iPod touch will not sync in Windows 7

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I installed windows 7 64 bit ultimate last week I cannot sync my ipod touch 1G properly. None of the albums I added were showing up and it was saying the sync was complete. So I deleted everything and tried a fresh sync. But now, after around 30 songs have been synced I get that USB disconnect sound and a warning that itunes could not sync/read/write to the device that it had timed out.

Worse of all, the PC become very unresponsive after it fails until I restart.

I have checked preferences regarding sync, stopped the bonjour service, reinstalled (and repaired) itunes 64 bit but this has been happening all day and I cannot seem to fix it.

All my apps are still there but now there is no music or video on the device. I am running 3.0 software that has been jailbroken.

Any ideas?

No help I'm afraid, I having the same problem! :mad::confused:

Hopefully someone has discovered a solution. If I have to wait for a patch or updated version I cannot use my iPod in the meantime...:(

Hi,

Have you found any solution yet? Ive had this problem since last week and its driving me crazy. Ive been looking everywhere and lot of people seem to have difficulties with itunes and windows 7 64bit.

I've been running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate for a couple of months now, and don't have any syncing issues with my IPod touch (3G) and ITunes.

What version of ITunes are you running (I'm running 9.0.1.8), and is your Windows 7 a clean install or upgrade over an existing OS?

i have the same version of iTunes, im running a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. The problem is that i can connect ipod touch 1G, but when I click sync it copies few songs, like 50 or so, and then my ipod disconnects(it doesnt show "syncing" any more), but in iTunes, there is still written syncing and my computer gets really really slow

My god, that is word for word my same problem. I had my CPU at 100% after a failed sync today and over 90% of that was 'system interrupts'. Reboot is the only thing to fix it.

I have had to resort to putting all my files on an extranl HD and rebuilding my whole library via an XP laptop....what a pain!

Hi all,

I've had the exact same issue - Win7 64-bit, iTunes disconnects on sync and computer grinds to a halt. It's been driving me crackers. I've tried so many things that this post would be stupidly long if I listed them all.

However... I got it working tonight. It was after I did a couple of things, so I'm not sure which one did the trick, but I wanted to post in case it helped somone:

1) I unplugged all other USB devices. Well actually just one as I needed my mouse and keyboard and the printer was off anyway! It was an external USB wifi dongle. The reason for doing this was that when the iPod sync died on sync, I would lose my wifi connection and couldn't get it back till a restart, so I wondered if it may be some kind of USB power consumption issue. I don't have a P55 motherboard as in the article on The Register, but I was thinking it could be a similar mobo-related thing.

2) I went into iTunes and went to Edit > Preferences > Devices and clicked "Reset Sync History" (and said OK to the warnings).

I then tried another sync and it worked fine. Would love to know if it works for anyone else.

Cheers,
Phil

This is happening to me also. After installing Windows 7 64b, the sync freezes after a couple of songs transfers (normally, errror code 0xE8000065). Tried everything imaginable: Itunes reinstall, execute with compability to VIsta, energy safe mode off to USB ports/hubs, cable change, restore Ipod. I have a Acer Aspire M3641, lastest ITunes version, latest software on Ipod. Now my external drive also freezes in the middle of a backup even if I'm not using a usb hub. Please Microsoft, Apple, Intel, whoever, WAKE UP !!! This is now a major problem. Please see Intel, Apple, Microsoft probe iPhone-Windows sync bug and Getting error 0xE8000065 when sync'ing? | Talk iPhone - iPhone News Blog and Forums and many more articles and claims. Will try this "solution" though...BY the may, is this a permanent fix? And when do you unplug the other devices. Prior or after the freeze?

Last edited:
Hi moenga,

I feel your pain!

Thankfully mine is now working on a regular basis and hasn't crashed since my post. I'm just not sure if it was the "reset sync" thing or the USB device unplugging that sorted it. Maybe a bit of both! In answer to your question, I unplugged the other device prior to starting iTunes.

I have since ditched the USB wifi dongle (as it wasn't great anyway) and am using an internal PCI card now instead.

I'm still not convinced Win7 is completely happy with the motherboard though and has some USB controller issues. It has an nForce 560 chipset so I got the latest Win7 64-bit drivers for that chipset but they wouldn't install, gah! (more on that here)

Ah very interesting indeed - can you post back on whether this works for you or not? I'm not sure whether my motherboard has EHCI but I certainly fit the bill on the other criteria.

It works. MS sends an email with the file link + password. Run the file, restart PC. No problems anymore with usb ports. :)

Fantastic, I'll request it too! I presume they'll eventually roll it out as part of a general update or service pack?

Out of interest, what chipset is on your motherboard?

Anyone get this fixed? I have windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and my 2nd gen ipod touch is so slow in itunes when syncing. My other ipod nanos work fine with windows 7.

The fixes discussed earlier sorted it for me, but it sounds like your issue is a bit different if it's just being slow. This thread was more for when syncing slows, disconnects and pretty much kills your Windows session. Plus we were all on 64-bit Windows 7.

You always could try the Edit > Preferences > Devices > "Reset Sync History" thing though.

Thanks, I 've tried all the suggestions but no luck. I tried the touch on a 64bit version of windows 7 also and it didn't work on that neither.

I experienced same problem with Windows 7 64 Bit and iTunes 64 Bit.
But I manage to get workaround solution by set iTunes run in Windows XP compatibility mode.

1. In start menu showing itunes icon, right click at it and select properties.
2. You will see new windows with some few tab pop-up. Click at "Compatibility" Tab.
3. In this tab you will see a section labeled as "Compatibility Mode". Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode" and choose OS as "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
4. When you run itunes, you will see some warning about compatible. You just ignore it.
5. Then itunes will sync your ipod like magic!

my problem went away after switching to USB 2.0 port from USB 3.0 port on Asus UX31

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom