Best Remote question

stonking

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an XP based PC linked to my main PC which has all my music etc on. I want to control the XP based PC from my lounge while it lives in the room next door. I want to access my music + the internet so I will have to be able to type. It will display on my TV and the sound go through my surround sound system. What remote would be best for me? Nothing to fancy / expensive.

Thanks

Stephen

how about an old iPod Touch via WiFi link? I have seen them sell for as little as £50.

If you have an old touch screen Android phone you can use that as a Wifi mouse too. Here is another Android one, also this one is a little on the basic side.

Last edited:
Bear with me here. Are you saying us an old phone and connect to my PC via some sort of WI-Fi device? What sort of WI-FI would that be?

Stephen

Assuming your HTPC will be connected to your wireless Internet router and the same wireless network also covers in the lounge, the phone should be able to communicate with the PC via said WiFi link.

Alternatively you can extend an USB connection from the PC into the lounge. This can be accomplished by daisy chaining "active booster" USB extension cables together, very important, with a mains powered USB hub placed in between every 5 meter extension cable. Rather messy and you will need access to power sockets all along the cable route.
The advantage is that this way you can use any USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo. You will even be able to have an iPod dock or USB webcam in the lounge. So while awkward to setup it does have it's advantages.

Last edited:
Where do I get the software from so that the PC can interact with the IPod?

Thanks for the help. It looks like a good way forward except I am thinking I want something a bit bigger so that I can type easy.

Logitech do a very good app for the iPod, which is a keyboard and touch pad. Works over Wifi. Also, you could do what i've done, where my htpc is 3 metres from the living room, in a hall cupboard. I use a Pyramid remote extender, and a USB wireless Logitech Keyboard and mouse. I have a 3 metre usb male/female cable running into the loft from the pc with the end of the cable having the usb receiver on it, nestled over the living room, under the loft flooring. Works perfect. No booster required.

Yes both of those ideas are appealing. I will go into PC world tomorrow and have a look around and then check prices on line. Thanks.

OK, so I am thinking a Logitech diNovo Mini. Anyone had any experience of one of these?

Regards and thanks for all the help.

Stephen

That one is Bluetooh, so you may have to lay the USB extension cable to bring the USB Bluetooth adapter into the same room.

Yes I was thinking of getting a extension for the USB, pushing it through a hole in the wall and Bobs your Uncle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom