HTC Desire Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do we know what will come in the box?

I know it will come with a 4GB micro SD card that is a change from the 8GB card given with the Touch HD.

The Touch HD also came with a very good screen protector, wonder if the desire will have one?

Liam

I can't imagine it will be any different to the Nexus One, expect possibly the MicroSD card. So no screen protector, but a protective pouch, USB cable, mains charger, MicroSD card (8GB in N1), wired headset and some paperwork.

Are you getting one rob or been there done that with the nexus? Think of the RAM!!

Are you getting one rob or been there done that with the nexus? Think of the RAM!!

Been there and done that. The Nexus left me cold and it's not practical enough to make up for that, in that the text entry, call clarity, battery life, signal strength etc aren't the best. You don't mind that when the phone is awesome to live with, but when it's not, it's not worth the sacrifice.

Given the Desire drops the dual-mic setup, that's one mark down for practicality. And as good as Sense is, I don't think it's enough to make me Desire the Desire (ahem...).

But you never know, I will certainly try and blag one to try for a few weeks, but don't see me handing over money for one.

I really want to want this phone. Technically, it looks really good. The sense interface with multiple homescreens and widgets really appeals to me. However, it means moving from my iPhone and missing out on what Apple might release in the summer. I'm more interested in what Apple will do with the OS than with hardware, because they do what they do very well.
I'm so torn deciding what to do. Yes, I can wait, but I have the urge for a new toy. I just don't want to regret getting something other than Apple.
Gah! Decisions.

The Desire will still have some value left in it by the time the new iPhone is out, so there is no reason why you couldn't sell it and jump back to Apple if you make the move now.

If you can afford / justify purchasing the Desire outright (SIM-Free) rather than on contract, it's even easier still as you can sell this and get an iPhone on contract in the summer if you wish. All you would end up paying is the difference between the Desire purchase cost and value you sell it for months later.

Or, wait for a Desire to come up second hand. It doesn't usually take long.

I'm thinking of upgrading to this phone, just want to know if it's possible it will some how play flac files? perhaps there's some kind of mod that can enable flac playback?
Thanks.

It is technically possible on Android. Google 'Android FLAC' and you'll find quite a few references, although none will prove this working on the Desire of course. That will take a while after launch. But if it works on Android at all, you should be OK.

Been there and done that. The Nexus left me cold and it's not practical enough to make up for that, in that the text entry, call clarity, battery life, signal strength etc aren't the best. You don't mind that when the phone is awesome to live with, but when it's not, it's not worth the sacrifice.

Given the Desire drops the dual-mic setup, that's one mark down for practicality. And as good as Sense is, I don't think it's enough to make me Desire the Desire (ahem...).

But you never know, I will certainly try and blag one to try for a few weeks, but don't see me handing over money for one.

Bleh, you're just a naysayer :p

I'm a bit bored and fed up with Apple and the iPhone. I've never been keen on Apple as a company. And their constant refusal to release any details about the phone used to be a bit cute and quirky but is just bloody annoying now.

I have a funny feeling that I will be completely underwhelmed with the iPhone as a device. I have a horrible feeling that it will have the same processor as the iPad which is cool and all, but underwhelming. Snapdragon is already at 1Ghz!

The quicker I get onto Android the better. I think the iPhone will still be the ultimate highest seller. But the HTC devices will be better.

The Desire will still have some value left in it by the time the new iPhone is out, so there is no reason why you couldn't sell it and jump back to Apple if you make the move now.

If you can afford / justify purchasing the Desire outright (SIM-Free) rather than on contract, it's even easier still as you can sell this and get an iPhone on contract in the summer if you wish. All you would end up paying is the difference between the Desire purchase cost and value you sell it for months later.

Plus, there's the value of your current iphone if you sell it, to offset initial costs......can't see you losing more than 75 quid (depending on condition) if you go sim free and then update later. In fact you could wait for your update iphone and flog that as well if you decide to stay with the Desire.
Looks like a win/win situation to me :smashin:
Stopping there as I'll be shot for contract discussion :D

I really want to want this phone. Technically, it looks really good. The sense interface with multiple homescreens and widgets really appeals to me. However, it means moving from my iPhone and missing out on what Apple might release in the summer. I'm more interested in what Apple will do with the OS than with hardware, because they do what they do very well.
I'm so torn deciding what to do. Yes, I can wait, but I have the urge for a new toy. I just don't want to regret getting something other than Apple.
Gah! Decisions.

I've never been a fan of Apple, the iphone is a nice bit of kit but I hate the way Apple have to control everything.

I am looking forward to hands on with the Desire but I keep hearing about the Supersonic/Evo (HD 2 Android and/or US only?) and just seen some blurb about new Samsung Android beast.

One thing is for sure, I want to change my Touch HD to an Andriod device.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of Apple, the iphone is a nice bit of kit but I hate the way Apple have to control everything.

I am looking forward to hands on with the Desire but I keep hearing about the Supersonic/Evo (HD 2 Android and/or US only?) and just seen some blurb about new Samsung Android beast.

One thing is for sure, I want to change my Touch HD to an Andriod device.

HTC EVO 4G is Sprint's Android-powered knight in superphone armor, we go hands-on -- Engadget

wow, htc evo looks awsome

I can't imagine it will be any different to the Nexus One, expect possibly the MicroSD card. So no screen protector, but a protective pouch, USB cable, mains charger, MicroSD card (8GB in N1), wired headset and some paperwork.

Eh? Think all that phone swopping is playing with your memory, its a 4gb MicroSD card suppied with the N1 Rob!:D

I do like the Desire but afterseeing the Evo I'm not so sure now, it looks awesome!!
New to Android but is it possible to use homescreen widgets on stock Android or do I need sense for that?

Widgets are available on stock Android. You can even get widgets that make stock Android look like Sense if you wish.

And don't wait for the Evo, since it's a 4G CDMA/WiMAX handset for the US only. No doubt there will be a UK version at some stage, but nothing concrete yet.

Widgets are available on stock Android. You can even get widgets that make stock Android look like Sense if you wish.

And don't wait for the Evo, since it's a 4G CDMA/WiMAX handset for the US only. No doubt there will be a UK version at some stage, but nothing concrete yet.

I reckon your right Rob, I think we might see an HD3 later in the year, probably around Nov in line with other launches, that can be bought with either Android or WP7.........

And thats nice to know, I'm not totally sold on the Desire yet, and after reading what you've said about the keyboard not being great and signal issues on the N1 I'm not so sure now.

Wrong section but dont suppose you could give me a linky in the nexus forum!

Cheers

I reckon your right Rob, I think we might see an HD3 later in the year, probably around Nov in line with other launches, that can be bought with either Android or WP7.........

And thats nice to know, I'm not totally sold on the Desire yet, and after reading what you've said about the keyboard not being great and signal issues on the N1 I'm not so sure now.

Keyboard is fantastic on the n1. i use it a lot at work as im a android developer. Dont know what issues rob had with the keyboard but it was fine.

Signal wise it depends where you live and in our office, teh signal was fantastic on a t mobile sim.

Keyboard is fantastic on the n1. i use it a lot at work as im a android developer. Dont know what issues rob had with the keyboard but it was fine.

Signal wise it depends where you live and in our office, teh signal was fantastic on a t mobile sim.

Thats good to know, I don't mind the keyboard on my HD2 so if its as good as that I'd be happy, also thats good I will be using T-Mobile likely for my Desire or N1. (or X10!)

I do like the Desire but afterseeing the Evo I'm not so sure now, it looks awesome!!
New to Android but is it possible to use homescreen widgets on stock Android or do I need sense for that?

Thats what i was thinking, but no idea if its coming to the UK or not.

Thats what i was thinking, but no idea if its coming to the UK or not.

Yeah as its 4G I reckon we won't see it, I think the next "Big" HTC phone in size anyway will be an HD3 late this year, with Android and/or Windows Phone 7.

The HD2 keyboard is better than the Android stock keyboard, as the key sizes are larger (physically on screen).

It's all personal opinion of course, which is why it's so important to try before you buy. But personally, I found the Android keys are too narrow and the auto-correction isn't quite good enough to make up for it.

The HD2 keyboard is better than the Android stock keyboard, as the key sizes are larger (physically on screen).

It's all personal opinion of course, which is why it's so important to try before you buy. But personally, I found the Android keys are too narrow and the auto-correction isn't quite good enough to make up for it.

Thanks Rob, I might wait until I get a shot then, only Android phones I've ever played with are the G1 and Hero so I don't know what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom