I revived my Dead Sony Vaio Li-ION Battery

voyager7

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am the most sceptical person on the planet, BUT, heres my story: I have 2x Sony Vaio TX 2's both about 2 yrs old. One I use regularly, and one in a spare room which is used occasionally. I hid the less used one in a drawer when I went on holiday in March and forgot about it until 3 days ago. I left the battery in the laptop. The laptop would not turn on as the battery was obviously going to be flat so I plugged in the AC adapter and the charge light started flashing as normal. However, after almost 2 days of being plugged in, the charge light was still flashing and when the computer was on, it still showed "0%" charge. I tried charging the battery in the other TX2 but same result. I started scouring the internet for replacement batteries but came across this site: http://www.heritage-tech.net/746/reviving-a-dead-notebook-battery/ which suggested wrapping the dead battery in newspaper and putting it in the freezer for 24-36 hours then defrosting it thoroughly to room temp (I put mine in the hot water cylinder airing cupboard for 3 hours) then wiping off any condensation (esp nr the contacts) and recharging it. I thought I got nothin' to lose and, well unbelievably, it worked and I have been using the laptop and it has been taking a full (99%) charge! My battery was a Sony VGP-BPS5 Li-ION. Has anyone else tried this and what were the results? I'm not saying it will work for all batteries, as some batteries may be permanently damaged, but it worked for me!

Let me start by saying I am the most sceptical person on the planet

Hmmmm I doubt that, I am... :D

I'm amazed by this. I might just try it out on the knackered battery on my compaq TC-1100 tablet thingy as the battery only lasts about 5mins now.

This is one of those good old tricks that some people swear by and others laugh at you for suggesting. Not just for laptop batteries, but batteries in general.

I say... whatever works! Nice one :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom