.

The settings are a mixture of my own preference and ones which previous users have posted.

The first two samples are of the Xtra-Factor on ITV2 HD via a Sky box and the third is of Coraline on Blu-Ray.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 11
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 43
Sharpness: 30
Colour: 54
Tint: 50/50

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RBG Only Mode: Off