Should Comet Chester be reported??

Curry Monster

Ex Member
Reaction score
This has been bugging me for a while so I thought I would see what the forums thinks on this.

In Chesters Comet (sealand road) they have a Plasma screen setup split screen with 2 DVD players (the same) one with a monster scart and the other a normal scart lead.

On the screen they have both dvd player displaying the same dvd at roughly the same time -- fair enough so far...

However while checking the screens inputs (the remote was handy) I noticed the monster cable dvd player was set to input on RGB and the normal Scart lead was set to input composite!!

Now correct me if I am wrong but surely they are misleading customers who belive spending £70 on a scart (more than the price of a dvd player these days) will get them a better picture

When actually comet is really only showing the difference between signals and not the cables.

Granted there may be a difference with a decent scart lead but this is plain taking advantage of people who dont know and come to a dealer such as this for advice.

While in the store I saw an oldish couple shown this demo and then proceeded to the checkout with a mains coniditioner and an expensive scart!

Anyone agree that I should mention this to trading standards as to me this is surely illegal

I would! Whether TS know what you're on about is another matter. I wonder sometimes who comes up with these scams, the store manager or from HQ? Regardless, it's not on. I doubt BBC's watchdog would be interested but they might be worth contacting too, after all the consumer is being misled and subsequently ripped off, which is theft in my eyes. Con artists! Another monster cable rip off.

Thats got to classed as false advertising,trading standards will love it,plus comet are crap anyhoo.Report them or ask for a free telly to keep quiet:D

If I was you, I would go back in and set the monster to composite too!

Im surprised they left the remote out,seeing as savvy folks like yourself would check such things:devil:

As a retailer, I would prefer it if you came and saw me first - find the mananger and have a quick word. I'll bet it was a junior member of staff who set it up and hadnt checked the settings and nobody else has bothered to check (we have a similar demo in store and although it's not my section, I've looked at the demo and thought 'wow, thats a really noticable difference' but havent checked the settings).

Now, if you do that and a week later nothing happens, report them to TS and of you really want to screw them up write to head office too (which will have the added benefit of an all stores note going out to check their demos).

As a retailer, I would prefer it if you came and saw me first - find the mananger and have a quick word. I'll bet it was a junior member of staff who set it up and hadnt checked the settings and nobody else has bothered to check (we have a similar demo in store and although it's not my section, I've looked at the demo and thought 'wow, thats a really noticable difference' but havent checked the settings).

Now, if you do that and a week later nothing happens, report them to TS and of you really want to screw them up write to head office too (which will have the added benefit of an all stores note going out to check their demos).

The above sounds reasonable and the sensible thing to do but when monster cable demos are concerned they appear to have a track record of being deliberately rigged to favour their cables both here and in other countries. Writing to Comet HQ would be a good idea and hopefully nip these things in the bud before more unsuspecting customers are duped into parting with their money especially £70 for a SCART cable to connect a £50 DVD player! That's scandalous. Comet don't exactly sell high-end stuff so why sell high-end (priced) cables unless, as I suspect there is a high mark-up on them similar to after market warranties. Their staff always seem to push them once they've got a sale.

I think Daves right, afterall they managed to set the player attached using the monster cable to RGB, I strongly suspect that monster tell the stores how to setup these displays.

Personally I would just report to trading standards and let them decide if its a deliberate attempt to mislead as this seems to be a common tactic.

John.

If it wasn't deliberate, the manager or supervisors aren't doing their job as they should check that it's correct. When I used to be a gaffer, I used to always check what my staff had done, not because I didn't trust them but to maintain standards that reflected both on me and my department.

Tuesday I will ring the chester trading standards and advise them on what is happening - and I will offer to meet at the store to demonstrate what they have done - Its not on in this day and age to blatently rip people off.

I suppose they need to make a quick few quid as scart leads are soon to be a thing of the past! - unless they do the same in the future with hdmi - composite !

Anyone who has read this been into a comet store and seen the same or is this a one off

If it wasn't deliberate, the manager or supervisors aren't doing their job as they should check that it's correct. When I used to be a gaffer, I used to always check what my staff had done, not because I didn't trust them but to maintain standards that reflected both on me and my department.

Either way deliberate or not they are using this to their advantage (I would say who ever has set this up knows exactly what they are doing)

I'm heading into town in a minute so will pop into my local store and check. I was going to go to Currys superstore anyway and I'm sure they sell Mon$ter cables too.....

Over in Singapore in one of the major electronics emporiums, several stores (HK owned) use similar tactics to demonstrate camcorders and such like. Luckily I was on their case when they nearly conned my mate out of several $$$$ for a new camcorder. Unfortunately the reason I knew about it was I was stung myself a couple of years before!! I ended up with a lesser model for more money. My excuse was I was pi5$ed! Note to self, never buy AV gear under the influence........

Over in Singapore in one of the major electronics emporiums, several stores (HK owned) use similar tactics to demonstrate camcorders and such like. Luckily I was on their case when they nearly conned my mate out of several $$$$ for a new camcorder. Unfortunately the reason I knew about it was I was stung myself a couple of years before!! I ended up with a lesser model for more money. My excuse was I was pi5$ed! Note to self, never buy AV gear under the influence........
Same thing happened to me in tenerife, tried to make a sony handycam look bad while trying to get you to buy a cheapo camcorder at a higher price than its worth. They would sell the "inferior" sony camcorder but would not give a reciept with it so you would probably be arrested for shoplifting not long after leaving the shop.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166669

Its seems to be best comet practice...

If anyone who is reading this has been ripped of by this scam I would say they have grounds for a full refund also.

I was amazed to read in the link you gave was that it was the same branch of Comet in Chester that you have had the issue with. As the link is to a thread which is over 4 years old, one has to think there is a deliberate ploy to mislead rather than an untrained individual.

I was only in there to see if they where reducing their hd-dvd players further and noticed this 'demonstration' with loads of monster cables around it.

Looks to me like they know what they are doing and thats aiming to rip people off

What a low down trick that is, especially as most people who buy suff from places like Comet believe what they see!

Would be interested to hear the outcome from this, good spot Baldybouncer.

Yeah,what happened baldybouncer,did you sort them out?:D

NEW thread started - currys are doing it now!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom