32gb capacity nearly full after ios5 upgrade

smithy37

Established Member
Reaction score
Prior to updating ios5 I had around 10 gig of free capacity on my 32 gig i4. Now I have 12.8 gig of 'other' and only 47 meg free :eek:
***!!??

Still syncing, so fingers crossed others shrinks once completed. Watch this space!

The sync finished and I had a message of over capacity. Then in a flash 'others' shrunk back to 0.5 gig giving me 12 gb free again.

All my apps are missing though :(
I looked to do a manual restore but the latest back up was the end of September :eek:
Considering I backed up prior to the upgrade I think something has monkeyed with the back up files.

Into the cloud I go to re-install the missing apps

Yep, did the same damn thing to my 16 gig. Filled my drive with 12.8 gigs of "Other", and it says I still need 130.3 megs more. This should be fun.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this? My phone is listing 13.3GB of "Other," which never existed before the update, preventing me from putting music, etc on the phone. Also won't upload my Photo Albums.
IOS5 has been nothing but a pain thus far...

Same here, can't sync my music across because I have 10.8gb 'other' making me 10.5gb over capacity.

Go to Settings -> General -> Usage

and see if you can figure out what' taking the space under "Storage".

You can also delete stuff from there (press the edit button)

Nope, just lists the installed apps and their sizes. Music and video both say 'no data'

UPDATE: Somehow fixed itself. While the phone was trying to sync my photos I went to Settings -> General -> Usage, as gkpm recommended. At first it still erroneously showed only 3GB of space avail. with only Apps listed underneath, music and video "no data." (NB: There was nothing listed amounting to the mysterious extra 13GB of 'other' that could be deleted) Then it changed, on it's own, in the blink of an eye, to what it should be.
The sync that was going on was stuck, so I cancelled it, but became stuck canceling.
I then clicked the disconnect button on iTunes but phone still showed it was syncing, so restarted the phone.
All capacity figures are correct now and phone is back to normal AFAIK.
Hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Nope, just lists the installed apps and their sizes. Music and video both say 'no data'

Sure, but can't you find what's using those 10GB within those apps?

Just a question, it may be no.

Nope, my apps total 1.82gb. Photos 0.85gb. Audio is 0. Other is 10.8gb.

Umm read Fishcaler's update above.

Those numbers are from iTunes, not the list under Usage.

"Other" can be many things, including space the apps use for themselves.

No, just checked all apps again under 'docs and data' the biggest is only about 7mb, the rest are only using a few kb.

Just done IOS5 and had the same issues, but it seemed to autocorrect itself without me doing much.

Also it was a slightly odd way of updating this software update, as it actually allowed me on the phone before half my apps were uploaded back on (causing a minor "Argh! where's me apps gone" moment!) :laugh:

Blargh. I've been syncing it repeatedly hoping that it'll fix itself but it hasn't yet. I'm probably on at least my 10th try. I'll just keep trying, I guess.

Still showing as no music, 10.8gb other...gonna be a bad day in work today with no tunes :-(

Didn't work yesterday, but today, yeah, a restore actually fixed it. I guess that is the answer. Still utter bullcrap that I need to take that step, but it worked.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom