It's not original but...

alp078

Standard Member
Reaction score
It's not original but I'm excited to share with you the early progress in installing my new LG 42SL8000 into a false chimney breast (in front of an existing chimney breast).

Basically I wanted the tidy look of a flush (near to flush) mounted screen with all the associated benefits of hiding away cables etc. I don't have the same kind of budget as some on here, but given this is quite a small lounge it will all do just fine. Better than fine, it'll be great.

I've tackled a few bits and pieces on the DIY front in the past, but much of what I am taking on here is new to me and I have to say a big thanks to all the users of these forums who have inspired me along the way and from whom i have picked up tips and advice through following their own work.

Anyway, a few pictures to get the thread started and more to follow.

Attachments

• DSCF2277.JPG
    DSCF2277.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCF2279.JPG
    DSCF2279.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCF2280.JPG
    DSCF2280.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 691
To follow my first post... I wanted to shift the radiator position from the left hand wall (as you look at pic. 1) to under the window. It gets it out from behind the sofa which hasn't been ideal and also gives me back the few inches that the new wall will encroach into the room. With the floor up for the work i took the chance to get cabling for the rears and sub in.

Yesterday evening I started to frame out the false wall. It will eventually house three AE Aegis in wall speakers and will have an alcove/shelf in the bottom for a few livingroom-type accessories.

I'm really pleased with how its coming on. Even taking into account the fact that the old walls aren't straight the frame is going up easier than i hoped. I just wonder how early is too early to get out in the garden with my power tools this morning to carry on!?!

Pretty happy with progress over the weekend, even having stopped to enjoy the sunshine. The frame is completed and boarded over with 18mm MDF, ready to fill, sand and eventually paper. Plugged the HD box back in and wired the speakers to make sure everthing is working as it should be before going any further and, of course, to have a little listen whilst watching the final... final ever, episode of 24. Can't believe it's over...no more Jack Bauer... DAMNIT!

Attachments

• DSCF2285.JPG
    DSCF2285.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCF2287.JPG
    DSCF2287.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
Nothing hugely exciting to update with. The football has put paid to a few hours that would otherwise have seen some more progress. I've still got a fair bit done, but mainly on the wall opposite the screen which was old lathe and plaster, blown to bits and in need of replacing.

False wall has been filled, sanded and sized for papering. I'm happy with the finish, but may still line before papering proper. I'm sure it would be ok, but you spend so long working on something that you just don't want to risk any blemish showing through. Think i'm getting a bit pathetic and OTT with regards to the filling and sanding, but as my Dad would say, it's all in the preparation.

So, this week i will mainly be wallpapering.

BT are coming around later to replace and update our master socket. The existing one is old and literally dangling off the wall. May even find some improvments in performance of the line - i'd be surprised if we don't. It'll also be located in a position more convenient to the AV equipment etc.

Took delivering of two cabinets that i designed online with a company called Jali. I haven't seen them mentioned on here before but would defo recommend them for a cheap(ish) route to some bespoke solutions. OK, its all only MDF, but when primed and painted they should look the business. I have one for each alcove beside the chimney. I'll add some photos as they come together.

Anyway, photos...

1. The old crumbling wall
2. Trying to keep the dust in just one part of the house - didn't do badly!
3. New PB wall ready for filling and sanding
4. False chimney ready for papering

Until next time...

alp

Attachments

• DSCF2289.JPG
    DSCF2289.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCF2290.JPG
    DSCF2290.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCF2291.JPG
    DSCF2291.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCF2292.JPG
    DSCF2292.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 421
all this football and hot weather makes it hard to keep up to date.

A couple of pics to catch up a bit below. The new chimney breast front has been papered and shelves gone in beneath where the TV will hang (though that one is just cosmetic really) and at the bottom. Alcove cupboards delivered and ready to go in and so forth.

Anyway, I'm actually quite a way further on than this, but hadn't yet posted this update. I'll follow on later tonight with a real time view of where I am at.

Apologies for the pic quality. The wallpaper has a 'ribbed' embossed effect which my camera doesnt seem to much like!

alp

Attachments

• DSCF2295.JPG
    DSCF2295.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF2293.JPG
    DSCF2293.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 339
so here we go, photos as things are today.

Cabinets have gone into the alcoves, but still need to toy with the doors a little and get some handles on and tidy up the skirts. I left the back off the left hand cabinet as it houses the amp, sky hd box, ps3 and POHD mini and is sat about an inch away from the back wall all to help with ventilation.

I need to tidy up the remaining skirts around the new chimney breast and finish off the wood trim both surrounding the Tv and inthe lower recess. Quite pleased with how these have turned out. We aren't big into ornamnets and stuff, but it will be nice to have a few bits on the bottom there and I am happy to have not left much space around the TV... Just enough for it to breath and for me to get my hands around the sides as and when i need to take it off the wall.

The paint colour is Laura Ashely 'Eau De Nil' and is a soft, light sage colour. Not sure it really comes through in the pics as the sun was heavy in the room when i took these, even with the curtains closed. We think it works well with the white paintwork and gives kind of a 'New England' feel or 'coastal' perhaps, given that we live by the sea :)

Kit list as it stands (not sure i'll be allowed to add anything more!)
LG 42 SL8000
Onkyo Tx-SR308
3 x AE Aegis 155ci (L,C,R)
Q Acoustics QAV rears
Yamaha YST FS100 Sub (might get away with upgrading this)
PS3
Sky HD
Play-on MiniHD
Bluedelta Hideaway IR repeater

alp

Attachments

• DSCF2714.jpg
    DSCF2714.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF2293.JPG
    DSCF2293.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 393
  • DSCF2716.jpg
    DSCF2716.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 395
  • DSCF2718.jpg
    DSCF2718.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 550
Looks great so far, a really nice clean install :cool:

nice and neat - giving me some good ideas for my "soon to start" garage conversion.

Can I ask - the L,C,R speakers being so close - does that sound weird at all? Does it work ok?

Hi, thanks all for the positive comments.

Booyaka - The L,C,R are pretty close, but we find it quite acceptable. The listening position is directly opposite the screen and only about 3 metres back, so we feel right in amongst it all. I toyed with the idea of either having bookself speakers on the alcove cabinets or widening the chimney breast (as well as building it out at the front) but stuck with my original plans and am happy to have done so. A wider chimney (and narrower alcoves) would have looked wrong in my opinion.

I was sure i wanted to keep this as clean as possible, so wall installation was, for me, the best way of achieving a good sound but not having AV kit encroach on the room.

I'll keep the updates coming.

Very nice job, tidy, well thought out and well made, hats off to you fella.:smashin:

Kind regards,
Linx

looks nice

What is the wallpaper? I think it's the first wallpaper i've ever seen that I like.

The cabinets are nice as well, finished with some quality handles will make it all look ace. Mind mentioning how much those cabinets cost?

hi mate

glad you like the look of the wallpaper (well, at least from the pics!). I can't off the top of my head recall what it is called, but it can be bought from B&Q or Homebase (they both do there own versions) and you'll find it along with the other textured wall coverings. Obviously its intended for painting and its my preference over painting straight onto plain walls.

The cabinets are priced according to the sizes. The Jali website has an online design tool. I started with their basic cabinet design and tailored it to suit my alcoves and shelving requirements. You also get to make some decisions around the skirting, upright detail, shelves etc. I think the two, including delivery came to about £300. They literally machine it all to your spec, flat pack it with all the necessary fixings and off you go. As i've said in an earlier post, its not the highest quality being MDF, but painted up nicely i really like them. I still have some work to do trimming the doors and tidying the skirts and paint work but i'll take some more close up pics when they are done.

I didnt trust either my walls or my measuring, so ordered both cabinets at a few mm wider than i expected i would need so i could sand them down to fit. It proved to be a good idea, especially seeing as my alcoves are different widths front and back! :rolleyes:

alp

:thumbsup:
What a nice crisp clean install. Looks really well planned and executed and you've obviously achieved the design brief that you set yourself.

I wonder how much delay the World Cup caused to DIY projects up and down the country:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom