iPhone 4 Tmobile sim in an Orange locked handset and Vice Versa

MRLENNY

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys,

I'm able to get my hands on an iPhone 4 but its locked to Orange and they really do have the worst PAYG deals ever (100mb fair usage unlimited internet :confused: )

But i'm hearing Tmobile Sims work in Orange locked iPhones?

Can you guys confirm?

To save hassle, why not just pay to get it unlocked? Just get the person who owns the phone to contact their service provider, job done!

Then you could look at a 3 deal - they seem to have the best data allowances out there!

Neil

The guy owes them money and they won't provide him with the unlock unless its paid.

But if a Tmobile sim works then i can run with that

Cheers Neil

Well hopefully someone will be able to provide an answer from actual experience - but from a quick google search I would say it won't work. Although they have the network sharing thing this doesn't apparently mean they their sims will work in each others handsets unless unlocked.

I'm curious as to how the whole 'he owes orange money' thing works at the end of the day it's his handset not theirs - I wonder if you phoned orange yourself, told them you bought the handset or whatever and you require it unlocking. That way the unlocking issue is nothing to do with your friend owing them money. Might work!

Neil

Or they could just blacklist it....

They put the unlocking fee on you're monthly bill, so if he owes them money already Orange won't really be looking to do him any favours lol.

There's been instances where I've heard/read Virgin and Tmobile sims work in Orange handsets.

If i was to try and unlock the phone, i would have to be with Orange for 3 months and then pay 20 quid to unlock it.

So much hassle, might just have to go down the Gevey sim route if nobody is able to confirm

Or they could just blacklist it....

In fairness, and I'm not expert, I don't see how they could. The phone doesn't belong to them, yes they can block the sim and suspend the account but I don't see how they could blacklist the actual phone.

Neil

I haven't tried an iphone 4 due to it being a micro sim, but any other Orange handset I've tried has not worked with a T-Mobile sim. Orange sim into T-Mob phone has worked a couple of times though. The only Orange iphone I've tried is a 3GS.

If you can wait a few hours I will be able to check my Orange sim from my iPhone 4 in my daughters tmobile iPhone 4 and vice versa. I'll post this evening unless you've had a definite response first :)

As Miss Mandy said, my orange sim works in a tmobile iphone 4, but a tmobile sim will not work in my orange iPhone. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback!

I took the risk and indeed T-Mobile sim's work in the Orange iPhone.

Having being skeptical about my T-Mobile pay monthly sim card working in my dad's iPhone 4 locked to Orange. I took the plunge and cut my T-Mobile sim card down to size, popped it in, setup the iphone as a new iPhone, (using iOS 6) followed the on-screen instructions, got to the activation stage expecting it to take ages to tell me the sim wasn't compatable like it did with my dad's Talk Mobile sim, but hey, within 3 seconds it had successfully activated with my T-Mobile sim card and moved onto the next step asking me if i wanted to restore the phone from an iCloud backup.

So based on my experience it has worked successfully, seems some T-Mobile sim cards will work in Orange locked iPhone 4's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom