Samsung 7020 Reviews anywhere?

Indeed you have, the site mikl1984 links to carry some good Samsung stuff..service manuals...etc he also has a long running thread on here with service menu settings for most Samsung TV's.

Curly

The link is dead... So I missed it too. :)

the link is still active for me...should lead you to a Russian web page if you click on the link that has the arrow pointing down it will start the download of the file.

Curly

Excellent, very handy info. :)

the link is still active for me...should lead you to a Russian web page if you click on the link that has the arrow pointing down it will start the download of the file.

Curly

I got a page on that site with a Russian statement, which translated (via google) says the file is not available. Hmmm.. :( No idea why I can't get it but you can. I'll have another look later at home again as I can't access it from work anyway.

Edit: working now, odd.. Cheers :)

Last edited:
Silly question but how do you translate it once it has downloaded. Forget the question it is in english.

Last edited:
The 40" version of this TV seems very interesting to me.

Does anyone have any details on what this set is like for gaming?

I have been using my Xbox 360 on the 40" version for a couple of days now, and I have been extremely impressed. Only tried two games so far (Fifa 09 and Burnout Paradise) - both look exceptional! I am not using the dedicated Game Mode but have had no problems at all. I did activate Game Mode out of interest and there is a definite drop in quality - but then again, that's what it's for!

Overall, I have been delighted with the set. SD quality is excellent and HD is truly superb.

I have not noticed any dimming issues, with the exception of the credits at the end of a movie (who cares?!? :D). Viewing angles are superb.

Only downside I can see (or should that be hear?) is the sound quality which is tinny and weak. I am using a seperate 5.1 audio system so that's not an issue for me at all. I would not recommend this tv to anyone without an external sound system - however I would definitely recommend it to everyone else.

I have a few updates with regard to ownership of this TV.
1) The 7000 was reviewed on the Gadgetshow this week as a low energy test vs quality and won the challenge with a 4G rating - Go to the gadgetshow website (FiveFWD - The Gadget Show: Best buys, reviews and videos from the show) for more details

2) I previously reported the delay in picture vs the optical sound output when using SkyHD box. Well I have resolved this. Under system setup there is an option under the sound setup that allows you to delay the optical output by up to 200ms. For me it took the full 200ms to compensate but now I can use the Amp with optical output from the SkyHD box rather than using the Optical output on the TV itself

3) As previous people have mentioned, I too emailed Nullriver about support for the Samsung TV itself to which they responded that at this time they only support the PS3. Shame, and read into that what you will

4) I have tested twonky on the MAC which seems to be about as good as it gets for software (Still not pause control etc)

5) Previous to owning the Samsung I bought an Acer Aspire RAID box which I primarily bought to secure files. However I have since been able to permanently map a drive from my MAC to the Acer and store all of my media on the Acer Aspire which is seen by the MAC as local drives; however it has a full uPNP and Itunes media server built into it and I can report that the Samsung and the PS3 both support this BUT I still get no real control of the file (pause etc)

Paul

hi guys,

Can anyone kindly advise me about this ue7000 led tv ?
I just saw the review of ue6000 version in this forum and it was not highly recommended?

I have just ordered the pioneer pdplx5090 for 2100£(incl 5 years guarantee)and the tv technicians are absolutely advising me on pioneer rather than samsung LED tvs !
The retailer also said that there is a new samsung 46ue8000 series coming for 2199 in few days! So again, I have fallen in doubt about what to do ?

I heard that this LED based tvs are bit patchy in dark scenes especially , which was reported in CNET and other sites ?

So, please let me know your advise , shall I go for Pioneer pdp-lx5090 or samsung 46ueb8000 ?

kind regards
vasa

hi guys,

I just saw the review of ue6000 version in this forum and it was not highly recommended?

I have just ordered the pioneer pdplx5090 for 2100£(incl 5 years guarantee)and the tv technicians are absolutely advising me on pioneer rather than samsung LED tvs !
The retailer also said that there is a new samsung 46ue8000 series coming for 2199 in few days! So again, I have fallen in doubt about what to do ?

I heard that this LED based tvs are bit patchy in dark scenes especially , which was reported in CNET and other sites ?

So, please let me know your advise , shall I go for Pioneer pdp-lx5090 or samsung 46ueb8000 ?

kind regards
vasa

I'd just pop along to your local Curry's/Dixons store to see if you can have a look at the set. I was certainly VERY impressed with the picture on the side-lit LED 7000.

The Pioneer is indeed a reference plasma set, however I do like my gaming (hours at a time) and the risk of plasma burn or image retention is too high, so I'm picking the TFT route.

Hmmmmm, strange, no matter what i do with mines it will not support 1080p and believe me i have tried :D Mines is also an older model (not an elite) with no HDMI connection. Wonder if there is a difference in the models allowing the 1080p to be set on yours, definitely won't do it on mines?

I have a UE46B7020 with an XBOX 360 connected via component.
I think you will find you can set it to 1080p over component.
My son was playing Lego Batman last night 1920x1200 60hz.
My XBOX is an original - not elite.

Hmmmmm, strange, no matter what i do with mines it will not support 1080p and believe me i have tried :D Mines is also an older model (not an elite) with no HDMI connection. Wonder if there is a difference in the models allowing the 1080p to be set on yours, definitely won't do it on mines?

1080p was definitely selectable over component on my launch 360, once the relevant dash update came along (at the end of 2006 I think).

I wonder if it is game specific if it is selectable or not, will need to have a play on soemthing else rather than COD4 to see :confused:

1080p was definitely selectable over component on my launch 360, once the relevant dash update came along (at the end of 2006 I think).

hi guys,

kind regards
vasa

Hi Vasa,

The price you have been given for the 46ue8000 is around the £1700 mark if you look around using a price search. They are due very soon so the 9000 model will not be that far away either. It all depends how long you want to wait for new technology. The pdplx5090 gives a stunning picture but to buy now at £2100 puts me off. This TV was priced at £1750 in March this year so you are being stung by a considerable price hike (the old price included the 5 year Pioneer warranty). The new technology has the attraction of using much less power.

Even more food for thought,;)

Pete

Hi Vasa,

The price you have been given for the 46ue8000 is around the £1700 mark if you look around using a price search. They are due very soon so the 9000 model will not be that far away either. It all depends how long you want to wait for new technology. The pdplx5090 gives a stunning picture but to buy now at £2100 puts me off. This TV was priced at £1750 in March this year so you are being stung by a considerable price hike (the old price included the 5 year Pioneer warranty). The new technology has the attraction of using much less power.

Even more food for thought,;)

Pete

Thank you for ur suggestion and it seems the pioneer prices have increased quite a lot recently due to pound value.But anyhow, in the end,,,I am going with Pioneer Plasma which is being recommended by almost everyone.

SO, going to Pioneer pdp-lx5090 for now.

Thank you for ur suggestion and it seems the pioneer prices have increased quite a lot recently due to pound value.But anyhow, in the end,,,I am going with Pioneer Plasma which is being recommended by almost everyone.

SO, going to Pioneer pdp-lx5090 for now.

I am sure you will be absolutely delighted with the picture :thumbsup:

Pete.

I am sure you will be absolutely delighted with the picture :thumbsup:

Pete.

The amount of good comments am hearing about the tv is incredible.And my expectations are also running high.Hopefully in future down the line, I will choose a samsung LED, but for now my votes to pioneer, thank you for all the comments here.

Hi,

I've just seen the Samsung and the Sony 46W5500 in John Lewis pretty much side by side. Both have received very good reviews. My question is how reflective do owners find the screen on the Samsung? Seeing them in the shop the Samsung was highly reflective, whilst the few reflections in the Sony were significantly less obvious, probably due to the more "matt" screen finish.

The reflectivity of the screen is my only concern with the Samsung. In my setup I will be sitting directly in front of the screen, which itself has it's back to the only window in the room. My lighting is on dimmers on the side walls and will not themselves cause any relections on the screen. Does anyone think the high reflectivity of the Samsung will cause any issues in this setup?? Any input greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've just seen the Samsung and the Sony 46W5500 in John Lewis pretty much side by side. Both have received very good reviews. My question is how reflective do owners find the screen on the Samsung? Seeing them in the shop the Samsung was highly reflective, whilst the few reflections in the Sony were significantly less obvious, probably due to the more "matt" screen finish.

The reflectivity of the screen is my only concern with the Samsung. In my setup I will be sitting directly in front of the screen, which itself has it's back to the only window in the room. My lighting is on dimmers on the side walls and will not themselves cause any relections on the screen. Does anyone think the high reflectivity of the Samsung will cause any issues in this setup?? Any input greatly appreciated.

I have a 7020 and have hung it on the wall opposite the window.
I sit with a window behind me when i watch TV and if i look for the reflection i can see the window but the last TV i had was a matt finish and during the day i could hardly see the picture.
I do think this is much better and like i said it is only when i look or it is a dark image i notice anything.
I had the same concern about the reflection from the screen but i find it fine.

Hope that helps.

No problems at all with the reflection on my 40" 7020. My livingroom is fairly bright and the reflection is really only evident when the set is off.

Other than that, this TV is simply stunning when properly calibrated, my settings as follows:

Colour 42
Brightness 50
Sharpness 50
Backlight 10
100hz Motion Clear
Digital NR off

For the first time ever I had to squint when watching bright sunshine on Blu-rays, absolutely stunning!

Hi - will have a play with those settings later! :thumbsup:
Have you set the same settings for all inputs? Blu-ray, sky etc?
How did you calibrate out of interest?

Thanks, Paul

I have 2 quick questions for owners of this beautiful tv:

1. any trouble with playing .avi files?

2. has anyone got this tv and a mac? any compatibility issues?

You'll be able to get it to play video files with most DLNA servers on the Mac, but will have no pause, rewind, or fast forward. That seems to be the common experience so far.

I have an old Xbox 360; no HDMI only component and I can confirm that I get 1080p

Paul

I have 2 quick questions for owners of this beautiful tv:

1. any trouble with playing .avi files?

1) It will depend on the codec used to compress the file. AVI files can be compressed using many different codecs. Most that I have are DIVX and these seem fine. You may also find that if a weird audio codec has been used you may see video but no sound

2) As mentioned before yes I have tested many. The best I can find is Twonky although unfortunately this is NOT open source, but it does have some nice additions such as Streaming Youtube to your TV. As I have mentioned and others confirmed there is no real control of the playback, just play, stop and skip to next track.

Paul

Interesting thread.

The Samsung B7000 has just been tested on a Danish website - the test is very positive - the only major drawback is trailing. Can any owners confirm this. The site has posted a small video on Youtube to illustrate the issue. The test was a 46"

Trailing issue?

Test in Danish.

Shortly the review will probably also be available here: FlatpanelsHD.com

Any input is appreciated - I'm really interested in the 46" B7070 after reading the review

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Are VIDEO GAMES too EXPENSIVE?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom