iTunes Account Hacked

thedrazen

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I noticed on my iPhone today that i only had £4.33 on my itunes account which was weird since i should of had £86.00. Unable to check my purchases on the phone i checked at home to find purchases from today for iPad apps (i dont own an iPad) and seasons of cops.

Clearly someone has hacked my account. ive changed my details and luckily my credit/debit cards are not listed on iTunes. Ive reported this to Apple.

Question is my last purchase that i actually did was also today on my iPhone so is my Iphone the source of the hacking?

Will i get my store credit back?

Seeing that none of us are Steve Jobs, we can only assume that since others have had money returned, you will too.

Its unfortunate that its happened though - do you have an Anti-Virus/Firewall? I wonder how they managed to get your account details.

I don't know how long it'll take for you to get your money back though.

:mad: My account been hacked too. Well I assume it has as 2 purchase's have been made totalling about £40 (just about the amount I had in the account).

Did you get anywhere complaining, and who did you contact.

Thanks,
Ian.

:mad: My account been hacked too. Well I assume it has as 2 purchase's have been made totalling about £40 (just about the amount I had in the account).

Did you get anywhere complaining, and who did you contact.

Thanks,
Ian.

first thing ian is change your password. Next Go into your account to the purchases that you didnt make and press (report a problem). tell them your account has been hacked. They'l give you a acknoweldgement of it and you should recieve a email from itunes in a few days. theyl ask you for the details of the fraudlent order numbers and refund you.

in terms of how it happened with me.

sunday 14th - account hacked
reported it through report a problem to itunes
monday 15th - acknowedgement of report and itunes dealing with concern
tuesday 16th- contacted by itunes asked for order numbers and refunded.

hope that helps.

i never use vouchers on my itunes account & i only put my card details when i want to purchase something. I hope things get sorted out for you mate

Thanks thedrazen. I found the "report a problem" after I posted. I filled in the form giving all the details, and they have in fact just e-mailed back offering a refund. The also recommend I change my password (which i did this morning), but also go on to say they have disabled my account, and i need to provide some information to enable it again.

The only worrying thing is how they (the hackers) got my details. I have antivirus and firewall software on my pc, so not sure if they hacked apples system to get my details / into the account, or somehow got them from me.

Ian.

i never use vouchers on my itunes account & i only put my card details when i want to purchase something. I hope things get sorted out for you mate

Luckily I didn't have any card details stored. The only reason I had £40 of credit is because some iTunes gift cards were on offer, so I got them while they were cheep.

Ian.

The only worrying thing is how they (the hackers) got my details. I have antivirus and firewall software on my pc, so not sure if they hacked apples system to get my details / into the account, or somehow got them from me.

Ian.

Might be some sort of key logger installed or the use a password cracker

Also do you have an paypal account? Apparently there has been some security flaw with itunes and paypal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11065301

Last edited:
This happened to me a few weeks ago too - I also contacted Apple and was refunded.

It's interesting to see how many other people it has happened to as Apple seemed very insistant that I must have compromised my account security in same way. No way Apple could have a problem.....

Also happened to me. I hadn't purchased anything for about a year and then whilst on holiday (My PC had been switched off for over a week) I received an email via my phone (not an iPhone at the time) confirming an iTunes purchase. Contacted Apple and my credit card company. I received a full refund from Apple but was curious how my CCV number was known as from memory this must be entered each at each pucrhase. I also use upto date spyware, anti-virus and firewall software. :confused:

Avi

Also happened to me. I hadn't purchased anything for about a year and then whilst on holiday (My PC had been switched off for over a week) I received an email via my phone (not an iPhone at the time) confirming an iTunes purchase. Contacted Apple and my credit card company. I received a full refund from Apple but was curious how my CCV number was known as from memory this must be entered each at each pucrhase. I also use upto date spyware, anti-virus and firewall software. :confused:

Avi

The key to this might be that you were on holiday when it happened. Card skimming is very common abroad. Maybe if you were staying at a hotel they had an email address for you and just cracked your password. If your card was skimmed then they would know your CCV number.

The key to this might be that you were on holiday when it happened. Card skimming is very common abroad. Maybe if you were staying at a hotel they had an email address for you and just cracked your password. If your card was skimmed then they would know your CCV number.

Don't know but the break was in the UK and no details of my email address were disclosed. :)

Avi

This has happened to me last night to the tune of £47.97, is there a specific form to fill in.

This has happened to me last night to the tune of £47.97, is there a specific form to fill in.

Go into your account and click on 'report a problem' against the dodgy purchases and change your password

Happened to me too, absolutely gutted. Like the OP thankfully I never put my card details in on iTunes. I had £36.00 in my account and today I opened it and only 23p was left in there.

Looking at the purchases made, I can see that one was downloaded as a Developer. Now I'm no developer and Apple know I'm not part of their developer programme so hopefully they won't need much more proof.

I've emailed them the order numbers, changed my iTunes password, changed my PayPal password (I've actually just removed my card from PayPal temporarily to be on the safe side), changed my email password and just now doing a full virus/spyware scan even though I have real time protection enabled.

I got my money back took around 3 days. They even credited back a purchase that I missed the following day.

Hey everyone, iTunes still havent responded to my email that I sent well over 24 hours ago regarding my hacked account, I even included the order numbers of the unauthorized purchases.

I phoned Apple support today and they said they can't do anything as they do not deal with iTunes. They told me to email them which I've already done.

To those who have had their accounts hacked too, how long did it take to receive a reply from iTunes?

To those who have had their accounts hacked too, how long did it take to receive a reply from iTunes?

read the post above you, essjay had to wait 3 days

read the post above you, essjay had to wait 3 days

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't too sure if essjay meant that it took 3 days for the money to be refunded or 3 days for Apple to reply to him.

In light of the security problems with iTunes accounts I have only been adding my debit card details when I actually make a purchase & then removing them again afterwards. I noticed that an alternative payment option is to register for ClickandBuy which allows you to set up a direct debit for payment. This is an excellent alternative as firstly your credit/debit card details are not stored on the insecure iTunes account & secondly because if ever a payment is incorrectly taken by direct debit then if you report the issue to your bank you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee. I recommend that everyone remove their card details from iTunes & register for ClickandBuy instead.

My account was hacked yesterday and my £73 voucher on my account was used to buy in-app purchase for "Texas Poker" which is free but the in-app "15M Chip" cost £11.99. The hacker bought it six times. I've £0.53p remaining on my account

I've reported it to Apple and waiting for the outcome

Last edited:
In light of the security problems with iTunes accounts I have only been adding my debit card details when I actually make a purchase & then removing them again afterwards. I noticed that an alternative payment option is to register for ClickandBuy which allows you to set up a direct debit for payment. This is an excellent alternative as firstly your credit/debit card details are not stored on the insecure iTunes account & secondly because if ever a payment is incorrectly taken by direct debit then if you report the issue to your bank you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee. I recommend that everyone remove their card details from iTunes & register for ClickandBuy instead.
Where are your details for Direct Debit stored, then? Surely they're stored the same way your card details are. And if you're paying by debit card, it's exactly the same principle, unless I've misunderstood how details are retained.

If that's correct, then Direct Debit offers you no more account security than using a debit card does. The difference is the Direct Debit guarantee, which affords similar protection to credit card purchases if a problem arises.

That's how I thought things worked, so apologies if I've misunderstood. But if I'm right, DD isn't the be-all and end-all solution here. Like you, I tend to put in my credit card details when making a purchase, and then remove the straight after.

A Direct Debit is not the same as using a debit card. They have details of your bank account number & sort code not your debit card or credit card so you don't need to have your card cancelled & a new one issued if there ever is an unauthorised payment. Unlike having to argue the toss with the bank & Apple if anything goes wrong then you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee. That means you just have to inform your bank that the payment was unauthorised & they must reimburse straight away without waiting while they investigate or any other delay.

^^^Thanks, seems there is some difference then. Still seems like there's no fail safe solution to the root of the problem, though, which is the hacking issue in the first place.

I'll stick with removing my card details each time, though that's not exactly convenient. Still, forces me to think twice before buying things, I guess. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom