Upgrading unlocked/jailbroken 3GS to 3.1.2/3.1.3

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but have searched the main thread and a few others but can't find the exact answer.

My iPhone has been previously unlocked with cydia etc and jailbroken and is running firmware 3.0 (7A341) and baseband 04.26.08.

How can I update this to the latest firmware (or at least 3.1...) without messing up the unlock?

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but have searched the main thread and a few others but can't find the exact answer.

My iPhone has been previously unlocked with cydia etc and jailbroken and is running firmware 3.0 (7A341) and baseband 04.26.08.

How can I update this to the latest firmware (or at least 3.1...) without messing up the unlock?

Not sure what model of iPhone you have. If it's a 3GS then:

You can't AFAIK.

If you upgrade to 3.1.3 then it'll change the baseband and make the phone "unlockable".

The new Spirit JB will JB 3.1.3 by the looks of it - but it won't unlock.

My phone crashed a week ago and I had to restore; I had my SHSHs on Cydia so I thought I could roll back no problem, but the modem FW was also updated.

I could roll back to 3.1.2 but I couldn't then unlock. I paid £15 to O2 to get an 'official' unlock which works on 3.1.3; but even still - with that official unlock - I still can't roll back and get the unlock to stay put.

For me, at the moment, it appears it's one or the other - and the UL is most important to me.

You could try custom firmware 3.12 as you already have it JB.

Not sure what model of iPhone you have. If it's a 3GS then

It's a 3GS as per the thread title. :)

Thanks for the replies, just to clarify I'm not bothered about the latest firmware as long as it is 3.1 something.

Micky: The official o2 unlock wont EVER be affected by FW upgrades or rollbacks.

Chelsea - in that case I must be doing something wrong. No matter what I've tried so far, whilst on 3.1.3 with the official O2 unlock, I can't get jailbroken by rolling back to 3.1.2

I hope you're right as it would open the door for me, but so far the experience I've had suggests it's not do-able.

It's a 3GS as per the thread title. :)

Thanks for the replies, just to clarify I'm not bothered about the latest firmware as long as it is 3.1 something.

Sorry - I'm nursing a hangover and didn't notice :D

Chelsea - in that case I must be doing something wrong. No matter what I've tried so far, whilst on 3.1.3 with the official O2 unlock, I can't get jailbroken by rolling back to 3.1.2

I hope you're right as it would open the door for me, but so far the experience I've had suggests it's not do-able.

That's not quite what he said... Tone said that the Official Unlock wont be affected by firmware upgrades or rollbacks. So if you upgrade or rollback your Official Unlock will remain.

You're thinking of it from the other way, that the Official Unlock affects the ability to Jailbreak. It's the firmware version (not the Official Unlock) that affects the ability to unlock and now you've gone to 3.1.3 you're pretty stuck, unless you have your details on record with Cydia so you can get Cydia to authorise/sign the rollback, rather than Apple who will reject it.

But if you are Officially Unlocked you don't need to Un-Officially Unlock, so I'm not sure why you are trying?

The trouble you might be experiencing is that when you change firmware, the iPhone via iTunes has to re-request the unlock. It usually takes seconds to do so you don't really notice other than the 'Congratulations' screen. But if you're trying to rollback and this isn't working, you might not get to this stage.

My advice, go back to 3.1.3 and live without the Jailbreak. If you're Officially Unlocked you can at least use your iPhone on any network.

So if you upgrade or rollback your Official Unlock will remain.

It doesn't though - I've tried to rollback to 3.1.2

But if you are Officially Unlocked you don't need to Un-Officially Unlock, so I'm not sure why you are trying?

I'm not trying to unlock - I am trying to JB

unless you have your details on record with Cydia so you can get Cydia to authorise/sign the rollback

I do, and the official unlock doesn't remain when I go back to 3.1.2 I've tried.

The trouble you might be experiencing is that when you change firmware, the iPhone via iTunes has to re-request the unlock. It usually takes seconds to do so you don't really notice other than the 'Congratulations' screen. But if you're trying to rollback and this isn't working, you might not get to this stage.

Quite possibly

My advice, go back to 3.1.3 and live without the Jailbreak. If you're Officially Unlocked you can at least use your iPhone on any network.

Which is what I am doing as it stands

Last edited:

Apolgies for jumping in on this thread,and sorry this wont help you, but I am in exactly the same position as you with same firmware / base band etc and want to get some apps which require v 3.1.
The link you posted in your latest post relates to quickpwn, but I have a pc and therefore would require the winpwn version to upgrade. Does anyone know if this available and if so would it affect my unlock?

Is this the one I want?

Download Custom Firmware 3.1.3 IPSW – Jailbreak, Activate, Unlock iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS [Mac + Windows] | iLikeMyiPhone

So to just check, will my previous unlock be in place I do I need to unlock again after installing this custom firmware?

I think you would need to unlock again as it only installs Cydia.
However you might run into problems with Apple and itunes when it checks the firmware.All you can do is try.Did you save your files on Cydia when it asked to make your life easier ?

Caching Apple's Signature Server - Jay Freeman (saurik)

It doesn't though - I've tried to rollback to 3.1.2

There is no way to say this without sounding rude... so forgive me as that's not my intention. The Official Unlock is applied and remains regardless of firmware revision as it is based on your IMEI. This is a fact. Therefore you are either doing something wrong, something that wont work (as I hinted to with my comment about the firmware rollback failing), you have not activated the iPhone via iTunes or you are not reporting the story accurately.

I can't be any clearer than assuring you the O2 Official Unlock is not dependant on any firmware version. Any version you can successfully apply to your iPhone will remain Officially Unlocked after activation via iTunes.

I'll leave it at that and get back OT.

There is no way to say this without sounding rude... so forgive me as that's not my intention. The Official Unlock is applied and remains regardless of firmware revision as it is based on your IMEI. This is a fact. Therefore you are either doing something wrong, something that wont work (as I hinted to with my comment about the firmware rollback failing), you have not activated the iPhone via iTunes or you are not reporting the story accurately.

I can't be any clearer than assuring you the O2 Official Unlock is not dependant on any firmware version. Any version you can successfully apply to your iPhone will remain Officially Unlocked after activation via iTunes.

I'll leave it at that and get back OT.

Well, without hijacking this other guys thread, all I can say is this: having tried, successfully, to rollback to 3.1.2 I was not able to get my T-Mobile sim to work.

Quite possible I am doing something wrong, or quite possible that it's not do-able. You're saying it's do-able, I'm saying I've not been able to get it to work.

If someone is able to activate their phone with AN Other carrier, on 3.1.3 via an official O2 unlock, then rollback to 3.1.2, jailbreak, and get everything to work then I'd welcome their direction as to how it's done.

As it stands I might as well wait on the Spirit JB in the hope it's a cleaner way of allowing me to JB as I wish to do.

Apolgies for jumping in on this thread,and sorry this wont help you, but I am in exactly the same position as you with same firmware / base band etc and want to get some apps which require v 3.1.
The link you posted in your latest post relates to quickpwn, but I have a pc and therefore would require the winpwn version to upgrade. Does anyone know if this available and if so would it affect my unlock?

Use the link posted by jerryq7777
http://go.avforums.com/?id=223X354&...om/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=12076479

Then go for the 3.1.2 custom firmware. They do have a 3.1.3 but I wouldn't bother with that as it has no benefits over the 3.1.2

Follow the instructions and you should be fine. I've done mine this morning and using the custom firmware it keeps your existing baseband. If yours is already jailbroken like mine was, then it doesn't take very long at all.

Thanks Greg, did it affect your unlock, or did you have to re-unlock?

Thanks Greg, did it affect your unlock, or did you have to re-unlock?

All I had to do was unlock it again, which is a piece of cake. The instructions are in the link posted above.

Using the custom firmware leaves your baseband intact, meaning it can still be unlocked as you did before.

Thanks, I go on holiday tomorrow,so might wait until I get back in case I mess up my phone which I need to take with me so I'll prob wait till I get back.
I will let you know how I get on.

Yes, I would do the same in your case. These things should go as planned but you never know and especially just before going on holiday!

Just a quick update following my return from holiday, I followed these instructions, and everything worked fine. Thanks everyone for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom