Toshiba XV635 Thread *Part 2*

Im gonna call them on my day off and ask them why we cannot download it like the people in the US.

Will suck if we have to have an engineer round to do it.. i hate waiting on engineer types on arriving and having to wait in all day.

Let us know how you get on as I'm not going to be waiting around for an engineer either. I understand the argument that the less tech-savvy may need an engineer to do the update for them, but the last firmware update I applied was available for download on the Toshiba Italy website, so why not give us this option again?

another allday run in on the tv and still nothing wrong with the sound and hopefully there won't be lol

really pleased with it so far :thumbsup:

So are the Toshiba XV650 & ZV650 TVs I've just lovingly stroked new models or just chineasy (asian) variants of the existing 635's in the UK ??

Well i called Toshiba today and they took all my details and said they were going to pass it along to their repair centre in my area, who will get back to me within 3 working days and organise to get the tv fixed, i also go told they would upload a new firmware to the tv.

He didnt go into to much detail about anything else, but it does seem that you will have to call them up and give them your name etc and the serial number of your tv, they will also ask for the date of purchase and where you bought it from.

He didnt have a clue when i said "why can you not just upload the firmware to your website"

So get calling and register to get your tv fixed.

I just had my phone call from Toshiba, they have informed me Comet is going to do the repair as they have taken on the warranty repairs.

I had a pop at him and told him it was unacceptable, I am self employed and will require a day off work. Needless to say he then got shirty when I asked him to escalate it to HQ, why are the Americans and Italians getting FW updates via the internet and the Brits have to get a "Engineering" visit, I use that term loosely.

Disgusting attitude from Toshiba.

I just had my phone call from Toshiba, they have informed me Comet is going to do the repair as they have taken on the warranty repairs.

I had a pop at him and told him it was unacceptable, I am self employed and will require a day off work. Needless to say he then got shirty when I asked him to escalate it to HQ, why are the Americans and Italians getting FW updates via the internet and the Brits have to get a "Engineering" visit, I use that term loosely.

Disgusting attitude from Toshiba.

Thats strange, i got my tv from Comet also.. and i got a call from people called A1 TV Services here in my City.. they said that Toshiba has got them to repair my TV.. and they are well aware if the issue, I said, what, just for a firmware update, and i got told no. They said they have to replace the main board which has an updated Firmware, Something to do with UK models apparently (i assume the main board change has new sound components on it)

They are just waiting to get the boards in then they are going to call me to arrange a time to get it fitted.

So anyone who is waiting on a firmware update, forget it.. get on the phone to Toshiba asap.

I had the sound issue once since i updated the firmware, just before Christmas if i remember, but i mainly use it via my AV receiver these days and i wouldn't send it back just for that. However this afternoon i was watching the BR of Avatar and it was so stuttery i couldn't believe it. I conected my Sony 360 to my old LCD and no problems. Is there any setting i need to alter?

However this afternoon i was watching the BR of Avatar and it was so stuttery i couldn't believe it. I conected my Sony 360 to my old LCD and no problems. Is there any setting i need to alter?

Do you have film stabilisation set to 'standard'?

does anyone know where I can get the full manual for the TV? the scrap of paper that came with it is next to useless for anything more advanced then plugging it in and turning it on lol

ps. preferably not a PDF link please, I can't open them (PS3 browser)

does anyone know where I can get the full manual for the TV? the scrap of paper that came with it is next to useless for anything more advanced then plugging it in and turning it on lol

ps. preferably not a PDF link please, I can't open them (PS3 browser)

The full user manuals are at www.toshiba-om.net but they are in PDF format I'm afraid, unless you've got some other way to view or someone to download for you.

quick update lads, I was contacted out of the blue by Toshiba directly giving me details of how they are going to fix this problem and stated that it differs depending on who you purchased the tv from... in my case it was comet (uh oh) I was then told to contact comet on 0844xxxxxx which I did and was given the runabout but finally I got through and was told an engineer will be making a visit between 8am-6pm yesterday.

I had a call from the guy saying between 1-3 and low an behold by 3:30 he didnt show so I phoned up comet and told them to poke it, so he is now coming friday between 8-1pm :(

Toshiba told me I had to arrange repair through Amazon, since they bought the warranty. Amazon told me they couldn't fix it, they could only refund or replace it ...and that they were out of stock, so could only replace. I told Amazon to contact Toshiba and didn't hear back.

Today I got this email:

I can confirm that we have booked your Television in for a Repair to resolve the Sound Distortion Issue. Your Nearest Toshiba Approved Repairer will contact you within the next 3 Working Days to arrange a date to Repair your Television.

I think I'll pass on an engineer visit. I can't be bothered waiting around for an engineer to tear my TV apart, as the problem is very infrequent.

quick update lads, I was contacted out of the blue by Toshiba directly giving me details of how they are going to fix this problem and stated that it differs depending on who you purchased the tv from... in my case it was comet (uh oh) I was then told to contact comet on 0844xxxxxx which I did and was given the runabout but finally I got through and was told an engineer will be making a visit between 8am-6pm yesterday.

I had a call from the guy saying between 1-3 and low an behold by 3:30 he didnt show so I phoned up comet and told them to poke it, so he is now coming friday between 8-1pm :(

I got mine from comet and they are having nothing to do with my repair. Its a local repair centre that will be fixing mine.

Well today is the day and I am sat in waiting for the repair bloke.

I got mine from comet and they are having nothing to do with my repair. Its a local repair centre that will be fixing mine.

You should have been referred to Comet to affect the fix. It would appear to be a mistake by Toshiba but either way you get the fix.:)

Sweet, the bloke turned up for 2minutes. USB Stick.

Firmware now reads: 2.1.73.1 Apr 22 2010 - 09:37:15 FW:40

Hmmmm what happend to the "we need to change the main board and install the new firmware on it" like i got told :confused:

Hmmmm what happend to the "we need to change the main board and install the new firmware on it" like i got told :confused:

:suicide:

Come on Toshiba, what are you playing at?

(Hello, new on AV btw...)

I note that Amazon have dropped their stock of this, as have Tesco. It seems to be on the way out. Is anyone aware of a stockist who does this for £550 or less, as both Tesco and Amazon used to?

Hi,

I used to own a 32WLT66 and now just bought a 37XV635 from Richer Sounds for £499. I paid an extra £49 for a *5* year warranty.

Great TV. Was last one "on display" at the Preston branch although if you check out their website they have 1 each left at a few stores round the country.

Worked out good for me because:

- £550 with 5 yr warranty. :thumbsup:
- Was powered up in the shop so I could check for dead pixels before buying and any probs with screen in general - all OK.
- Took my laptop and Asus O!Play with me to check for compatibility - Richer Sounds dudes were OK with me plugging in and testing them - they were very helpful chaps.

Now a proud owner of a 37XV635 ready for the world cup and 5 years assurance.

Now need to look into the firmware version and get Tosh Engineers out to update if it needs it.

:D

BTW, if you buy a 37XV635 from now to the world cup (or other model in the promotion) you can get your full cash back if England win the World Cup?

Either Google "Toshiba Football Promotion" or go to https://www.toshibafootball.com/index.asp for more info.

:arty:
:uk: Come on England!!! :clap:

Last edited:

Hopefully this will get released on their website or unofficially. I'm not taking a day off work and sitting inside for a simple fw upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom