HTC Hero no signal, can i exchange?

facial

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi, well i got my HTC hero last month and have loved it, except i keep getting cut off phone conversations and losing signal all the time, its fine in my old e71 and my old G600 and my dads blackberry! So i rang orange On Monday and the guy was very helpful said its not good enough and there are exchanging the phone between 9 and 1 today, which is the best bit of service Orange have ever given me (if they turn up).

Now if i still get the same problems that must be a phone issue right? Has anyone else had the same problems?

I have been using my phone to try and set up a lot of business things and keep getting cut off is hardly professional :thumbsdow where would i stand in asking for a different handset if the problem continues?

Sam

Well as for between 9 and 1, it has just arrived, and i have no signal? :confused::thumbsdow

i have a similar issue, i got mine sim free and my N95 worked fine on 3 and my hero in the same room doesn't.

The other thing is i get less reception from the same sim card as my girlfriend has in her tatoo in the same room so i'm assuming reception isn't the hero's strongest point, as a result i'm ditching 3 next month when my contract is up and jumping over to a lovely sim only deal.

It's weird though, i have a load of the free payg sim's accross all of the networks and it seems like it's only vodafone and o2 that liked the phone, conveniently the 2 that don't actually carry the thing either. Orange received nothing at all and T-Mobile seemed to only be 2G which isn't what i want from a phone like this

Well i am about to phone them and request a different phone. this is stupid, its cut me off 5 times this morning, when my dad, on orange has been on a conversation for an hour 1m away from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

Spoken to two people at orange, apparently you cant get a different handset untill you have had 3 of the same one with the problem!! So far i have had two with another being sent tomorrow, this to me seems stupid, whether this next one works or not its going back, i dont want it to happen again and they say oh well you need to have another two before we can do it as its been so long since the last issue! :facepalm:

Lets hope it gets here as quick as the one came this morning, in the meen time i am using a blackberry...full signal :thumbsup:

im getting the same, and i thought it was just where i am, but my neighbour came round and shes on t-mobile too and she had full signal ( on a different phone).
the signal comes and goes from nothing to 2 bars which like you have said is pathetic for a phone like this. i have only had my phone for 4 to 5 days now and to me its just not on, but im glad that im not the only one.
i am goign to try my t-mobile in my old nokia 5800 and see what reception i get in that, if i get a good one then i will be right on the phone to t-mobile as i have only just gone to them from a o2 payg and not happy at all with the reception, even in the middle of town i only got one to two bars which is stupid imo.
i will report back when i have tried it in the nokia.

well just tried it in me nokia and i get a better reception but its not full like it is with o2.
on the nokia it is reading from half way to full (not 3g), so it does look like the antenna on the hero is a bit sus. with o2 i get half full signal with 3.5g but not with t-mobile. so it looks like t-mobile's mast much be further away or summut but my sim in both phones the nokia has double the signal strength, where as in my g2 it is from no service to half.
sorry for the waffling on, but im not that good with phones.

Well try tmobile, i spoke to orange and they are sending another one tomorrow morning, to be fair the last one came at 915 so it should be here about the same time i guess.

But i cant have a DRM different replacement model, untill i have the fault with 3 handsets.

I like the hero, but i prefer to be able to make and receive calls :thumbsdow

it's a strange one, it fluctuates wildly without moving the phone, but o2 was my ones favourite sim but the signal seems less than lesser phones, whether it's a problem or it's just being more honest than other phones i don't know. Mine being sim free seems to like going in to roaming mode which i still dont know if it is costing me more money on my bill. All that said my friend has one like mine on o2 and loves it, she said it never drops a call and always has a H on the internet connection.

A tip i saw was that the antenna itself is in the "chin" of the phone so dont grip the bottom too tightly because it blocks some of it.

Well orange are now refusing to change my handset. They say its down to signal, the exact area of my work, home and where i visit london, apparently are in their drop out areas for 3g, so when i told them i have a blackberry next to me with full 3g signal, he said oh well that can happen :facepalm:

I spent over 3 hours on the phone to them today. Fed up. and wont be uping my contracts, will be reducing them down asap and canceling my existing ones in march and my rolling 30 day next month.

Surly they should provide me with a phone that can use a premium service that i am paying a premium amount for. :mad:

don't buy sim free though

i called 3 and said i had a problem and they just said not our fault, you got the handset. I wouldn't mind but they carry the hero now so should know something about it:facepalm:

update on my situation,
i rang tmobile for the second time today and they are sending me a replacement phone, so lets hope that this cures my problem.
the first phonecall i made he just got me to do a factory reset to cure it. well done that and i gave it a couple of days with no joy so rang them again today.

well another upset update here,
had the replacement yesterday and im having the same problem with this handset.
im a bit more angry this time as i took my wife and her friend to a tumour clinic today and drop them off and wait in the carpark for a phonecall to go and pick them up at the entrance. yep its happened again there and couldnt get a signal,(came home and checked the signal on there website first and it was suppose t be good, her friend is on tmobile too and she had full signal on hers, says everything really) i had to send a text and when there was a single bar hit send and send asap just to make sure she knew where i was.
got home and rang tmobile again and told them all this and they are sending me out another phone and fair play to them, he said he would ring every other day just to make sure that the same aint happening. you cant get much better service than that.
well thats my little saga over until tomorrow, lets hope this next one works as it should.

hi

i was just wondering if anyone had any resolution to the problem as i have exactly the same problem, and now after saying if the same problem occurs they'd give me a different handset they now say i can't have one.

Thanks

to update my situation, after all these problems i tried o2 simplicity and mine works fine now with very rare drops in to 2g signal so have told 3 to get lost and i'm now a happy hero owner :clap:

in this though i think i've found the underlying problem causing issues (well my ones) and that's the network sharing that the operators are doing. before leaving 3 told me to change my phone on to orange as they share networks but on the hero you can't do this. So my phone was having to jump networks constantly and this resulted in the roaming mode and lack of internet access when reduced to 2g reception. Now i'm on o2 who have almost all their own network it seemelessly goes in to 2g mode with no loss of connection or anything.

One thing i now notice though is the reception gauge is actually 2, unlike my old phone where under half reception usually meant 2g the hero will go down to 0 bars with a H then fly up to 4 bars with a G, so it looks like i have no signal when infact i have loads for calling/texting/basic internet

In simple any operator that shares their network will struggle on a sim free hero and maybe the phone overall unless they have put something on to cover it up.

hope these observation help any of you get this resolved.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom