Sony Bravia HX823 TV Thread (46/55HX823)

HaRd2BeAr

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Thought i would get the ball rolling. :)

Have had the Sony Bravia 46HX823 since the 12th of December and i am loving it.:D

The black levels, colors, motion are all excellent, even the viewing angles are great for an edge lit lcd.:smashin:

Uniformity is also very good. I do have the crease on all for sides but from my seating distance of 10/11 feet it is a non issue.

Here are my settings.

Scene Cinema
Picture mode Cinema 1
Backlight 5
Contrast 94
Brightness: 48
Colour: 50
Hue: 0
Sharpness: 40
Colour temperature Warm2
Noise reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Off
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Clear
Film-mode Auto 1
Black corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Colour Off
Detail/Edge/ enha. Off
R Gain -5
G Gain 0
B Gain 0
R Bias 0
G Bias 0
B Bias 0

Here are some picture, be good to see other owner set ups.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/286946d1326845041-sony-hx823-any-owners-1.jpg

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/286948d1326845065-sony-hx823-any-owners-3.jpg

Previously on Duronic Stand.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/287042d1326897599-sony-hx823-any-owners-1.jpg

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/287043d1326897608-sony-hx823-any-owners-2.jpg

Any questions just ask me, if i can i will try and help. :)

Aaron

Last edited:
hi
i thought they sorted the crease problem out in the later batches?? how bad is yours and what should i look for when i get mine?
wow thats a lot of setting for me to play around with lol
cheers sean

Last edited:
hi
i thought they sorted the crease problem out in the later batches?? how bad is yours and what should i look for when i get mine?
wow thats a lot of setting for me to play around with lol
cheers sean

I am not aware of Sony sorting out the crease issue, being honest with you i can see it but of all the other issues out there in the world of tvs it is not that big a deal imo.

My advice don't look for it, i keep going looking for trouble and it ruins your enjoyment. When i have stopped looking for things and actually watched it i have Thoroughly enjoyed it. :smashin:

Yep a lot of settings, i may alter very slightly along the way but will make sure i keep the thread up to date for others. ;)

Aaron

now im staring to worry about the crease befor i even get the tv. how can sony not have sorted this out:mad: so they are still selling defective tv's

Last edited:
I got my 55 yesterday and I cannot see any creases at all however I have not gone looking for them and I won't be, cracking TV and thoroughly enjoying it.

Running similar settings to you Aaron but I have my contrast in the 70's,but I only got it last night and have only had a light play so far.

I got my 55 yesterday and I cannot see any creases at all however I have not gone looking for them and I won't be, cracking TV and thoroughly enjoying it.

Running similar settings to you Aaron but I have my contrast in the 70's,but I only got it last night and have only had a light play so far.

Glad your enjoying it. :smashin:

Interestingly i did have contrast at 70 but found it was crushing shadow detail a little. Only upped it back to 90 after asking Mark, who reviewed the 55HX823 what he had that set at. 93 for anyone who is interested.

In terms of contrast, I was able to push the review sample pretty hard without clippping or discolouration in the whites.

Aaron

now im staring to worry about the crease befor i even get the tv. how can sony not have sorted this out:mad: so they are still selling defected tv's

As i have said in my opinion it is a non issue, i am the only one in my family who has even noticed it.

Of all the issues with other brands this year i would say Sony are no where near the worst offenders.;)

If you think about it how many threads are there of people complaining about the crease issue on their Sony.......there are non, that is how big a deal it is.

Aaron

Just to let you guys know there is a new update out, i haven't done it as of yet. Was going to but my modem keeps crashing so don't want to brick my tv.:rolleyes:

About this upgrade (18/01/2012)

This file updates your TV set firmware to version PKG3.904EUA, and provides the following benefits:

Improvements in this version:

Improves TV performance during 1080i / 1080p transitions
Applicable models

KDL-65HX920 / HX923 / HX925

KDL-60NX720 / NX723 / NX725

KDL-55EX720 / EX721 / EX723 / EX725 / NX720 / NX723 / NX725 / HX820 / HX823 / HX825 / HX920 / HX923 / HX925

KDL-46CX520 / CX525 / EX520 / EX521 / EX524 / EX525 / EX720 / EX721 / EX723 / EX724 / EX725 / EX726 / EX727 / EX728 / EX729 / HX720 / HX723 / HX725 / NX720 / NX723 / NX725 / HX820 / HX823 / HX825 / HX920 / HX923 / HX925

KDL-40CX520 / CX521 / CX523 / CX525 / EX520 / EX521 / EX523 / EX524 / EX525 / EX720 / EX721 / EX723 / EX724 / EX725 / EX726 / EX727 / EX728 / EX729 / HX720 / HX723 / HX725 / NX720 / NX723 / NX725

KDL-37EX521 / EX524 / EX525 / EX720 / EX723 / EX725

KDL-32CX520 / CX521 / CX523 / CX525 / EX421 / EX425 / EX520 / EX521 / EX523 / EX524 / EX525 / EX720 / EX721 / EX723 / EX724 / EX725 / EX726 / EX727 / EX728 / EX729

KDL-26EX320 / EX321 / EX325

KDL-24EX320 / EX325

KDL-22EX320 / EX325

Well after returning this model five times (Sony really need to look at their quality control, luckily Currys have been very understanding) I have found a set that I am fairly happy with (46HX823).

Like the original poster I still have creasing present on both sides of the screen and backlight bleed located on the bottom corners but this is better than the four 823s I previously had, from what I have seen I believe most models will have this present to an extent.

I wish those buying this set good luck, it really is hit and miss but it could be a good risk to take as the HX823 has great picture quality (lovely black levels and detail, minimal booming), very good 3D with little crosstalk, great inbuilt features and with a rather low price tag then other models out there, it could be worth the gamble. I only hope whoever you buy it from do not mind returns.

Well after returning this model five times (Sony really need to look at their quality control, luckily Currys have been very understanding) I have found a set that I am fairly happy with (46HX823).

Like the original poster I still have creasing present on both sides of the screen and backlight bleed located on the bottom corners but this is better than the four 823s I previously had, from what I have seen I believe most models will have this present to an extent.

I wish those buying this set good luck, it really is hit and miss but it could be a good risk to take as the HX823 has great picture quality (lovely black levels and detail, minimal booming), very good 3D with little crosstalk, great inbuilt features and with a rather low price tag then other models out there, it could be worth the gamble. I only hope whoever you buy it from do not mind returns.

Hi Dan,

Glad although it took quite a few attempts that you finally got one you are happy with. :smashin:

Do you find the edge bleed goes away with LED Dynamic Control on Low/Standard.

Also What picture settings are you using Scene/mode?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Dan,

Glad although it took quite a few attempts that you finally got one you are happy with. :smashin:

Do you find the edge bleed goes away with LED Dynamic Control on Low/Standard.

Also What picture settings are you using Scene/mode?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hello Aaron,

I have LED Dynamic Control on standard but their is little difference, however I believe this is something which is a result of thin LED panels and something I can live with, my settings are nearly the same as yours just backlight is at 5 and colour temp is Warm1 :)

Scene Cinema
Picture mode Cinema 1
Backlight (previously 4) 5
Contrast 90
Brightness: (previously 46)48
Colour: 45
Hue: 0
Sharpness: (previously 30)40
Colour temperature Warm2
Noise reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Dot Noise Reduction Off
Reality Creation Off
Smooth Gradation Off
Motionflow Clear
Film-mode Auto 2
Black corrector Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
Gamma 0
LED Dynamic Control Standard
Auto Light Limiter Off
Clear White Off
Live Colour Off
Detail/Edge/ enha. Off
R Gain -5
G Gain 0
B Gain -5
R Bias 0
G Bias 0
B Bias 0

Had a little play with my settings, items in bold are the changed settings. ;)

Is the UK set any different from the US one? At the moment i'm using the same settings posted on the avsforums

Well after finding 4 823's in various stores none had noticible crease issues. Mind you the flagship 923 I saw was evil and for me ruined by vile creases! I was not even out looking for it on the 923, but damn no way I could ever own such a problem on my screen.
Still the 823 is still looking a deal for me so far, was even thinking of asking if I could have one of the crease free models on display ;)

I will say so far the 823 in all shops looked impressive, its a shame stupid stores have them running 3D - with No Glasses! not exactly showing off to the public! they seriously need to just stick a bloody good 2D Blu Ray in instead.

hi
i just got my 55hx823 on saturday was so impressed with it we just orderd a 46" for the bedroom
cheers sean

I have recently purchased a 55HX823 but cant seem to find Cinema mode in picture settings to try your setup. Can you direct me? thanks:)

my setup

DSC02108.jpg

still need to replace my amp and speaker setup

cheers sean

Last edited:
Got a 55HX823 yesterday, and I'm very pleased with it so far. There's some noticeable clouding along the top edge of the screen and another patch of it just above where the Sony logo is, but I'll be able to live with it. It appears to be much better than the strong backlight bleed on my old 46W5710, anyways.

I still have no idea what this "crease" thing is supposed to be though, I can't see anything wrong with the edges of the screen.

Watched Tron Legacy in 3D to christen the TV, holy hell those IMAX bits looked amazing.

hi geoff
dont look for the crease and you wont notice it, i nearly didnt buy my tv's because of this problem. but im so glad i did watching the super bowl in glorious hd on a big screen will be so cool cant wait, just hope my team play better than yesterday:laugh:
cheers sean

Got a 55HX823 yesterday, and I'm very pleased with it so far. There's some noticeable clouding along the top edge of the screen and another patch of it just above where the Sony logo is, but I'll be able to live with it. It appears to be much better than the strong backlight bleed on my old 46W5710, anyways.

I still have no idea what this "crease" thing is supposed to be though, I can't see anything wrong with the edges of the screen.

Watched Tron Legacy in 3D to christen the TV, holy hell those IMAX bits looked amazing.

Glad your enjoying it, what settings are you using?

Thanks,

Aaron

hi Aaron
what make of wall bracket did you use, im thinking of wall mounting mine, to make way for a new speaker setup or i might just buy kef eggs space is a problem when it comes to speakers:(
cheers sean

hi Aaron
what make of wall bracket did you use, im thinking of wall mounting mine, to make way for a new speaker setup or i might just buy kef eggs space is a problem when it comes to speakers:(
cheers sean

Here is the one i bought it came in one piece and i am really pleased with it. :smashin:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-PLB123M-Adjustable-Bracket-Screens/dp/B001PHBZFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327329187&sr=8-1

Only goes up to 50inch though, but they do this one which goes up to 60inch.

Duronic PLB123B EXTRA SLIM Adjustable Black Wall: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Exact same make as the stand with bracket i have.

Aaron

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
My 55 wall mounted taken behind where the sofa is.

Set still continues to impress me, star wars a new hope tonight on blu ray to enjoy

584441-albums2061-picture10976.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom